Bahamas wahoo reports 10-18 to 10 - 20?

BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
I struggled in Bimini Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning before coming home humbled and my tail between my legs...on Friday a friend of mine got 4 and he was talking to a friend if his that had 4... Am I the only zero or did others have it tough going too?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• the other tomthe other tom Posts: 122 Deckhand
    We fished friday up north and east, waiting until 11:00 for our first of three fish that day. Just before heading in Friday we put the gear back in the water off Bimini Bay and caught one. Saturday our first of three came halfway between South Bimini and Gun Cay at 0745, two more followed down by Ocean Cay. Sunday we caught three nice ones and had two try to eat a lead all within an area just north of Ocean again. Tide did not seem to influence the bite at all, Sat and Sun we didn't get a bite after 10:30 am. I would have predicted better fishing given the mid-morning tide and the full moon. We were at Bluewater, nobody caught any there, a few boats at SeaCrest were cleaning a few fish. Largest was 48#, smallest was 18#. #3 position with a yellow and green ACE lure caught almost every fish. 200' right corner.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    We fished friday up north and east, waiting until 11:00 for our first of three fish that day. Just before heading in Friday we put the gear back in the water off Bimini Bay and caught one. Saturday our first of three came halfway between South Bimini and Gun Cay at 0745, two more followed down by Ocean Cay. Sunday we caught three nice ones and had two try to eat a lead all within an area just north of Ocean again. Tide did not seem to influence the bite at all, Sat and Sun we didn't get a bite after 10:30 am. I would have predicted better fishing given the mid-morning tide and the full moon. We were at Bluewater, nobody caught any there, a few boats at SeaCrest were cleaning a few fish. Largest was 48#, smallest was 18#. #3 position with a yellow and green ACE lure caught almost every fish. 200' right corner.

first, thanks for the detailed report. much appreciated. i am surprised also that the bite was not red hot. i was expecting big numbers.

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Reason it was only so so was I wasn't on the boat:grin
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    we were up at white sands at dawn and saw that there was a bunch of weed so we tried for an hour with no bites and got covered up in weed every 2 minutes so we said screw it and went and shot fish
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    The other Tom...that is pretty good catching compared to what I did! Thanks for the report, I didn't like the barometer over the weekend for Wahoo, not that they can't be caught, just that it's not an aggressive bite....Interesting about the yellow and green color...I have never been a big believer in colors but now maybe I have to add one of those to my collection (LOL)....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • the other tomthe other tom Posts: 122 Deckhand
    I wouldnt put too much emphasis on the lure color, in my experience the position is important as well. Sometimes they bite the longs, sometimes its at the back of the boat. The lack of currrent had a lot to do with it. There was plenty of water coming out of the cuts and channels off the banks with the moon, but there was very little north running all weekend and thus there was no real defined "edge" where the green water from the banks hits the GS blue water ripping north. I anchored up down past Ocean for yellowtailing, we struggled to get a few fish with chum fallling straight down in 85' of water. Deep dropping was good for us, at least on some spots north where the full moon sometimes slows the bite. We were the older Rybo.
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    Great, thanks, you are right, there wasn't any current deep dropping now that you mention it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]