Hobie Cat Pro Angler Kayak

Hi All,

Was wondering if anybody in this forum owns the Hobie Cat Pro Angler 12 or 14? If so, are you happy with it? I am thinking this may be a better option for me instead of a small flats boat. I am mainly just inshore fishing on my canal which is the Dania Cut Off Canal. Is this kayak pretty sturdy? Can it tip over easy? I know I see alot of kayak fishing videos here on the forum & alot of guys are out in the ocean on their kayaks. Just not sure if some of these are Hobie Cats.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    The Pro Anglers are very popular around here, great for inshore and offshore, I've seen people even do vertical jigging standing up offshore, so they are very stable. BUT, I've also seen/felt the weight of these vessels and consider them more small boat than kayak. If you're going to use a trailer then you should be ok, just don't expect to easily car-top it. But I think i've read some of your posts in the general forum, you normally fish from a dock right? were you thinking to deploy the kayak with a winch or davit?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    The Pro Anglers are very popular around here, great for inshore and offshore, I've seen people even do vertical jigging standing up offshore, so they are very stable. BUT, I've also seen/felt the weight of these vessels and consider them more small boat than kayak. If you're going to use a trailer then you should be ok, just don't expect to easily car-top it. But I think i've read some of your posts in the general forum, you normally fish from a dock right? were you thinking to deploy the kayak with a winch or davit?

Strictly from our dock just load into the water and go. Actually thought about putting it on a boatlift so that people don't steal it (If I decide to get one). A few years ago, we had a kayak stolen off our dock.
    Its heavy enough to be cumbersome, but light enough to be stolen by two determined perps. You could probably pass a chain through the drivewell when its not in use and padlock that to your lift or dock.
    It will be a great fishing platform for you.
    Its heavy enough to be cumbersome, but light enough to be stolen by two determined perps. You could probably pass a chain through the drivewell when its not in use and padlock that to your lift or dock.
    It will be a great fishing platform for you.

I looked at them about 6 months ago or so at a local dealer here. I sat in this particular model too. Very spacious. I would be able to get into the little finger canals & fish as opposed to having a small flats boat that may not fit in there.

I take it you have this exact model? Do you have a fishfinder on yours? Just curious
    heh, no I have a Hobie Revo11 which is much smaller (lighter = better for me, I have occasional lower back problems), but I've fished with the guys that have the PA12 and PA14. The mechanics of the mirage drive are the same across the models, but the deck layout is as different as they come. For example, using the same pedals, mine's a bit faster due to the narrow hull, but I cannot stand like you would be able to in the PA. The PA also has a superior seat which is very comfortable, whereas i sit in a puddle all day when i fish offshore.
    heh, no I have a Hobie Revo11 which is much smaller (lighter = better for me, I have occasional lower back problems), but I've fished with the guys that have the PA12 and PA14. The mechanics of the mirage drive are the same across the models, but the deck layout is as different as they come. For example, using the same pedals, mine's a bit faster due to the narrow hull, but I cannot stand like you would be able to in the PA. The PA also has a superior seat which is very comfortable, whereas i sit in a puddle all day when i fish offshore.

I hear ya. I have lower back problems myself (bulging disc, etc.). I see the PA has an option for the Electric motor plus a live well too. I would definitely include all that. I remember it being comfortable when I sat in it. My local dealer is Nautical Ventures in Dania. Not sure who else in the Dania area carries these.
    Nautical Ventures is a good store. I buy from them as well. They're moving soon, maybe they'll have sale prices when they get to the new location?

For the fish finder, those kayaks are plumbed to take Lowrance units. I have the Elite4, its not bad. I cheaped out and didn't spring for the DSI model though.
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    if you have back problems, certain models of the Native brand kayaks have extremely comfortable "first class seating". Dont know if u have looked into these at all
    Nautical Ventures is a good store. I buy from them as well. They're moving soon, maybe they'll have sale prices when they get to the new location?

For the fish finder, those kayaks are plumbed to take Lowrance units. I have the Elite4, its not bad. I cheaped out and didn't spring for the DSI model though.

Yes I know they are moving (site shows 10 days which is the end of this month) & I know exactly where they are going to be located. BTW, alot of mullet being chased in the canal last night. Boy it was intense. Went on for over an hour. Unfortunately I got skunked. Oh well. Really looking forward to getting up & down the canal here one of these days instead of staying on the dock. A bunch of us went out last Monday evening Snook fishing around Port Everglades & we all got skunked. Disappointing to say the least. That is why it is called fishing & not catching. Thanks for the feedback!
    if you have back problems, certain models of the Native brand kayaks have extremely comfortable "first class seating". Dont know if u have looked into these at all

I don't have constant everyday lower back problems Thank God for that. Once in a while it flares up & thank God for the hot tub!!
    Waiting to hear from my buddy Zimmernole here!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    Waiting to hear from my buddy Zimmernole here!

I'd love to have a PA 12, it's like the cadillac of kayaks. You're going straight to the top of the pecking order there! Amazing boat, great seat, standability and you can even take a small child (or another woman) in the back. A friend on here takes his PA14 out with his wife on the back (paging Mr. Richard)

You can't go wrong with this boat.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    I'd love to have a PA 12, it's like the cadillac of kayaks. You're going straight to the top of the pecking order there! Amazing boat, great seat, standability and you can even take a small child (or another woman) in the back. A friend on here takes his PA14 out with his wife on the back (paging Mr. Richard)

You can't go wrong with this boat.

Yeah that is what I figured Zimmernole. I really like that kayak. When I sat in it & saw how spacious it was and comfortable I really was happy with it. Been weighing the pros & cons of a small flats boat over the months & doing my homework & I have more going against me mainly because I don't have any boating experience, never owned a boat, don't really know much about how to maintain one. Boats are always better when they are somebody else's boat & somebody else's headache too. So I guess I am best off probably getting this kayak. Definitely will get the electric motor option, live well & fishfinder too.
  • cag215cag215 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    I have the PA12...love it.... I can easily spend 8 to 10 hours fishing in it....
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    Yeah that is what I figured Zimmernole. I really like that kayak. When I sat in it & saw how spacious it was and comfortable I really was happy with it. Been weighing the pros & cons of a small flats boat over the months & doing my homework & I have more going against me mainly because I don't have any boating experience, never owned a boat, don't really know much about how to maintain one. Boats are always better when they are somebody else's boat & somebody else's headache too. So I guess I am best off probably getting this kayak. Definitely will get the electric motor option, live well & fishfinder too.

Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Given your lack of experience, the PA will be cheaper in the long run. The Dania cut off canal is not the type of area novice boaters should be operating. You can run aground VERY easily! The PA will also give you a nice amount of exercise and hands free fishing. $20 for a cable or $40 for a chain here and there to maintain the mirage drive as opposed to $100s of boat repairs and GAS!!!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    I love my PA14. I mainly fish offshore on it. It's fast, stable, and comfortable. I don't have any complaints or regrets about getting one.

Transporting it can be the only challenge. You CAN car top it with a little practice, but throwing it in the back of a pickup is the easiest. Keeping it at your dock is even easier, but I'm sure you'll want to take it places.

Here are a couple of videos of mine.

[URL] [/URL]

[URL] [/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Also... Go to nautical ventures and test them out. There is no where else in Broward that sells Hobie. Why do you want the motor? They are great without the motor. IMHO, the motor takes the fun out of it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • BobbkkatBobbkkat Posts: 141 Officer
    I have a PA 14 and a 12 and I love both of them. I can easily stand up and push pole my 12, so the 14 is a piece of cake. They are extremely stable, I spearfish out of my 12 and I can get in and out no problem. If you are looking for a little more speed and maneuverability, I would suggest the 12. If that isn't a big deal and you want the extra room, go with the 14.
    Coby
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.unfairlures.com

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif
  • SwampThing07SwampThing07 Posts: 350 Deckhand
    ^how do you feel on the flats with the 12? I fish a lot of shallow water that I dont think that can get in with the mirage drive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  • BobbkkatBobbkkat Posts: 141 Officer
    I have no issues with my mirage drive in shallow water. You can do a "partial kick" or side kick whatever you like to call it and make it through shallow water with no problems. You just make the fins move a little below the yak and it will move you along fine.

Coby
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.unfairlures.com

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif
    Bobbkkat wrote: »
    I have no issues with my mirage drive in shallow water. You can do a "partial kick" or side kick whatever you like to call it and make it through shallow water with no problems. You just make the fins move a little below the yak and it will move you along fine.

Coby

You can also pull the drive and paddle or just stand and pole the PA. I've seen my buddy do it 100 times in his PA12 and he gets SKINNY sometimes.
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • SwampThing07SwampThing07 Posts: 350 Deckhand
    Just what I want to hear! Hopefully I can upgrade next year (even though I just bought my cuda 14)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2