whats the best way to add decals.

I've searched through the forum, can't find any advice. I've did plenty of web research and see multiple ways, from sanding to heat guns to adhesives. What do you guys do to attach your decals to your kayak? Thanks!

Replies

• Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    I just wipe the area down with 70-90% rubbing alcohol. Most new hulls have some type of wax residue that helped release the hull from the mold, which won't allow the decal adhesive to adhere.
    If it's a lower quality decal, I will first apply it to a piece of vinyl (decal), usually black, trim to fit, then apply to hull.

Example- this IAFF (red decal) is cheap, so I used the black vinyl and trimmed to fit.
    IMG_20130712_101758.jpg
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    I just wipe the area down with 70-90% rubbing alcohol. Most new hulls have some type of wax residue that helped release the hull from the mold, which won't allow the decal adhesive to adhere.
    If it's a lower quality decal, I will first apply it to a piece of vinyl (decal), usually black, trim to fit, then apply to hull.

Example- this IAFF (red decal) is cheap, so I used the black vinyl and trimmed to fit.
    IMG_20130712_101758.jpg

So just wiping down the hull! and they stay on for a while? I have a hobie so same hull as your PA. and yes vinyl decals. I did the sand and heat, for on decal and a little part already started to peel back after first time in ocean. I took a dab of super glue to lightly rub over it.

Ill go pick up some rubbing alcohol now and give that a shot today. still think for extra security ill wipe a little super glue over decals
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    I don't think that smooth finish hulls should be sanded or roughed up for decals....heat may help (prior to applying sticker). Super Glue on couners & points sounds like a good idea, but not so sure about "wiping a little glue over decals".

Good luck.....