2006 Suzuki 175 oil light flashing...

Tangled UpTangled Up Posts: 92 Deckhand
Hello,
I was out for a ride tonight and noticed the Suzuki gauge that has the oil light on it start to flash. I turned around and came home just fine as I was not far from my house. I would like to start to trouble shoot the issue now. Because I bought my boat and motor used I do not have a trouble shooting Suzuki manual. If you are familiar with this motor or any Suzuki mechanics out there that could lead me in the right direction to start looking for the reason the oil light is flashing would be a great help. I am pretty mechanically inclinded and I have the ability to follow instructions.
So I am turning to the forum for advice on where to begin.
Thanks

Replies

• FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,476 Captain
    Its probably your oil change reminder, comes on at 20, 100, 200, etc... If no alarms went off then that is what it is. Turn you key on, not the motor, remove the kill switch key, pull the switch out three times, you should hear an audible beep and the light will go off. If you have a Zuke tach, when you go to start the motor before cranking it, your alarms will sounds to make sure they are working, then your tach will shoot up, this will tell you the hours on the motor, 2000rpm = 200 hours, 1000rpm = 100 hours etc..Pm me if you have any problems.
  • Tangled UpTangled Up Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Thanks, I will give it a try first thing in the morning.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    FLDXT wrote: »
    Its probably your oil change reminder, comes on at 20, 100, 200, etc... If no alarms went off then that is what it is. Turn you key on, not the motor, remove the kill switch key, pull the switch out three times, you should hear an audible beep and the light will go off. If you have a Zuke tach, when you go to start the motor before cranking it, your alarms will sounds to make sure they are working, then your tach will shoot up, this will tell you the hours on the motor, 2000rpm = 200 hours, 1000rpm = 100 hours etc..Pm me if you have any problems.

But if you do that, don't forget that it is time to change the motor and gear oil. :thumbsup
    Idlewilde you are correct, the light comes on for a reason!
    Yes my boat was at the Suzuki shop for a 100 hour service 25 hours ago. Everything is up to date. I guess the mechanics overlook resetting this light. This motor is great so I can't complain, but I think Suzuki could give some other type of warning for maintenance. Anyway thanks for the help forum. My light is now off and everything is fine.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Tangled Up wrote: »
    Yes my boat was at the Suzuki shop for a 100 hour service 25 hours ago. Everything is up to date. I guess the mechanics overlook resetting this light. This motor is great so I can't complain, but I think Suzuki could give some other type of warning for maintenance. Anyway thanks for the help forum. My light is now off and everything is fine.

Knot unusual for the shop to forget resetting the oil change. And FYI, Suzuki is the only outboard that has this reminder. What "other type of warning would you suggest?" :shrug
    I like it, keeps you on your toes, is right in front of you and east to reset! Seems like a good system to me.
    Maybe a yellow light? I don't know.
    Light = reminder, Light + Buzzer + RPM drop = problem
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Hey guys,

I have twin 150hp 2010 zukes on the back of my boat and I have to tell you that at around 20 hours, that darn light started to flash on my port engine as I was 15 miles offshore. :hairraiser

My heart sank.. I started to idle towards shore thinking I had an issue.

All of a sudden, the starboard engine started to flash.. coincidental right? When I finally got within cell range, I called only to find out this was the oil change warning. CRAP! :banghead

I will say this... don't rely on this light. At 100 hours, my port light started to flash but the starboard one didn't until 131 hours.

Nick from Nick's Creative Marine said that it isn't a perfected system.

Lastly, I have hour meters that work great. I just had the 200 hour service done and all is well.

Personally, I would rather not have this feature.

Oh, one last thing. You CANNOT reset the light until only AFTER it starts to flash. You cannot pre-empt it by trying to reset it first.

Tangled Up, that was the reason why your mechanic didn't take care of it. He couldn't!

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • WillWill Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Some people would ***** if they were hung with a new rope.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,215 Officer
    Tangled Up wrote: »

the zuke 140, 150-175 have a pressure sensor that will not only blink your light, you'll get a buzzer and the motor will lock down rpms to 1000 (if i remember coorectly)...
    if it over heats....same deal but will default the rpm limiter to 3000...
    in any event, a serious engine fault will shut the motor down or limit rpm...

mac
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002