Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Destin/Relentless 10/12/13

We have fished the Rodeo the last 8 years, except one, on the Relentless.I met Dickie in 94 when we crewed a sailboat down to Mexico and Belize and he has been a dear friend ever since.He is actually more like a Papaw than anything.Dickie has been planning this trip every year for lord knows how long and man he plans it up nice.There were 10 of us fishing this year,all from Columbus.I managed to get my regular fishing crew to scrape up the money and go this year.We left the dock at daylight and to my suprise Capt headed east along the beach for bait.He generally drops at the buoys like everyone else but he knew somthing i didnt.He had a number about 3 miles E that was LOADED with hardtails and cigs.I mean bigguns.We baited up and headed s/se which again is not what we were used to.Capt Brant is kind of an **** but he knows is stuff and had us on nice AJ after about and 1.5 hour ride.We spent the next part of the day catching and culling aj and moved a couple of times and the fish got a littler bigger after every move.We got our limit of aj and then changed gear and moved on to RS fishing.The RS were there and it was game on the rest of the day.We moved a few times and managed a limit of nice RS and a few beeliners.Grouper were there but we didnt seem to be able to get their heads turn and got rocked up or cut off.I managed to get one about half way up when he decided to go back to the house.I didnt like the idea but the rod broke right above my pulling hand before i could change his mind.We had a hell of a good time and it was great having Stevo and Earl in th boat.
Dickie didnt get to fish this year due to his health but had his pompoms on the whole day.Richard(Dickies son) and i had a blast as we do every year.
Cant wait til next year!

Replies