What to buy ni 2 or 3 weight that is not super expensive

RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,323 Officer
A friend moved to Franklin North Carolina and has invited me to go do some fly fishing. I suspect that this will happen in the future a few times a year since he just retired and I may do the same soon

I have some experience with 8 and 9 weight for redfish , snook etc. (not that I have caught many).
I spent a significant fortune when I started fly fishing in salt water but do not want to spend a huge amount of money on this new endeavor which may happen once or twice a year

Scott and Sage rods are out of the range
Any fairly good or decent 2 or 3 weight rods in the 100-200 dollar range?

Thanks for any help

Replies

• Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Check out ebay?
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,323 Officer
    I have not
    Any particular brands?
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Check out ebay?

Hi Carl

I have bought most all of my gear on ebay and come away with with some great deals. I have heard you mention that you shop there too. Could you tell please tell us some of the things to look out while shopping for good used high end gear?

Thanks, Jim
  • hooknsnookhooknsnook Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    you should check out cabelas ...redington CT CLASSICS they are on sale for 75.. great rod for the money I have a 8-6" 4wt and really like it..
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    redjim wrote: »
    Hi Carl

I have bought most all of my gear on ebay and come away with with some great deals. I have heard you mention that you shop there too. Could you tell please tell us some of the things to look out while shopping for good used high end gear?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

You have stated above " I have bought most all of my gear on ebay and come away with some great deals" It seems to me your already an expert.

I don't think there is too much to be dubious about when buying from ebay, since most of us use our credit cards to purchase items on ebay and your CC company will stand behind you for most fraudulent transactions.

I can't understand why anybody in there right mind would walk into a fly shop and pay full price for a new rod ,reel or top end fly line regardless of the manufacture.

If I was shopping for a certain reel, I would go to the manufactures web site learn everything I could about that certain reel, especially the price and the options if any about said reel. then when on ebay or any other classified listings forum I would know exactly what to look for and I wouldn't be buying something different from what I thought I was buying, since I know how much it's worth I would automatically know a bargain when I seen it.

Here's another heads up. I pay about 40% less then the normal guy does for his fly tying materials because I buy wholesale direct from the distributor for my fly tying business however I have bought hooks-beads and hackles for at least 50% cheaper on ebay then I could have bought wholesale. Good luck

Carl Blackledge
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Jim,

You have stated above " I have bought most all of my gear on ebay and come away with some great deals" It seems to me your already an expert.

I don't think there is too much to be dubious about when buying from ebay, since most of us use our credit cards to purchase items on ebay and your CC company will stand behind you for most fraudulent transactions.

I can't understand why anybody in there right mind would walk into a fly shop and pay full price for a new rod ,reel or top end fly line regardless of the manufacture.

If I was shopping for a certain reel, I would go to the manufactures web site learn everything I could about that certain reel, especially the price and the options if any about said reel. then when on ebay or any other classified listings forum I would know exactly what to look for and I wouldn't be buying something different from what I thought I was buying, since I know how much it's worth I would automatically know a bargain when I seen it.

Here's another heads up. I pay about 40% less then the normal guy does for his fly tying materials because I buy wholesale direct from the distributor for my fly tying business however I have bought hooks-beads and hackles for at least 50% cheaper on ebay then I could have bought wholesale. Good luck

Carl Blackledge

Thank you for your reply. I am far from an expert, just trying to figure it out. They are some buyers there that sincerely sell really good tackle and then some that do not.

I think we are the same page, thanks again for your time!
  • DKDDKD Posts: 371 Officer
    TFO finesse series - $179. I have never fished one, but have been happy with other TFO products.

Why a 2wt? What are you fishing for?
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    RStyle wrote: »
    A friend moved to Franklin North Carolina and has invited me to go do some fly fishing. I suspect that this will happen in the future a few times a year since he just retired and I may do the same soon

I have some experience with 8 and 9 weight for redfish , snook etc. (not that I have caught many).
    I spent a significant fortune when I started fly fishing in salt water but do not want to spend a huge amount of money on this new endeavor which may happen once or twice a year

Scott and Sage rods are out of the range
    Any fairly good or decent 2 or 3 weight rods in the 100-200 dollar range?

Thanks for any help

I would recommend waiting till you get to NC, go to a fly shop, try out a few. If they won't let you at least cast a few out back I would go to another shop that does. You can get away with a lower end reel when it comes to stream fishing, unlike saltwater in most cases, but you want to be happy with your rod and line. It's not enjoyable to cast a setup you're unhappy with, and if your going to be stream fishing, you'll be casting a lot, especially if using dries. The only way I would buy a rod online is to have first used one. Trying one out a a local shop then buying the same rod online to save a few bucks is a yellow belly maneuver IMO. That said, there are plenty of brands that offer a low end or entry level model with low cost. I like Ross for the lower end models. ($150 or less) also, most rod/reel setups for sale have crappy line that cast horribly.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    IMO, you should first find out what kind of water you will be fishing. My 3 wt. is only 7 ft. long and I use it wherever the streams are small and overgrown. Not much room for casting. Other than that, there are no disadvantages for a longer 9 ft. rod. Longer rods might be able to span more water, keeping the line above areas in which there are varying current speeds. This can affect the natural drift of the fly. My smallest 9 ft. rod is a 4 wt. but this rod is a beast and performs better with a 5; a 6 could be used in an emergency.

Both those rods are Loomis IMX. Today, this would be GL-3. Less expensive and highly recommended. Last I knew, Dave Redington said he was only making glass rods now. They should also work fine.
    .......Rick