Whats in your flybox

Montana1Montana1 Posts: 212 Officer
If you had to pick 5 patterns, what would you carry for the IRL, Mosquito, and Beach of eastern Florida? All I have been tying since moving here has been clousers, and deceivers, and need to mix things up, but also want to ty stuff that works. Remember only five patterns, no color limits.

Replies

• redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Hey Montana

With all those fish you are catching maybe you should be showing us some of yours first! :)

But OK, here are a few of my most productive flies. I fish in very shallow water almost all the time so I have developed a fond appreciation for top water flies. I am sure I am missing out there but I catch a few here and there. Last weekend I caught 6 different species on the cream slider. ODC has tied almost all of my top producers. For the surf, the big ladyfish is unproven to me but I know that is not the case with its maker.

I do not tie anything spending all my free time attempting to find out where these slimy creatures hang out at and working on my cast.

Another very top producer for me has been all colors of Capt Bob Lemay’s speed bug. Capt Bob, like ODC always seems to know just exactly what the fish are chewing on.

My friend, are you able to use that stripping basket on your beach journeys now? I could not dream of ever fishing without mine.

Thanks for looking.

fliescopy_zps8e22b774.jpg
  • redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    The flies above should be great for all the roosters in the Mosquito Lagoon :)

For the lagoons I would bring:
    Clouser
    Crab pattern (sometimes that's all a redfish wants) doesn't have to be realistic
    Topwater- popper or gurgler or both
    Baitfish - deciever style, gartside soft hackle streamer, or EP
    Or my favorite, the seaducer

I would also carry bendbacks as the water can be very shallow and grassy.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Redhead,

I should have posted the fly pics and the fish pics under "what have you been tying"....Somebody on here said I don't tie flies.

Anyway see you guys in about a week, going up North the king Salmon are calling my name.
  • Montana1Montana1 Posts: 212 Officer
    Those are what I was looking for. I need to find some crab patterns that I like, and can tie quickly. I am also kind of surprised no one mentioned any shrimp patterns, everyone always says you need a DOA shrimp, and not to leave home without one, yet no love for shrimp flies?
  • redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    A clouser,seaducer, and bendback will all resemble shrimp.
  • Montana1Montana1 Posts: 212 Officer
    redhead wrote: »
    A clouser,seaducer, and bendback will all resemble shrimp.

I guess thats true. I still think like a trout weenie, where a mayflyis a mayfly, and a caddis, is a caddis, and the two are not interchangeable.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,259 Captain
    Montana1 wrote: »
    I guess thats true. I still think like a trout weenie, where a mayflyis a mayfly, and a caddis, is a caddis, and the two are not interchangeable.

Saltwater fish are typically more opportunistic. We obsess over flies simply because we want to, not because we have to. Your approach, your cast, and the way you present your fly are more important than what you're actually throwing most of the time. I tie what I want, fish what I want. I do have favorites, but nothing that I couldn't substitute for 50 other patterns and expect the same results.