Home Photography Corner

Redtail

FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
I knew I put these up on FB, but not sure if I did here. Didn't spot them so..............

Done with the new to me 300mm F4 Nikon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• Murph's lawMurph's law Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Love both of these.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Dave,
    nice shots....
    i assume you you photographed them from the house...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Both are great. Is it the screwdrive or AF-S version?
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Dave,
    nice shots....
    i assume you you photographed them from the house...

tim

No, down the road a piece. He was monitoring a field for goodies I guess?
    This is the AF-S version
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Nice, you'll be very happy I suspect.
    Chuckc wrote: »
    Nice, you'll be very happy I suspect.

Chuck I guess I wasn't understanding your post but no is it not the AF-S, but the Screwdriver as you stated. Have not shot much with it yet, but seems to work fine on my D200. Is there some drawback to this one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have the screwdrive version too. I hear the AF-S version is a smidge sharper but for the money the old school 300 F4 is hard to beat.
    I need to try it with my Kenko Pro 300 on it. Why do they call it a screwdrive?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The focus mechanism is basically a screw driven by the motor in the camera body. It would not autofocus on a D5200 as there is no focus motor present. The AF-S lenses carry the focus motor in the lens itself and is actuated electrically via the control circuits in the body. A d5200, D40 even would autofocus with the AF-S version. AFAIK there will probably never be another non AF-S lens introduced by Nikkor although I think some are still in production.
    BTW, I have a Kenko pro 300 1.4 TC and used it to shoot this image hand held. I will say that it does seem to do odd things to the bokeh and for that reason I don't often use it.

8420703543_533b264550_b.jpg
    DSC_0844crop by Flcrutch, on Flickr
    Have not played with the TC much yet. Might get a chance soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I need to get mine out again and give it another look.