Cheap flies

spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
Just wanted to let everyone know about a website i buy my flies from. Its anglersdream.net It doesnt have the largest selection but almost all the flies are under 1.50 and are really well tied in my opinion. Im sure that a lot of you tie your own flies but for those who don't check them out. NOTE: I have no affiliation with them i just like their products.
"Insert intelligent sounding quote here"

Replies

• catch itcatch it Posts: 136 Officer
    Support your local shop or you won't have one.
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    catch it wrote: »
    Support your local shop or you won't have one.

X 2!

Instead of spending 1.50 on the fly, I would allow close to that on the hook alone.

Everyone has a different way of doing things and it is all good.
  • Geezer SquidGeezer Squid Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks for the heads up spydie

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    redjim wrote: »
    X 2!

Instead of spending 1.50 on the fly, I would allow close to that on the hook alone.

Everyone has a different way of doing things and it is all good.

Losing a large fish to a bent/broken hook is a pretty horrible feeling. I buy blanks, reels, lines whenever I find a good deal, but hooks and leader material are two things I never skimp on. If you purchase commercially tied flies, be sure they're tied by someone who takes their fishing seriously. The hooks on commercially tied flies are what pushed me to start tying my own.
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    Guys please don't hate. I'm trying to get the word out to people who don't have a lot of money to spend on flies or don't have a local shop. If you disagree with me then don't say anything and just move on. In my opinion they are well tied and have good hooks. I am a novice fly fisherman but the few fish I have caught the hooks posed no problem.
    And here I thought this was a discussion forum.
    If you disagree with me then don't say anything and just move on.

The board is here for people to share ideas, opinions & experiences. If you don't want anyone to comment, than "don't say anything and move on".
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Dear Spydermonkey,

I don't think anyone was hating on you too much. The "use local fly shop" comment comes up whenever anyone mentions buying something (flies, rods, reels, etc) online. Sort of a support-or-lose theme. Same with casting instructions, and hiring guides. It is a good theme.

That said, take care. I can tell you from experience that all discussions are welcome, except those that disagree with Ol' Dirty Caster. As I have pointed out in the past, he is extremely unfit for the job of moderator. He typically uses his authority to suppress and squash those who disagree with him. Next, he has a Greek chorus of favorites who chime up behind him. He welcomes comments, right until someone opposes him.

His response is typical. Rather than let it go, he wants to bully you it a bit. Some people are just unfit for authority.

... and after all that .... who the heck is tying $1.25 tarpon bunnies and Merkins!!?? Probably coming from a factory across the border. I notice the number is from Texas. I know some inexpensive flies are tied in Kenya, and sold by Orvis.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

axe to grind much?

Dear Catch,

in a word, "yes."

The Moderator has a responsibility to be better than average. Cat fights between members of the forum as unavoidable, and probably in the end reasonably harmless. Girls will be girls. Bullying from the Moderator, who has the power to edit, expunge, and suppress others is unacceptable, and shouldn't be allowed.

Who polices the police? All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to stand silent. I see no reason for ODC to bully Spyder, and even less reason for me to stand silently and watch him do it. Silence in some situations becomes approval.

Someone should speak up, and it might as well be me. I am not afraid to become the object of ODC's disapproval.

Mark

I guess what's missing is the ODC bullying... I just don't see it. Maybe this is better handled over PM? That said...I really don't need to get involved.

Regarding the OP. Cheap flies are everywhere online. No need to be a shill for another fly by night site.
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    Someone got up on the wrong side of bed.. And he's as bad as anyone else, if not worse when you disagree with him, and not ODC... LOL
    Signed.. A Chorus Member
    PS, I didn't see where anyone was "bullied", although the poster did seem to be a little peeved over nothing.
    So much for grace finding good in everything.... LOL
    FYIWFG
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Nothing but a unjust rant. Something tells me ODC, did not campaign too much for this wonderful job but probably took it as a chance to share his knowledge with others and that's what he does.

Off to Greek choir practice,.....
    But,

I DO! find goodness in everything.

From what I see, I think ODC ties amazing flies ...!

Mark

• Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Mark,

I love ya man....lol you hit the nail right on the head......Perhaps he had a bad childhood? Just kidding. However there are times when he posts his replies on here and I completely disagree with his opinion, and I'm also sure lots of people disagree with my opinions sometimes. I think the biggest aspect is for everybody to keep an open mind, and especially the younger members who ask all the stupid questions then accuse you of being a hater if you answer them!

My comet on the cheap flies is exactly what they are called "cheap flies" It seems to me that usually the most expensive things are better, and cost more for a good reason, I'm also a legal commercial fly tier I use the best hooks money can buy for that certain pattern in my vice. After all it's the first thing between the fish and I....again my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
    I guess what's missing is the ODC bullying... I just don't see it. Maybe this is better handled over PM? That said...I really don't need to get involved.

Regarding the OP. Cheap flies are everywhere online. No need to be a shill for another fly by night site.

Hey Catch,

I sent that Old dirty guy a PM once and questioned his ancestry. He turned around and sent it to his boss who got me kicked off here for 4 Months......Please don't tell me about him not being a bully, Its not true. He is.

Carl Blackledge
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 210 Deckhand
    SM: When describing the tools of the trade, particularly flies and flytying, nothing gets a flyfishing thread excited more than the word "cheap" "Inexpensive" is softer and less likely to incite.
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    To everyone that has posted on this thread.
    I realize that I probably shouldn't have posted the comment where I told people to stop hating. I know this is a forum and anyone can comment and has the right to comment their opinion. At the time it just seemed that everyone was rushing to the conclusion that I was being suckered into cheap flies that are "cheaply made". I am also sure that some of the posters didn't even check out the website. I do not think people were hating that bad but I took it the wrong way. I was being immature and posted something unnecessary. I just think things can be said in a nicer way.
    -spyder

P.S. Thanks to Sunflower for defending me I really appreciate it.
    Dear Spyder,

no worries. Not doing much defending, no one was really being too unkind. I just didn't see a need for the Moderator to step on you at that point. It was unprofessional.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be perfect if ODC posted both as himself, and as Moderator. As ODC he could be as crotchety as he liked ... same as anyone. As Moderator, hopefully he would be more even-handed. Of course, he would have to refrain from using his Moderator powers to protect his comments and quarrels as ODC. He'd have to take his licks like anyone.
    Mark

Mark

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    The board is here for people to share ideas, opinions & experiences. If you don't want anyone to comment, than "don't say anything and move on".

Here he goes again! This is what happens when a child is given a man’s job and he’s just not up to it. Mark you and Carl and many of us old timers have to tolerate the child moderator. He should take his flies and go home to mommy. I rarely post any more on FS I stick to Danny’s sight,THT and a couple of others where adults treat everyone equally not just someones personal fan club.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    OCD I see what you did there "...", and this is getting funnier by the minute. :wink
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    You "Old Timers" are welcome to comment all you like. It's just that you really seem to be the first to post snide remarks and wonder why you are in the minority. I suppose you three could do an excellent job of moderating, the only posts would be " Buy Abel, spend the most money" and "You kids don't know what you are talking about." This is a "Forum" where anyone can post what they like about the subject being discussed, and as with ANY forum, you better have a thick skin if you happen to post something that the majority do not agree with, the comment above being the perfect example. If you like another forum, more power to you, have at it. And as far as being treated as an adult, act like one..
    FYIWFG
    Aces,

I don't post on this web site to bash anybody, cause trouble or promote Abel reels. Now after all that being said, I just try and give somebody asking a question a good answer...I been around longer then dirt, I spend 30 days in a row in Mexico catching big mean fish (Dorado-Sailfish-Marlin and Roosters), I know what knots, hooks rods and reels hold up trouble free.....I always suggest Abel reels-Sage rods, simply cause they work and are trouble free. What's wrong with that? I also spend another few months a year chasing Salmon-steelhead-trout, I will always have a open mind and willing to try new things in fishing.

Carl
    Abel's are garbage.
    Catch it,

Your absolutely right. You should buy some China/Korea reel for $29.95. I'm sure it would fit right in with the rest of your equipment.

Happy fishing

Carl Blackledge
    Slow day at the office guys?

mtd885 wrote: »
    Here he goes again! This is what happens when a child is given a man’s job and he’s just not up to it. Mark you and Carl and many of us old timers have to tolerate the child moderator. He should take his flies and go home to mommy. I rarely post any more on FS I stick to Danny’s sight,THT and a couple of others where adults treat everyone equally not just someones personal fan club.

You made 7 posts yesterday, just saying.
    OCD I see what you did there "...", and this is getting funnier by the minute. :wink

I had two guys call me while I was on the water to tell me about this thread, between you and me it sounded better over the phone.

sunflower wrote: »

Dear Catch,

in a word, "yes."

The Moderator has a responsibility to be better than average. Cat fights between members of the forum as unavoidable, and probably in the end reasonably harmless. Girls will be girls. Bullying from the Moderator, who has the power to edit, expunge, and suppress others is unacceptable, and shouldn't be allowed.

Who polices the police? All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to stand silent. I see no reason for ODC to bully Spyder, and even less reason for me to stand silently and watch him do it. Silence in some situations becomes approval.

Someone should speak up, and it might as well be me. I am not afraid to become the object of ODC's disapproval.

I'm not the police, more like a janitor that doesn't get paid. Seriously bro, take it up with Griz. There are very few grey areas when it comes to forum rules. They apply to me as well.

I missed it too.
    Hey Catch,

I sent that Old dirty guy a PM once and questioned his ancestry. He turned around and sent it to his boss who got me kicked off here for 4 Months......Please don't tell me about him not being a bully, Its not true. He is.

Carl Blackledge

Your "time out" was voted on by 20 other moderators. If the pope sends an incoherant string of expletives by pm on this forum he's going to get a time out too. Nobody's picking on you Carl.
    sunflower wrote: »
    Dear Spyder,

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be perfect if ODC posted both as himself, and as Moderator. As ODC he could be as crotchety as he liked ... same as anyone. As Moderator, hopefully he would be more even-handed. Of course, he would have to refrain from using his Moderator powers to protect his comments and quarrels as ODC. He'd have to take his licks like anyone.

I'm only a moderator if you break forum rules. As long as there are no personal attacks, or obscenities, than there won't be any moderating. If you think I'm out of line, just tell Griz. I'm just as accountable for my actions as anyone else here, so if you have beef, again, take it up with Griz.
    Carl, you're easy.

The answer presents itself.

One of the nice things about talking things out is that sometimes the problems solve themselves. The solutions spring from the discussion.

ODC suggests that only rarely are his posts written in his "Moderator" role. The problem is that as members we don't know when we are speaking to ODC (a regular member who we can argue with and exchange barbs with like anyone), or Moderator ODC who will take such exchanges and use them, publicly or privately to moderate, control, or punish members. Some people know and like ODC, some people don't.

For me, it is really troubling to have ODC proudly tell us how he used a private message from a member (even a profane private message), took it to the board, and got someone banned from the Forum. I doubt the member knew that was a possibility. Short of a direct threat, I can't see how a private message could have been used as an excuse for a public banishment. But that is behind-the-scenes politics.

The Moderator needs to be better than the members to retain authority. The role requires professionalism, even-handedness, generosity, and a complete commitment to maintaining the peace. The Moderator can't drift from a personal argument or disagreement into an empowered oppression.

For me, ODC is definitely the wrong guy for the job.

But no one seems to be asking for my vote.

It would be great if he used his Moderator powers to create a new character/member ... The Moderator. The Moderator would be fair, generous, and impartial. I doubt many would argue with him. Meanwhile, ODC could argue, disagree, and criticize away as ODC, in the same playpen and with the same set of rules, powers, and rights as all of us.

Or, we could all just go off and go fly fishing.
    Mark

Mark,

Great post as usual. It's very hard for me to understand how you have the patience to articulate a good post for such an unworthy reason. Your not going to change a dam thing that goes on here!

I always get beat up on here for suggesting that serious fly fisherman buy serious gear, you don't see Tiger Woods with K-mart golf clubs, Richard Petty driving a VW. I guess I take too much pride in my sport and passion to use junk equipment.

Carl