Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Lake George Question

Can you run wide open across it? Is there any submerged rocks or anything I should be cautious about? Will be trying to fish this lake for the first time next weekend.

Replies

• littlekidlittlekid Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    The only thing I can think of are some old pylons on the east side of Drayton Island about 100 yards from shore just after you make a southwest turn coming out of the river proper. To be safe I'd leave yourself a 150-200 yard buffer (at high speed) from the shore line. My 2 cents
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    There is some debris in that lake, was an old bomming range back in the day (BIG LAKE). You may want to get a chart to check it out! Have only done OK up there bass fishing, there are some good fish there though, they also have a very good spec run. Do you have a place to stay near there? P/M me for any info you need?? Good Luck, let us know how you do on the fish.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 3,167 Moderator
    I have not been there yet but my nieghbor went there for the first time two weeks ago. He said the nubmer of boats of all sizes was incredible and a very fun place to go. I will look for some water charts for the area and post them up.
    Mark Wilson
    USCG 100t Master, Assist Tow, 200nm Coastal
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS, ABYC, IAMI, FMIU
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc. 
  • Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    Take a look at Jim Porter's page:
    http://www.jimporter.org/lakes/george/

There are some pilings out there in the Bombing Range, but otherwise you should be able to run wide open across the lake. There are Manatee zones
    at the top and bottom of the lake and near the spring runs. If you are bass fishing, I would recommend near the spring runs because the water is probably pretty warm. Also know that there are grass beds (eel grass and others) around the edge of the lake. You will probably have to stay a few hundred yds out from the treeline around most of the lake. You will see PVC poles placed around the edges to warn you.

As far as big boats and partying, they will be in the mouth of Silver Glen, or "The Glen", on the SW side of the lake. Back in the day, this place was crazy, like a redneck Mardi Gras with plenty of "Girls Gone Wild" entertainment. I know they cracked down on it a few years ago, but I believe it has come back a little. All that aside, it's a beautiful spring fed lake with plenty of fish, and very navigable.
  • OysterbottomboyOysterbottomboy Posts: 414 Officer
    The pillings in the bombing range are real easy to spot. The only hazards I know of is close to shore like Gonefishing said, there are some old cow fence posts. As long as you stay a good distance from shore when running wide open you will be fine. I remeber the ole Glen party days. :Rockon now you have to drink your beer out of a cofee mug in there.