Home Egret Boats

Egret Fuel Tank Question

mike345mike345 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Does anyone know the capacity of the fuel tank on a '96 Egret 18.9? I assumed it was 58 or so like the newer boats but have apparently run out of gas 2X now and when fuel up tank only takes around 45 gallons. Is there a reserve system on the tank? The reason I say "run out of gas" is I am restoring an older boat , gas gauge does not work , been tweaking the engine (which is running better). Just got it back in the water and boat running rough ('96 Merc 175 EFI). Has good compression ("engine looks great" per 2 mechanics), had fuel tank pumped out, new filter, VST cleaned, etc. ). Running much better now but have "run out" at 45 gallons and I'm not sure if I am truly "out of gas" (my gut feeling is yes) or it is an engine ,fuel system issue? This may be a stupid question but I am new to Egret and it's hard to find info on this kind of stuff.
Thanks

Replies

• ksjksj Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Mike

A 2001 CF 18.9 fuel capacity is 56 gallons. I have the original owners manual.

Kevin
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 192 Deckhand
    My 95 Egret had a 56 gal.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    might have been a custom smaller tank
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • mike345mike345 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input. I assume it has a 56 gallon like the other boats, maybe there is some issue with the fuel pickup after 45 gallons, that's why I was wondering if might be a reserve, but didn't see any indication there was . May be an issue with the fuel system / engine. I'll keep looking into it. Next time this happens maybe I'll get it pumped out or at least try to siphon it to see if anything in there. On another note that '96 175 Merc suck's the gas down - another reason to consider just repowering.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Mike. I have seen custom tanks in the Egret line for various reasons. Take the sending unit off and measure from inside length , width , and depth and do a calculation.
    http://www.calculatoredge.com/enggcalc/volume.html
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    mike345 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I assume it has a 56 gallon like the other boats, maybe there is some issue with the fuel pickup after 45 gallons, that's why I was wondering if might be a reserve, but didn't see any indication there was . May be an issue with the fuel system / engine. I'll keep looking into it. Next time this happens maybe I'll get it pumped out or at least try to siphon it to see if anything in there. On another note that '96 175 Merc suck's the gas down - another reason to consider just repowering.

It's 56 gallons if it is the original tank.
  • tspotornotspotorno Posts: 10 Deckhand
    I received my Egret 18.9 cpl recently, and was wondering how everyone figures out how much gas is in the tank... I do not see any Fuel Gauge anywhere. There must be something I'm missing?
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    What type of motor?
    Yamaha has a bar graph on the gauge.I believe eight bars representing 7 gals. per bar. (56 gal).
    Also, did you get a fuel flow meter--showing consumption?
    What type GPS unit? If merc motor and garmin--Egret wires in the info.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Mercury Optimax 175
    Lowrance HDS12
    I do not believe I got a fuel flow meter.
    I did have the MercMonitor installed. Have not played with it much to be honest.
    Ok, the guage is on the MercMonitor screen. Never looked at it in depth before, outside of the initial screen.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Mike 345- I would assume 56 gals capacity and suspect your fuel flow/consumption figure is incorrect. FYI- MPG for my 98 C/K with carbed Merc 175 averaged 3.75. I upgraded(?) to a 175 HPDI Yammi and it slightly improved to 4.25
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Your fuel consumption will be displayed on the Merc Monitor Eco screen. Here is the manual attached hope this helps.
    You will not have the fuel readings on the HDS 12 unless you have the Merc Monitor level 2 gauge installed which gives you that function. You most likely have the level 1 gauge which does not output that info. When you turn the key the the gauge will say what level you have on the boot screen.
    Pint the manual and go out side and play with the gauge to familiarize yourself with how it works. It is very easy to operate! Hope this helps!

My fuel economy when i had my 18 with the 175 Opti ProXS was:
    3000 rpms 7.0 mpg
    3500 rpms 6.2 mpg
    4000 rpms 5.5 mpg
    5850 WOT 3.5 mpg

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/Smart_Craft_MercMonitor_5.0v_Owners_Guide.pdf
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    tspotorno wrote: »
    Ok, the guage is on the MercMonitor screen. Never looked at it in depth before, outside of the initial screen.

MercMonitor can display a ton of information.Well worth the money.
    But you have to read the manual or YouTube to know it's capabilities.
    That file box Frank gave you is filled w/ manuals and warranty cards you must go through.
    Send in all warranty cards.
    Congrats on the boat
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    My fuel economy when i had my 18 with the 175 Opti ProXS was:
    3000 rpms 7.0 mpg
    3500 rpms 6.2 mpg
    4000 rpms 5.5 mpg
    5850 WOT 3.5 mpg
    [/URL]
    Same as mine!
    Heh,

Gotta love a 169 page manual for something the size of a hockey puck...

Thanks for the info! Since there are small craft advisories for tomorrow, gives me something to do :)

Tony
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer