Fishing the keys

My brother just got a new boat and we were thinking of taking a long trip on it. We are out of Marco Island and to get to the keys we are looking at around a 90 mile run. My question is: would you think it would be worth such a run if we don't have any waypoints in the keys? Is it easy to find ledges and hard bottom?

We read all the cool posts out of your area and we are used to fishing in 40 feet of water but we want to try some new areas. Any general recommendations for fishing in 75 - 150 feet of water?
Thanks for your help!

Andre

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Atlantic waters are different than your gulf waters where you guys on the west coast seem to say where going to run this far to get to this depth. in the keys we basically have the inside reef line witch can be 10 to about 35 feet and the out side reef line that can be from about40 feet to 80/90 feet before the drop off and any thing beyond that would be considered Off shore fishing for Dolphin,Tuna,Sails,Wahoo ,ETC. though there are some that fish the bottom in deeper water but most stay on the reef areas for bottom fishing excluding deep dropping.and there is an array of different fish you can target.it,s a long run for just a day but definitely worth the run if you are staying for a couple of days or More
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • action88action88 Posts: 197 Officer
    to answer your question, yes, to come 90 miles to the keys with no GPS #ers to target bottom fish would be very difficult, fishing the gulf on our side can be great if you have the #ers to some wrecks, still we dont have the grouper and snapper like yall do on the gulf side ledges, you can come and go yellowtailing, that would be fairly easy, if you want, give me a call and I will give you some numbers for good yellowtail fishing nd give you the run down on how to do it...

I still think that you would have a great time regardless of the fishing, the keys is a beautiful place to visit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Capt Brian Gwilliam

www.fishingislamoradaflorida.com
  • asabbaghasabbagh Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses!
    Andre
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    If you decide to make the trip down to KW, let me know. I'll get you pointed in the right direction. :)

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Are the 4 major Gulf wrecks, north and east of Key West, pretty much public knowledge now? Seems I remember the days of Loran and seeing the numbers posted on a public chart somewhere, but I'd like to ask first.

EDIT: That said, they are all probably pretty much useless by now because you'll never get a fish up past the jewfish on those wrecks.
    .......Rick
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    Are the 4 major Gulf wrecks, north and east of Key West, pretty much public knowledge now? Seems I remember the days of Loran and seeing the numbers posted on a public chart somewhere, but I'd like to ask first.

EDIT: That said, they are all probably pretty much useless by now because you'll never get a fish up past the jewfish on those wrecks.

Yes..but the numbers are a bit off between the chart and where the wrecks are.

Jew Jews aren't the problem right now...Sharks are! LOL

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.