Home General Paddle Craft

Dania beach tournament oct 26th 2013!

This is a NO SPONSORS EVENT! 100% payback.
Sent out a mass text(not a good idea ive been blowing up everyone's phone sorry) thinking 40/50 dollar buy in 1st 2nd and 3rd cash pay outs. Who's game. Ideas thoughts?
Shooting for oct 26 with a back up date of nov 2nd.
sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png

Replies

• drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Ive been trying to do this forever lol. Def game. i say we set it up as an aggregate 5 fish weight just like the EKFT except no AJs. we should try and do one once a month and we can move the location around (Dania, Pomp, Boynton) to satisfy everyone. Looking forward to this
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Yea I already got about 20 replies saying yes. Looks like its gonna happen. Total weight of 5 fish. Mutton, grouper, only one species of jack wahoo all tuna except bonita, kings, african pomp, cobia, cuda, what other fish can we add? To be honest Doug I was thinking Dania and maybe Boynton. As locations
    No jacks or cuda imo. Id add Cero macs they can get 8-12 lbs, maybe tripletail, mahi ofcourse
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Definitely down. Make the buy-in $50, No 3rd place because the amount of people. I say 1 species of jack. No Cuda (they smell like ****) No sponsors. 100% cash pay back. 5 fish aggregate Kingfish, Wahoo, Tuna(Black,Yellow,Skip), Mahi, Grouper (within legal law), Mutton, Cobia. 5 POUND MINIMUM ON SMALL FISH.
    if you can weigh in a smelly jack you mine as well add Ceros. Much better quality fish and they can get decent size
    if you can weigh in a smelly jack you mine as well add Ceros. Much better quality fish and they can get decent size

I agree on Cero and Spanish as long its 5lb. Only 1 AJ or 1 Almaco, must be legal size and Almaco must be at least 5lbs...
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    I would def be in. Got a wedding in michigan. Im a fan of jumping around and doing it once a month!
    Definitely sounds good, I only added cuda to increase the odds. And yes definitely mahi
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I agree on Cero and Spanish as long its 5lb. Only 1 AJ or 1 Almaco, must be legal size and Almaco must be at least 5lbs...

I have an idea, what about if you included AJs but put a cap on them? Example, 20lb cap

Let's say you catch a 35lb AJ, it will only count for 20lbs total weight.

Almacos should be separate in my opinion, but they'd have to be 5 lbs. I haven't seen that many bigger than that.

Just a thought? 1 jack (Yellow, Bar, Amber etc) with a 20 or 25lb cap maximum weight.

Ceros should count for sure! They would be subject to the 5lb minimum as well. I'm stoked when I catch a decent Cero as they are delicious.

EDIT: Maybe call the city of Dania/Boynton and ask about free/reduced parking for the event? Just an idea, the worst thing they can say is NO! Dania is $10 usually for the day, but I have heard up in WPB that it can be as high as $5 an hour! :hairraiser
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    After thinking about it keep it only in Dania!!!! Pomp gets its glory from the extreme Tourney lol
    Dont call the city, They will want you to pay fees, pull a permit, make everything liscensed and insured....... lets do it on the low as a friendly bet, give the money on the side, keep it low key
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    I have an idea, what about if you included AJs but put a cap on them? Example, 20lb cap

Let's say you catch a 35lb AJ, it will only count for 20lbs total weight.

Almacos should be separate in my opinion, but they'd have to be 5 lbs. I haven't seen that many bigger than that.

Just a thought? 1 jack (Yellow, Bar, Amber etc) with a 20 or 25lb cap maximum weight.

Ceros should count for sure! They would be subject to the 5lb minimum as well. I'm stoked when I catch a decent Cero as they are delicious.

EDIT: Maybe call the city of Dania/Boynton and ask about free/reduced parking for the event? Just an idea, the worst thing they can say is NO! Dania is $10 usually for the day, but I have heard up in WPB that it can be as high as $5 an hour! :hairraiser

Whatever you do, DON'T BRING THE CITY INTO THIS! This is not an Event! It is a meet up between locals, a bragging rights type deal. Almost like a bet.....It's a fishing tournament you cannot put a cap on total weight lol. Come on now!
    No caps. If ur lucky enough to pull up a nice aj it will count. And yea we can add cero. No city its a friendly little get together, no sponsors 1 st and second win. Like a Calcutta.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    I like the way this is shaping up, pity I won't be able to join you guys on the 26th. But If anything happens, I'm down for your backup date.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    Anythoughts on adding Sails? Obviously not by keeping them and weighing them in but maybe if you catch and release a sail and have a picture you get a set number towards weight, say maybe 20 lbs. Would make it fun considering they will be around pretty thick Fall and winter
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 356 Deckhand
    I would be all over this, except that is my weekend to work, bummer!
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    I'll participate. Sounds like fun.

"Registration" and launch time? Sunrise is 7:26 on 10/26, 7:30 on 11/2.

Weigh-in time?
    Need to Launch early, sun starts peaking at 630. Id like to Launch in the Dark if its a nice day but thats up to Rob. Weigh-in at 2?
  • mackerelmaniacmackerelmaniac Posts: 119 Officer
    Make it a little harder and I am in. Lures Only.
    I like that idea. But there will only be a few of us out there doing it.
    No launches in the dark first light good enough. Most kayakers are not comfortable going out in the dark.
    Sails are an awesome catch, but I don't think we should add them makes things more difficult trying to keep things as simple as possible. Doug Perez got a good list that should work. No cuda and add cero. 5 lbs limit. Let the little fish grow.
    Make it a little harder and I am in. Lures Only.

Yeahhh No! This isn't an inshore tournament! Live bait is a MUST....Also, Rob I think we should be able to launch in the dark, Most people that attend this will know what they are doing. It's definitely going to be a battle between some great local kayak fisherman.
    Im all about launching pre dawn, but I do know lots of people who dont. What we can do is launch in dark and who ever wants to wait till sunrise can. Im also thinking in by 12/1 pm what u think?
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    Seems like launching at 6:30 (the start of nautical twilight in late October) would suit most people. Others could wait a few minutes until they are more comfortable, and daredevils could launch in the pitch dark if it's worth it to them. The fewer such restrictions, the more interesting the day IMO.

2PM weigh-in seems to work great at Pompano. Time flies when you're fishing, and some days I'll fish offshore from dawn to dusk.

Lures-only would be sporting and ok by me, but this is not my event. Maybe those with interest can try to organize a no-bait event for some point in the future and gauge the response. I took a cue from Palm Beach Pete when I started this type of fishing, and almost never use bait unless I happen to catch a little runner by accident and feel like rigging him up. Vertical jigs and plastic lures put good fish in my boat and make for a no-fuss operation.
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Im all about launching pre dawn, but I do know lots of people who dont. What we can do is launch in dark and who ever wants to wait till sunrise can. Im also thinking in by 12/1 pm what u think?

That works, Be on the beach by 1pm. This way we can fish till Noon and paddle back in.
    That works, Be on the beach by 1pm. This way we can fish till Noon and paddle back in.

Hopefully i have my outback by then otherwise ill have to start heading in by 11 to get in by 1 lol
    Lmao. PA 14 not that bad.
    in by 1pm sounds good.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    I'm up for donating to the Pottymouth treasury. :banana It's hard to enforce a lures only rule. There's also the grey zone of when you catch a small fish on a jig which then gets eaten by something bigger, so you accidentally live-baited. How 'bout a calcutta for the largest single fish- the winner gets their $50 back.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
    Good idea bugdoc. Let the Miami meet up group know.