Home General Paddle Craft

Where's the EKFT reports?!?!

I couldn't make it for the tourney, wondering how it went, any details?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• DevodudDevodud Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Fishing was super slow for everyone I talked, including Brian (the WINNER!). Seas were laid down nicely, nothing like the stuff NOAA predicted, and zero surf. There was a nice breeze out of the north all day counter acting the current, this reesulted in a nice gentle .75 mph south drift. Much better than the 3 mph plus drift from the May tournament.

I was able to catch some live ribbon-fish and blue runners really quick to go with my gogs. I trolled and drifted with 2 live baits in water at a time all day. The only hit I got on live bait was from a sailfish batting at one of my gogs with his bill, killing it, then leaving. What I was able to catch was a ****** ton of almaco jacks and some triggers on my vertical jig, they came in all water depths from 65 feet to 250 feet, and not necessarily on any kind of structure. Too bad we can only weigh one almaco.
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Brian got 1st, Joe Kratzz got second, I took 3rd, I dont know the name of 4th place and Andy got 5th. this tournament it was all locals on stage. Joe Hector and his team put on a hell of a tourney. Its a anyone's game. Anyone who fishes offshore needs to get in on it. Prizes just keep getting better!
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Great tournament. Not one roll over and a nice day. Great job Bryan and to all the others. Here are a few pics that I took.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    THE WINNERS, 1st-5th and Trash can slam.
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    Nice work fellas, I'll be looking forward to the next tourney.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I flipped in 250' when two lines were dragged across my kayak, first one was a pilchard with a weight on the nose and it caught the bail of my jigging rod, nearly ripping it into the water! :hairaiser. The other one was a slab on bonita with 2x stinger hooks in which caught my anchor trolley and led to my demise. Add me being off balance while reaching for my knife to cut the line (tried with the snips, it was that super slick garbage...feels like dental floss) and as soon as the guy tried to set his hook (thinking I was a fish) BOOM! OVER! Never did find the guy, I screamed about 3 times for the person who trolled over me. Nobody knew who he was? Apparently the same guy trolled right over Kraatz earlier in the day with a big bucktail jig.

Luckily, I've prepared since the dawn of my kayak fishing existence to always rig for flipping. Total loss? 3 live gogs, pair of titanium pliers, pair of fish grips, one sandal (:banghead) and 3 vertical jigs. I estimate it around $100 of gear + bait not counting the single lost reef sandal ( need a new pair now)

Silver lining? My rod leashes worked, other gear leashes worked great as well. Only reason why the pliers weren't lashed down is because I was using them at the time to swap jigs. My loss could have been A LOT worse!!!

I caught a small Skipjack (didn't qualify for the 5lbs minn) earlier in the day before I flipped. I managed to catch a ton of triggers on the vertical jig as well, and a MONSTER blue runner (2-3lb range?) that was nearly the size of my skipjack haha. Had one REALLY nice hit on my deep gog early in the am and reeled in two pieces of gog. The head with the nose hook still in, and the back 1/3 with the stinger. Literally, the fish chomped right in the middle of the two hooks and didn;t come back for the leftovers. HAs this ever happened to anyone else? I've had fish miss the stinger and eat the back half but never severed perfectly in half? It was strange! I ended up filleting the small skipjack, and a 25" kingfish in which Doug and I grilled at my house. Honestly, the little king was great! I always 100% of the time smoke my kingfish but this was good.

Too add insult to injury? I was really PO'd the rest of the day after flipping. (BTW, Thank you to Rodger and the Nautical ventures crew for helping me gather all my gear, drain my kayak and give me a breather after the ordeal) While landing, I was coming in and there were 3 guys ready to help, I gave one hard paddle to my left side and it turned me ever so slightly that when another wave hit me broadside I went over! Two flips in one day....:banghead

I only lost my pride on that flip though...downed some beers, some free tacos, got some free swag at the weigh in and had a great rest of the day. I really wanted to approach the guy who caused me to flip but I decided not to. In part because I couldn't find him (rotflmao), and I just didn't want to make a scene at the family weigh in event. I wouldn't have gained anything from it, that guy knew what happened and paddled away without lending a hand. My GF and dougs wife met us there with beers, life is way to short to let that kind of stuff ruin a good time.

Thanks to Joe, Maria, Perez, Marco and the rest of the extreme team! It was a great time had by everyone, and I cannot wait for the next EKFT! Hopefully, I'll make it on stage and stay somewhat dry....
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 356 Deckhand
    I have reeled in a gog head and tail before, cut in the middle, frustrating.
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
    Devodud wrote: »
    I have reeled in a gog head and tail before, cut in the middle, frustrating.

Frustrating to say the least. Sneaky buggers!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Zimmerman! You were heated man! I have never seen you that mad lol. I would be mad to. At least you got some good gifts in the raffle!
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Sorry to hear that Zim....If theres a bright side, be lucky the hooks caught your anc. trolley and flipped u instead of your leg and flipping, dragging you. What a shame, man. Id be PO'd too and im not as good at controllin it. Kudos to you.
    Cookinman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Zim....If theres a bright side, be lucky the hooks caught your anc. trolley and flipped u instead of your leg and flipping, dragging you. What a shame, man. Id be PO'd too and im not as good at controllin it. Kudos to you.

I don't have a very bad temper, and it usually takes quite a bit to really get me heated. I was just beside myself, and I was thrilled that the NV help boat was there. I could have paddled my boat back, but with them helping me get the 8-10 gallons of water out of my boat allowed me to enjoy the rest of the day. Plus, just the breather sitting on the boat for 3-5 minutes was huge.

Met a really cool guy on the way in, asked me if I wanted a gog. I trolled one on the way in, and could've had a bite. Ya never know, Nelli got his king at high noon! :wink

I've got too much respect for all those who worked their tails off to make the tourney a HUGE success to cause a scene. If it had been any other weekend....who knows.

Anyway, beer always helps the cause :beer

Congrats to all those who won! I'm really excited to see some of the pics.

FYI, it was a bad day from the start. I bought gogs at TAHA at 5am, drove to the beach, unloaded the kayak, wheeled her down to the launch. Slapped hands with a few people, went back to the truck to get my paddle and BOOM! I have 1/2 of my paddle and 1/2 of the girlfriends paddle. Figured, screw it and tried to connect them....no dice! Had to haul butt back to Dania and then back to Pompano to retrieve the paddle. Got back to the beach at 6:28 and we launched 2 minutes later. I was still the 2nd or 3rd person at the wreck...LOL It just wasn't my day

I did win some good prizes at the raffle (like 5 of them) but missed out on costas, reels etc.

Overall, a great experience I was happy to volunteer for the Extreme Team, met some awesome people, drank some beers, caught dinner and I cannot wait for the next EKFT!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    @Kevin, wow dude, tough luck on that day!
    I was the noob that cause a few tangled lines last tourney but I apologized profusely to the person whose line I tangled with and thankfully we didn't have to cut any lines. A little courtesy goes a long way, the person who caused your flip should have fessed up.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Kevin, that sucks!

Time to pass the Pompano down to a newb and get an Outback.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
    Kevin, that sucks!

Time to pass the Pompano down to a newb and get an Outback.

I'm in the market....keep an eye out lol
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • AC_YaKAC_YaK Posts: 54 Deckhand
    I took 4th place