Anyone use special golden estrous with success?

Have heard good things about it, and it comes with a guarantee. But was wondering if anyone had tried it locally. If so how do you use it? Scent wicks, or in scrapes etc.

Replies

• If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,133 Officer
    Why doesn't anyone ever talk about this on the forum? Seems every thread on scents goes unanswered. I don't believe none of you have tried them, and I don't believe you haven't had positive or negative experiences. I don't get it.... whats the deal :huh
  • cuda141cuda141 Posts: 619 Officer
    I think it's because Florida ruts are so wishy washy, no one is really sure what works and when...I used the golden estrous drip in a scrap a few years back, buck kept coming to it, nothin crazy though, his scrap, his scrape....duh. I usually use code blue or tinks, have had good and bad results. Brought a few bucks in for the kill, I think, but also stopped some doe from coming in, I know. I think all this stuff works better up north than it does down here, to include calls and rattling. I don't think I have had any luck with calls or rattles. Like to hear everyone else's take on all of this???????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Capt. Cuda's Parts & Charters
    http://www.cudascustoms.com/index.htm
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    My opinion is all that stuff is garbage and a waste of money. Same as camo and scent blocker clothes.
  • pbsnookerpbsnooker Posts: 882 Officer
    I've used em off and on for years, can't really say they helped me kill one deer. Negative experiences I've had a few, a couple bottles break on the tile in the house, a film canister open in the truck for 4 days ( took a month to get the smell out) all in all I think it's a waste of money.
  • ReaperReaper Posts: 486 Officer
    Had a nice 8 point stroll right to a scrape driper about 8 am. He never knew what hit him,00 buck shot at 15 yds

Sent from my Willy's jeep using Tapatalk 2
    tumblr_lesrrtx1Hc1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif
  • Marx ManMarx Man Posts: 145 Officer
    I've heard several guys say "it doesn't work down here". Then they tell me they only tried it once or twice. Doesn't seem like enough to rule it out. Wouldn't have to be tried in several locations over several years? One can think the bottled stuff is what scared a deer off but how do they know its not scent they themselves left or a number of other things that spooked em? I have no idea if it works or not but I myself have limited time to hunt every year and can't afford to take the chance of spooking deer with scents and such so I'll go without just in case. If I had 30+ solid hunts every year I'd absolutely be experimenting.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    A deer in FL is still a deer. Everything mentioned above used at the correct time will work.
  • TurkeymasterTurkeymaster Posts: 210 Officer
    I don't use it myself...On my lease up in middle Georgia I have a stand located on a high ridge with several white oaks...Every year I can take a respectable buck off the ridge.
    In 2010 I put my Son in his climber on the ridge top on November 6th...Leaves had yet to start falling so he was only able to get up about eight feet from the ground to still have some good visabiality..I used a couple of scent wicks and poured some golden estrous in several places in front of his stand.

At 4:30 I heard his 30-06 bark.I decided to stay in my stand and let him keep hunting.At 5:30 I heard him shoot again.
    Turns out at 4:30 to his left he tagged a big doe.At 5:30 he hears something walking fast and direct..I had always told him that when the rut is on and the bucks are cruising he will be moving fast and not ambling along like a doe.Way down in the bottom below the ridge he sees bits and pieces of the deer as he comes up from the bottom to the top of the ridge.Here is the kicker...My Son decided to unload his model 700 and wait until dark til I showed up.The deer comes up on the ridge and my Son starts seeing antlers.The buck has his nose to the ground where I poured out the estrous.He stops in front of my Sons climber,he now has to pull the bolt back and slide it forward to put a round in the chamber.The buck looks up and directly at him from 15 yards,drops his nose and start walking again.My Son now has to open both scope caps,mount the rifle and take the safety off.He drops him dead in his tracks.

The ol' bucks neck was swollen,Tarsal glands just as black as they could be and he was in search of does.

I know that was one day that the golden estrous did work because having to rechamber a round in a Remington Model 700 30-06 is not one of the quietest feat.It bought him some time and kept the deers mind on something else.

He ended up with a nice buck and knows now to keep his rifle loaded.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
    Ronald Reagan
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Most people go around and put deer scents out, all the while putting their scent all over the place, then claim the scents don't work......
  • Humble hunterHumble hunter Posts: 446 Officer
    I like them for a cover up scent. I use them for that application only, and apply to my boots when approaching my stand. Than spray some on the tree when I situated. Mainly I use dominant buck for most of my hunting than use the doe in estrus when I know the breeding has begun. I have watched it work to perfection before. I had a nice buck walking by way out of range for my bow with the wind blowing his direction. I started spraying it in the air watching it mist his direction. As soon as he got a whiff he stuck his head in the air, and lip curled 2, or 3 times. He than turned 90 degrees, and came to the tree I was in on a rope. Of course I was novice back than and blew it by letting a buck of a life time get to close. I could of shot, at 30, 20, 15 yds. Instead never got an arrow off before he bolted. Scents do not make you a better hunter, but in the right situation can be a really good tool.
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    trotsky wrote: »
    I like them for a cover up scent. I use them for that application only, and apply to my boots when approaching my stand. Than spray some on the tree when I situated. Mainly I use dominant buck for most of my hunting than use the doe in estrus when I know the breeding has begun. I have watched it work to perfection before. I had a nice buck walking by way out of range for my bow with the wind blowing his direction. I started spraying it in the air watching it mist his direction. As soon as he got a whiff he stuck his head in the air, and lip curled 2, or 3 times. He than turned 90 degrees, and came to the tree I was in on a rope. Of course I was novice back than and blew it by letting a buck of a life time get to close. I could of shot, at 30, 20, 15 yds. Instead never got an arrow off before he bolted. Scents do not make you a better hunter, but in the right situation can be a really good tool.

This^^. Scents do work and have worked for me. They just hafta be used properly..
  • swamphunterswamphunter Posts: 179 Officer
    A buddy of mine swears by it he says that it works just as good as the tinks has worked for him with less the cost.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,535 Admiral
    I have tried it all. In FL and in MI (more consistent rut) to no avail. Not saying it won't work, but based on the many times i've tried and the various products , versus the zero success rate, i'd say its a low % chance of success overall. Nothing is absolute of course. Bucks and does are curious by nature, maybe in a PERFECT, low pressure, 1-1 buck to do ratio scenarios.......sure.
    Too many other variables as well. Its not just the urine, there are other scents from the doe that the buck is smelling along with her urine that "turns" him on.

I have had "success" with pre-orbital on licking branches and mock scrapes.....just not during the daylight.........yet. I'm tweaking my methods still
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    2 words , Buck Bomb
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,194 Officer
    2 words , Buck Bomb

really ?
  • If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,133 Officer
    mrbill wrote: »
    really ?

Which one? Dominant buck or estrous
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,090 Moderator
    Killed my best FL buck on Jan 8 or so in 2011. Up here peak of chasing can be a bit different from one side of the same county to the other, BUT it is fairly predictable. On that hunt I knew they were cruising hard. In NW Florida areas I've had success with a simple bleat can every 30-45 minutes and a drag line with Code Blue. In general, the only time I use the scent across the ground is when I'm forced to hunt a stand that I can't walk up to from downwind. If the wind is perpendicular to my best line of sight and that's the direction I'm coming in, then I'll drag it. IMO, it probably smells better than me and might keep that buck working into the wind out into my lane.

I've also had small bucks get downwind of me and like LC said, I've misted it and watched the young guys come trotting up. If nothing else, that's kind of fun.

What I DON'T do, is walk the proper direction to a stand, then go pass it and hang a scent wick or spray down something down with it. One thing I have considered (and I brought it up here only to be laughed at) was to rig up a close line type system. Scenario... I walk due W to my stand. Wind is due N. Shooting lane through different types of woods is Due W. Climb the stand, and then 150 yards out is a pully and I have both ends of the line in my stand. Spray the wick down, keep it suspended about 50 yards out, and then let it drag and pull it all the way up to pully. Now it's up in the air with the N wind and there's a 100 yard swath of esterous (if that's your scent of choice) wafting due S. Buck can circle / zig zag that up and as long as he never comes 50 yards W of where I started... well then he never smells me. Goes to cross the road, and POW! A bit elaborate, but some nights I have a hard time sleeping, so I consider such silliness.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    PH80, I enjoy your crazy ideas. All you can do is give it a shot. I doubt it'll hurt anything.
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    I killed my best 6 bucks not using anything. They just walk up and I shoot them,fact I think out of about 50 or so bucks I've never used anything,but times I have tried scents I don't recall killing one. Idk,maybe its just me,my dad smoked heavily from a stand and killed quite a few himself.
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    mrbill wrote: »
    really ?

Nah man just messing with ya'll . I told one of my buddies I used Buck Bomb and he went out and bought like 10 cans . LMAO The only scents I've used down here in Fl is the real deal . If I kill a deer and his bladder is full , I'll bottle it and use it . In GA I've used doe in heat and dominant buck made by Harmon's Scents . I met the guy that started the company . His stuff works .
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,194 Officer
    did you buy stock in the company first !!!!lol Olny one ive ever use with any success in the real stuff too but there this one for bow hunter that a buddy of mine sware by yet to use it im to busy trying to scent free !!!
  • ShineShine Posts: 821 Officer
    Reindeer **** from Colorado that sat in a bottle going stale for a year before making it to your stand in Florida.

These are techniques I like to classify as “hunting by accident.”
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 808 Officer
    Depends on the situation. If I know the area and the deer...nope. I've seen too many deer bolt (especially mature does) at the smell. I have a *opinion* that the deer KNOW and are familiar with each other's scent in the area. So I just hunt the wind and the travel routes. If I don't know the area well I could see trying to ATTRACT a buck. I have used scents..Code Blue because it's "real deer urine". *some* of the brands mix it with cow urine for volume..not mentioning brand cause I don't want to get sued..google it. When the woods are hot..I've had bucks come in...to me it's hit or miss and I'll use it more as a last result..If I SEE bucks chasin..I'll shoot some into the air to lay a scent line to see if I can get the buck in..that and doe bleats..

Sometimes when I'm not seeing anything..I'll play with calls/scents..etc. I have scored doing it ..none of my big bucks were taken with scents..but I did grunt one in...I *think* sound is better than scents if you can mimic the calls. fawn bleats seem to get more attention from the bucks for some reason