Who,s going Red Snappering

Dont know where I have been, but I just saw that Oct 1 - Oct 15 will reopen for Red Snapper in the Gulf. Anybody planning on going? From what I read it looks like the Red Snapper grounds are close to 40 miles and furhter out. Also is the USS Mohawk worth a trip or is it full of divers?

Replies

• ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    You will need to be in at least 140 feet of water for Red Snapper out of the Ft Myers area. 160+ is much better. Leave the Mohawk alone, it's visited too often by divers and too my jewfish on the wreck. Head a few miles past the wreck and start looking for hard bottom, you'll have a much more successful trip.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    For certain wed, thu or Friday or any combination of the days, if I can get enough people together to share the fuel costs. I agree with PSC; 140 or better. I had in mind 160-165.
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    Im trying to ehad out wed or Thursday. Heading out of Naples.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Hope you guys do awesome out there. I am heading down Oct 21 so when I planned my trip I guessed wrong by 7 days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlanesBlanes Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Thanks PSC... I figured that might be the case. My experience in the East coast taught me that Red Snapper like Vertical Structure. Unlike the Red Groupers here that appear to be on HARD BOTTOM, but not necesarily vertical structure. Is that the same case in SW FL?
    Blanes,
    You will not be seeing any vertical structure off the SW Florida coast in the depths that you will see Red Snappers. The slope of the Continental Shelf is very slow off this side of the coast. If you want to run out 80-90 miles west of the coast, you will find 10-20 foot ledges that will hold red snappers. Catching red snappers over on the other coast is much different than catching them here.
    I'd suggest looking for hard bottom areas in 150 feet, while pushing deeper and any area you might have that holds gags and scamps will be a likely spot to catch some Red Snappers.
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    My goal is to get a three man limit under 120ft just like last year..... wish us luck
  • swaptrexswaptrex Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Hopefully I will, but I won't be going out past 100ft unless it's like glass.
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    I will hopefully try catching a ride on a buddies boat.. If not, maybe I'll find a nice 31 Contender and make the first trip out there for ARS!
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • JEIBEJEIBE Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Heading out of LBK tuesday if the weather does what it says...capeangler...there are more than plenty of us who would split gas for a serious run.
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Will try to get one or two trips in. Have 6-8 #'s 150 to 160'. Agree with the hard bottom and look for bait balls. Also if I have the FF dialed in I see individual fish suspended off the bottom 4-12'.
    In June I only got one trip in and came up zero for ARS but managed 3 large RG. There was a rumor of a longliner fishing off Venice/Boca at that time.
    Yeah I saw him about 200yrds away from some of my numbers in 120ft ... sucked but what ya gonna do. I was wondering why he was not deeper?
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Other Requirements/Restrictions continued
    Reef fish bottom longline rules:
     The use of bottom longline gear in the reef fish fishery east of Cape San Blas,
    Florida, shoreward of a line approximating the 35-fathom depth contour is
    prohibited from June through August;
     Reduce the number of bottom longline vessels operating in the fishery through
    a longline endorsement provided only to federally-permitted vessels with
    demonstrated average annual landings of 40,000 pounds of fish taken by fish
    traps or longlines during 1999-2007;
     Maximum number of hooks that may possessed onboard each reef fish bottom
    longline vessel is 1,000 hooks total, only 750 of which may be fished or rigged
    for fishing at any time; and
     Longline endorsement required.

This was the only longline restrictions I coudl find. He was in violation as I see it.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Yeah I saw him about 200yrds away from some of my numbers in 120ft ... sucked but what ya gonna do. I was wondering why he was not deeper?

Heard it was fuel prices. Staying in close to save money but destroying our grounds. I saw his buoy out there 2 weeks ago. Thought about posting the GPS numbers of his buoy on the forum but decided against. Karma and all that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Not enough of a limit for me to justify the fuel.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    Hope you guys do awesome out there. I am heading down Oct 21 so when I planned my trip I guessed wrong by 7 days.

Prefect......well not so much!
    We are planning on three trips out to 155 to 160 feet over the course of the two weeks, weather permitting. Certainly hope the weather gods are kind.
  • SwampsquashSwampsquash Posts: 166 Deckhand
    I would love too, unsure if going 30+ miles is a good idea in a 20 foot sea hunt :shrug
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    I would love too, unsure if going 30+ miles is a good idea in a 20 foot sea hunt :shrug

160-165' is more like 65 M out of BGP; 60 out of New Pass or Sarasota. If it were only 30; go for it. 60 is a bit far in a 20 footer, unless you've got perfect weather all around, sat phone, raft, eprib, and enough fuel, etc. Then again, those two guy did cross the Atlantic in a 22 foot flat bottom skiff!

Either way you look at it, 60-100 Gals of Fuel is not worth 2 ARS PP (IMO). You gotta have a game plan to limit on ARS, Gags, Reds and even compliment the box with some Mangos, etc.

Praying for good weather this week.....looking a little iffy though.
    Starting to look like like a very narrow weather window with crap moving up from the Caribbean by Thursday and beyond. Starting to look like every time NMFS opens Red Snapper season, the weather tanks. I know I'll lose a couple trips over the upcoming week. Hope everyone keeps an eye on the weather this week.
    capeangler wrote: »
    160-165' is more like 65 M out of BGP; 60 out of New Pass or Sarasota. If it were only 30; go for it. 60 is a bit far in a 20 footer, unless you've got perfect weather all around, sat phone, raft, eprib, and enough fuel, etc. Then again, those two guy did cross the Atlantic in a 22 foot flat bottom skiff!

Either way you look at it, 60-100 Gals of Fuel is not worth 2 ARS PP (IMO). You gotta have a game plan to limit on ARS, Gags, Reds and even compliment the box with some Mangos, etc.

Praying for good weather this week.....looking a little iffy though.

Oh really I figured 100-120 would be red snapper area(from a few posts I read). If you have to get to 165 and go 60 miles then I would agree its not worth it. Shows how much I know about fishing for ARS. My boat isn't fast enough, it would take almost 2 hours to 60 miles anyway lol
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    We are going to try to get out 3 days next week. This week looks like a wash. Hopefully going to make it out Monday-Wednesday. We wont head out 60+ miles unless the report is 2 foot or less.
    Red snapper are never in 110-120ft..... ever!
    Red snapper are never in 110-120ft..... ever!

Good to know....Though I am pretty sure I read of some in 120 before in a fishing report on FS site....I guess they may have been fibbing :shrug

I would man up and give it a go....if only we had less then 1ft seas LOL
    Depends where the report was from. In the northern Gulf, you will catch red snapper less than 100'. Off our portion of the coast, the best bet is to start around 140 feet and work out deeper. I have caught some red snapper inside of 120 feet off Redfish Pass, but never with any consistency as to where you could plan to target them there. Just an occasional occurrence.
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    Good to know....Though I am pretty sure I read of some in 120 before in a fishing report on FS site....I guess they may have been fibbing :shrug

I would man up and give it a go....if only we had less then 1ft seas LOL

Our best ARS fishing was in 117 off Boca Grande this past June. Made 3 trips, caught some in 150-165 but our best bite was in 117. Not sure if I need to go deeper next week but we will likley start in 160 and work our way back in. My buddy does offshore charters out of englewood and said the 160ish bite was way off this year, he told me the best depth was was about 120 unless I wanted to run out to 200+. I wasn't interested in running that far offshore and did just fine in 120.

The ARS in 117 were ll 15-20 pound fish, the fish out deeper where generally smaller. Don't know why.
    Caught some very nice ones this summer between 42-50 fathoms, but they weren't in season at the time.
  • goddfaddagoddfadda Posts: 111 Officer
    Monday-Tuesday looks like the only days.

I have zero numbers out past 130 feet. I'm going to blindly drive due W from New Pass SRQ and not stop till I hit 160 feet - about 55-60 miles. Then going to slow troll in toward 155 in hopes of finding bottom.

This is my third trip for red snapper. Have yet to catch them. Each time I had no problem finding bottom - well bait blow ups anyway. The deepest I've gone was 140 WSW out of New Pass. Every trip I catch tons of vermillion and gigundus red grouper. Especially in 130' - some real monsters going 35" or greater.

One trip I found some very strange pyramid shaped structures extending 30 feet from the bottom in 130. No idea what I was looking at. Didn't seem to be bait but I can't be sure. Fished it and caught vermillion.

This trip I'm going to skip the bait blow ups and just looks for hard bottom / structure.

So far going deep has not paid off for me for fishing in general. I always seem to have the best fishing success in 60-85 feet of water with limits on limits of most bottom species. I'm doing this more as a personal achievement mission :)
    We are planning on three trips out to 155 to 160 feet over the course of the two weeks, weather permitting. Certainly hope the weather gods are kind.

First two trips cancelled due to weather. Geeeeeee!
    goddfadda wrote: »
    Monday-Tuesday looks like the only days.

I have zero numbers out past 130 feet. I'm going to blindly drive due W from New Pass SRQ and not stop till I hit 160 feet - about 55-60 miles. Then going to slow troll in toward 155 in hopes of finding bottom.

Head more SW than W. We leave out of Big Pass SRQ.