Long shot?

Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 936 Officer
I know this is a long shot but any tips, references, or whatever would be greatly appreciated. I'm headed out to NM on a mule deer hunt in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm trying to get a processor and taxidermist lined up. I'll be in Logan and everything seems to be a half day drive or better. I found a few in Amarillo which would be convenient since that's where I'm flying out of. Ultimately I don't want convenience to make my decision on who I chose to do the work. Like I said, I know this is a long shot asking on a Florida forum but I'm hoping someone may have traveled out to this region.

Replies

• buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 137 Deckhand
    You can always bring it back to a local taxidermist. Its what I do, just make sure your taxidermist mounts alot of mule deer. In my experience some of the local western taxidermist aren't that good or don't care because your from out of town and probably won't give them to much repeat business.

I cape out the head and then saw the top of skull off with antlers. Put the hide fur side out in a double trash bag and freeze it solid. Make sure that you freeze it in a position that you can put it into a piece of checked luggage (smaller luggage without a lot of airspace). It will stay frozen for around 24 hours and stay cool enough for 36 hours.

This is what I did in MT last year and they lost my bags at a layover. I picked up my 6 bags of elk meat and capes the next morning 29 hours out of the freezer and everything was still frozen and fine.

John Pyles taxidermy in orlando does alot of western game and I highly recommend him.
  • buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 137 Deckhand
    And make sure you clean the skull plate good and wrap it up. Put small pieces of hose over the tips. Most all airlines require you to protect the other bags by placing hose over the tips. I went to a hardware store and bought some large diameter hose by the foot.

Mule deer antlers fit into the normal luggage fee size. Elk antlers will be an oversize fee.