Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Email I got today from the National Park Service

Folks I got this email today from the Park service in regards to a govt shutdown.wanted to share for all to see as the park belongs to all Americans.

Dear Partners,

You may have heard recent news and information about the possibility of an impending government shutdown due to lack of appropriations. Should this occur we would begin closing Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Parks on Tuesday, October 1, 2013. While we remain hopeful that there is still opportunity to avoid that situation we wanted to provide you some information so you can make any necessary preparations for your own operations.

In the event of a government shutdown the park would be closed and all services offered via Commercial Use Authorizations (CUA), whether originating within or outside of park boundaries, would need to cease operations and leave the park. Outfitters, guides, and other CUA holders should not commence new trips into the park after a shutdown has been initiated. In addition, the park will be closed to all recreational use.

Prior to any shutdown you may contact CUA Coordinator Linda Roehrig for more information at 305-242-7744. Additional general information can be found on the Department of Interior website at: http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/index.cfm

Should the shutdown occur several park rangers will remain on duty for the purpose of law enforcement and emergency response. The primary point of contact for information while the park is closed would be Superintendent, Dan Kimball. He can best be contacted by email at: [email protected]

We will provide you relevant updates to this dynamic situation as we learn it. We regret the burden that this may place on your livelihood, but we do value the good working relationship we share and hope that it will continue.

Superintendent, Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Parks
40001 SR 9336
Homestead, FL 33034-6733
305-242-7710
FAX - 305-242-7711
http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.

Replies

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    "Closed to all recreational use"
    No Thanks.
    The media has been pumping out the propaganda 24/7
    that the markets have recovered, unemployment is low,
    US currency is stable, all is well.
    However, young kids can't get jobs w/ benefits or even a 40 hour paycheck.
    The country can not pay it's routine bills, with the Treasury printing trillions of "new" money.

I guess I'm fishing this weekend before the closure.:banghead
  • Chaos210Chaos210 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    That is bad all the way around, and if it does happen could have a very negative effect on more than guides and the many tournaments hosted there. But a ripple effect to an already hard hit area would really hurt. I hope of is avoided.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Typical scare tactic. Rangers will be on duty, but the park will be closed???
    Don't worry...I have a key if they really do close the park. We can still get in :rotflmao
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,639 Captain
    As usual "let's make it as onerous as possible" is the rule to follow... The last time we went through this they not only closed the Park but stationed rangers on the water to turn back anyone on the water coming in....

The local equivalent is when one town or other needs to do some serious budget cutting and the local authorities threaten to cut back on cops and teachers.... instead of anyone's "brother in law"....

I"ll be surprised if a shutdown does occur but already have plans to shift customers over your way and work .... just north of the Park..
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 355 Deckhand
    I didn't get my letter,but the BS is getting so high you won't be able to get to the park anyway. I hate what is going on in this country right now. BTW you can't close the everglades unless you have a very long tall fence. Just saying stand by for more garbage to be thrown out there.
    Polliwog.. most of us that got the letter are permitted guides in the Park. If they catch one of us breaking the rules then they can pull your permit to work there..... so they've got by the shorts so to speak. Let's hope that next election cycle there's some serious payback at election time.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • muchocincomuchocinco Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    does this really mean my winter trips are in danger or is it closing for the guides. any which way that sucks. if true, the guberment is real smart when it comes to closing fl in the winter when snowbirds like me save all year so we can spend money down there all winter and help the tourist econ. when it has been struggling. if I ever get done with harvest up here it will take a big man to keep me from unloading the boat!! im a pretty big boy that can get a little rough around the edges!!lol
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,356 Officer
    muchocinco wrote: »
    does this really mean my winter trips are in danger or is it closing for the guides. any which way that sucks. if true, the guberment is real smart when it comes to closing fl in the winter when snowbirds like me save all year so we can spend money down there all winter and help the tourist econ. when it has been struggling. if I ever get done with harvest up here it will take a big man to keep me from unloading the boat!! im a pretty big boy that can get a little rough around the edges!!lol

"In addition, the park will be closed to all recreational use". That pretty much means everyone. However you will know for sure in a few days if there is a government shutdown.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    I also tend to think that this is a lot of smoke, but am going to stay on this and make a lot of folks aware come Monday morning as I find the idea of denial of a a national resource to the people it belongs to an unacceptable answer
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    Well today I called and wrote every elected official I have and told them our story. I hope some of you have done the same. While I don't agree with shutting down all actvites in the park during this circus, I have the biggest issue with shutting the park off to recreational users. I am a recreational angler first and foremost. And its the regulations and rules that affect the recreational angler, that affect me and my business as a guide. I can in no way see how a recreational boater/angler leaving from a non-ENP park service ramp, and going to fish the area in his private boat with his private gear with his family or friends should be shut out of using his/her park.If its an enforcment issue, there should be no issue as it has allready been stated that LEO will still be patrolling. But what do I know. Lets hope this gets resolved quickly and we can get back to normal, until then I will see yall in the 10,000 islands.
  • torquetorque Posts: 124 Officer
    OK guys, Im heading out today for a month in EC. I just checked the hot spot chart and it shows the park boundary including indian key pass. Does this mean zero boat traffic on that waterways, including the commercial crabbers and fishermen ? Other than posting guards 24/7 at the mouth of the rivers, how can they enforce this. Another question, is the park just the land masses within the boundaries or does that include the water. What happens when water flows out of or into the park, does it change from public to govt water. This is crazy. as stated earlier
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Posts: 191 Officer
    yeah, this makes no sense.. I can understand shutting down marinas, boat ramps, etc, but the water itself... if they are out there policing it, what does it matter, it still should be open for boat traffic. Someone please explain why not?

Charles
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Posts: 191 Officer
    talked to Dan Kimball about launching out of EC, since the park surround it, and he said the following in an email to me:
    Charles: I have conferred w/ our Acting Chief Ranger re your question. After 6P tonight, you are free to transit the Park to reach areas north of the Park. However, please do not stop to fish/recreate while you are within the Park since the Park is technically closed. Thanks for your cooperation in regard to this matter. Best regards, Dan
  • Joe SnookJoe Snook Posts: 468 Deckhand
    **** this!! It seems unamerican being so dependant on our government!! Mel Gibson wouldnt stand for it neither should we. I believe my sword can chop a pen into a thousand pieces.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 4
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
    Day 1
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 506 Officer
    I don't care if its closed I'm going anyway
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    I found it interesting when reading up on the matter that during the last shut down in 95/96, the state of Arizona funded a portion of the Grand Canyon to stay open. This was most likely due to the economic loss of the citizens of Arizona. During the last shut down, over 7 million visitors were turned away from the national parks. From my reading, the Department of the Interior sends home 81% of the work force which equates to about 72,000 employees.

With ENP being such a revenue generating resource, wonder if someone wants to call Scott up.
    The response I got back from the governors office yesterday was while he certainly understood our problem this was a federal matter and I needed to contact Rubio and Nelson. Which I had allready done at that time. He was the only response I have gotten to date.
    nightfly wrote: »
    I don't care if its closed I'm going anyway

Lol, it may cost you from what I'm hearing. The rangers will be enforcing the shutdown with fines. That's gotta be a rough job to do, as while you may not agree you still gotta pay a mortgage. Good luck nightfly, and on a positive note if you win the tourney again this year maybe that will pay the fine. Haha
  • Common GroundCommon Ground Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I fished Tuesday 10/01, the first day of the closure. I launched out of Outdoor Resorts in Choko. I fished all day mostly out front in a very visible way. Over the day I probably saw 10 other fishing boats fishing as usual and at least 2 guided boats. Never saw a ranger. While the official response is that "the park is closed, don't fish there", the unofficial word is the few rangers working ENP have better things to do than to chase fishermen out of the park. That said, who knows what they will do if this closure drags on and they decide to inconvenience as many civilians as possible to make a point.
  • crispycrackercrispycracker Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Its amazing to me that we've reached a point in our nation's history where public land is off limits to the average Joe due to the ineptitude of our government. What gives them the fricking right to say "Our gross overspending and inane policies have led to an impasse, but stay away from a natural resource that most of you were enjoying when Obama was still a kid in Indonesia"? This sort of policy would have been unthinkable and unenforceable even 30 years ago. We have become sheep who acquiesce to an increasingly Big Government—a group of incompetent, greedy, blind asshats who enact bizarre policies from afar and live outside of the laws the rest of us endure. I understand caution among the guides whose livelihoods depend on not going afoul of the "law"—they have been hardest hit by this latest piece of horse****—but the rest of us should not be sheep. These are our waters. They can fine me if they wish but my skiff is pointed south as it always has been.

Sorry for the rant. Hell, no I'm not.
    Park Ranger is not to blame here.....
    Direct your wrath to congress and the white house.
    Who mentioned Rangers other than you, flatwater? My reply above is littered with comments about undue government intervention.
    I agree 100% w/ everything you said.
    But, if you point your skiff south and there is a confrontation, the other guy isn't to blame.
    Never said he/she would be. On that note, I will not be to blame for defying a crappy gov't policy, either.
    "Defiance of authority is as American as apple pie"....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Chaos210Chaos210 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    ATTENTION All Fisherman & Guides that live in South Florida. Because of the recent closure of Everglades National Park & Biscayne National Park recreational fisherman are outraged and licensed ENP guides are out of a job. There will be a peaceful protest this Wednesday October 9th at 1PM at Cowpens Cut which is the border of ENP. Everyone that can attend should be there to show your support. There is No Reason 1,600 SQ miles of Florida Bay should be closed off to access from Tax Paying US Citizens. Captain Tad Burke will be on WSVN FOX News tomorrow morning to talk about this event. Please feel free spread this to anyone that should know about this

This is a post I found in the South report, figured I'd share.