PENN BATTLE REELS corrode again...

Last year I bought 2 new Penn battle 5000's, not even a full year elapsed and they started to corrode. After reading another forum members post, I said hey mine too are corroding. Shortly after I was in touch with the Penn guy on here, Tony I think his name is, and He told me he would replace them both free of charge. He acknowledged that Penn had a problem with corroding paint, which was strictly a cosmetic problem and wouldnt affect the reel's function at all. So 2 weeks later I get my new reels, in box brand new (ive had them for a few months now). I was assured that these new reels are the ones that didnt have the paint problems. I was more then happy...up until now. Ive been lightly fishing with them since I got them and are always rinsed off ASAP, cause I didnt want to take a chance of it happening again. Came home from fishing, washed them off and looked them over, sure enough they are corroded!!!! Now Im pretty mad. I took the guys word that the problem was resolved, I even went out and got the new Spinfisher V cause i was so happy about it all. Now I just want my money back for the defected reels so I can use it toward some other "better quality" reels. See for yourself:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• HooganHoogan Posts: 544 Officer
    Wow,

I must say that I have several Penn Battles and I use them hard in Dry Tortugas and they don't have corrosion issues, as a matter of fact two weeks ago I caught 5 kingfish over 30 lbs. back to back with my Battle 5000 and it performed flawlessly. I do spray all my reels with CRC after my three days/three nights fishing trips aboard the Yankee Capts offshore fishing charters. I'm not intending to contradict your misfortune, I'm thinking that my applying CRC might be responsible for my reels looking like new.

Hoogan aka Art
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    I havent had this issue yet with any of my battles. weird that you have experienced this twice. its a shame but it seems like they tried to make it right by sending you some new ones. hoepfully the spinfisher V will have better luck.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Well after some research it seems as if others who had the same problem had it reoccur again with the replacements. After posting my photo on Facebook 10 other people also had the same problem. It's strictly cosmetic which doesn't effect the use of the reel, it will bite me in the long run when or if I decide to sell them it the corrosion doesn't stop at the paint and finally starts getting inside the reel. I would take a refund or a upgrade option at this point. No more battle's for me. But the weird thing is that my smaller 2000 battle sits outside, doesn't get washed off after use and it's perfectly fine! It's about 3 years old now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral
    there's a new penn coming out soon , called a conflict supposed to be one better than the battle @ $129. I'm still a big fan of the spheros over the battle.
  • SquilloSquillo Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Sad to see this I have a battle 5000, and love it and hope to have no issues. Hopefully Penn will back you up on your replacements
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I had excellent customer service with penn and they replaced my penn battle 5000 which had the exact sme problem as yours... Haven't used the new one yet so I don't know if the problem is reoccurring...
  • elpescador71elpescador71 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I have 3 8000s that all have the exact same issue..will penn replace mine with new ones?