Does Anyone Fish At Ft.Hamer!

fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,942 Captain
Hey guys i live about 15min down the river from ft.hamer and i have caught snapper a 27 inch red there. But ltley just catfish.I was wadering if anyone fishes here or has any spots within like 2miles of there Thanks:banghead
Sarasota,Fl 
Fishing, Photography, Life

Replies

• RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    People arent just going to give you spots. Fort Hamer is a good winter time area for snook. Just look for structure, points, fast water, bends in the river, sand bars with moving water adjacent. Thats how you grow and learn. I dont really fish Fort Hamer though, I stay in the saltier water. If you can get out that way I can help with some areas out around i75 bridge and beyond
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,942 Captain
    yea i might be able to get around the i-75 bridge not rely farther though!
    Robpelot wrote: »
    People arent just going to give you spots. Fort Hamer is a good winter time area for snook. Just look for structure, points, fast water, bends in the river, sand bars with moving water adjacent. Thats how you grow and learn. I dont really fish Fort Hamer though, I stay in the saltier water. If you can get out that way I can help with some areas out around i75 bridge and beyond
    Sarasota,Fl 
  • saltfishrsaltfishr Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Ok lil bud, if you can get to I75 bridge you will catch a hodge podge of fish. When I fist started salt fishing a couple yrs ago I fished the manatee and teracia bay area a lot. So at the bridge there is some nice grass areas at the south west side of the bridge, obviously the pilings themselves and to the south east area is a grass flat in the 3 to 5' depth range. We have cought everything from trout, snapper, sheapshead and smaller snook there. It can be very seasonal though and yes of course catfish. The river is full of catfish:banghead.

Good luck hope this helps
    BK
    thanks a lot man, so if you were going ovr the bridge towards bradenton to the left or the right? and the far side ? or close side by woodys river roo?
    saltfishr wrote: »
    Ok lil bud, if you can get to I75 bridge you will catch a hodge podge of fish. When I fist started salt fishing a couple yrs ago I fished the manatee and teracia bay area a lot. So at the bridge there is some nice grass areas at the south west side of the bridge, obviously the pilings themselves and to the south east area is a grass flat in the 3 to 5' depth range. We have cought everything from trout, snapper, sheapshead and smaller snook there. It can be very seasonal though and yes of course catfish. The river is full of catfish:banghead.

Good luck hope this helps
    BK
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Like This?
    Sarasota,Fl 
  • saltfishrsaltfishr Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Like This?

Correct, the span at the bottom right of your pic has multiple areas with rubble between the spans, there is decent grass areas to the left (west) of your circle bottom right. The large point to the right and the small cove that it sits in that area as well if you can get back in there. If you are able a little further west toward the braden river boat ramp; We have cought some small snook in the mangrove islands that are back in there. there are also several oysterbars in that area as well. I have never cought a red in that area but always felt that they had to be in there.

Good luck and hope this helps