Smoked Bluefish Spread

Rob PRob P Posts: 61 Deckhand
2 medium bluefish filets (skin on); place skin side down on foil, season with Old Bay and brush with a mustard BBQ sauce; smoke about 3 hrs on low heat.

Remove skin and dark flesh along centerline of filet; break filet into small pieces

Combine with:

small tub light cream cheese
1/2 cup mayo
chopped parsley; chives; finely chopped celery
juice 1/2 lemon
dash of worcestershire sauce

shape into ball and place in refrig overnight to let the flavors blend

serve with club crackers

Replies

• FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Thanks Rob P, for keeping the culinary hope for Florida bluefish alive.
    Usually when I catch them I marinate them in sesame oil, soy, veg oil in the fridge for a while.
    UNfortunately I usually forget that they're in there.
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Served this at my Fall BBQ this year and it was a HUGE hit, even among the women who normally don't eat fish. Would probably be good with Spanish filets as well.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,069 AG
    Rob P wrote: »
    Served this at my Fall BBQ this year and it was a HUGE hit, even among the women who normally don't eat fish. Would probably be good with Spanish filets as well.

Bluefish is much better than spanish. Atleast I think so.

Done_5052_zps855a605b.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Never tried it with Spanish, but don't catch many decent size blues on the FL gulf coast. Not like fall fishing at Hatteras.
    They may be smaller, but sure eat good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,356 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Bluefish is much better than spanish. Atleast I think so.

Finishedfish0005.jpg
    This pic makes me want to keep the next few bluefish I catch...I usually throw em back. These looked like their cooked perfectly.
    -Jon
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Just made this the other day after reading the post. Good stuff!
    What wood do you smoke with? I used alder and wished I had gone with something a little heavier to get more smoke flavor in the dip. Still a hit with the wife and the dog!
    NSByak wrote: »
    Just made this the other day after reading the post. Good stuff!
    What wood do you smoke with? I used alder and wished I had gone with something a little heavier to get more smoke flavor in the dip. Still a hit with the wife and the dog!

My former neighbor, who mainly smokes mullet, loved to use Pecan when doing his fish. I tend to use a mixture of Pecan and Cherry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did them with hickory and they turned out just right. Rob
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Mangrove, Buttonwood and Australian Pine all work very well.
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Bluefish is much better than spanish. Atleast I think so.[/IMG]

I love both, but to me bluefish have always been stronger in flavor than spanish. Maybe that's because I've only ever fried bluefish and broiled spanish. Broiled spanish mackerel is some of the tastiest most delicate flesh of any fish I've tried. Good stoff. I've always eaten bluefish fried crispy with tarter sauce, but maybe that's just because it's the way I always had it growing up.
    I love both, but to me bluefish have always been stronger in flavor than spanish. Maybe that's because I've only ever fried bluefish and broiled spanish. Broiled spanish mackerel is some of the tastiest most delicate flesh of any fish I've tried. Good stoff. I've always eaten bluefish fried crispy with tarter sauce, but maybe that's just because it's the way I always had it growing up.

Try the Bluefish blackened sometime. Very good also. Black 'n Bluefish. :grin
    If you have fresh caught Spanish, cut out the blood line and fry as you would Seatrout. You can hardly tell the difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Give the smoked bluefish dip a try. You'll never fry them again. Wouldn't use a blue over 5 lbs this way though.
    Rob P wrote: »
    Give the smoked bluefish dip a try. You'll never fry them again. Wouldn't use a blue over 5 lbs this way though.

Made a batch of fish dip with smoked Spanish this week. Just as good as bluefish. Slow smoked it for 3 hrs at 180-200 over hickory.