Home General Paddle Craft

Perception Sport Access 11.5 Angler Kayak @ ****'s

Any one own one of these kayaks?
Thinking I might purchase one when I come to visit in the spring.
I will be staying in the Tampa Bay area and fishing the bay while I'm there.
I'm sure it will work fine for the lakes back home in Canada.
How will it work for fishing around the bay and everglades areas?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Dave

Replies

• ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    The tankwell may not fit a standard milk crate.

For an extra $100 I'd advise you to purchase a tried and true fishing machine, the Perception pescador 12.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20973116&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-PADDLESPORTS-_-PADDLESPORTS-_-SKU-15792537&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:20973116:15792537:PADDLESPORTS-

Do a search here on the forums for "pescador" and consult other forums such as this one:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=192334

IMHO, the Pesky is the best bang-for-your-buck all around kayak. Offshore, inshore, everglades, bay you name it.

Just my .02 :wink
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
    Thanks
    I actually came across this one after I posted my question.
    And from what I've been reading it is the better choice.
    Looks like a nice rig too. :D

http://www.perceptionsport.com/kayaks/PRS_Pescador_120_Angler
    I have the west marine version, the Pompano 120.

Only difference? It does NOT come with a seat, however it does come with an anchor trolley install. I picked mine up early last year for $399 on sale :wink

Pound for pound, the pescador is the BEST entry level SOT fishing kayak you could buy NEW. Obviously, you can get deals on used kayaks but if buying new and on a budget, that's your best bang for your buck. I take mine offshore 90% of the time and it handles anything I've thrown at it....
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Lets hope for a sale when I visit in March. :wink
    Leaves more $$$ for bait and lures. :grin
  • screename116screename116 Posts: 76 Deckhand
    I am looking for a kayak as well. Would the pescador have space for a milk crate? Can you stand up in it?
  • Ralph-WiggumRalph-Wiggum Posts: 147 Officer
    A milk crate fits in the Pescador fine. However, it's definitely not meant for standing. I haven't tried standing in mine but there's a downward slope right in front of the seat which I imagine would make it tough to balance.
    A milk crate fits in the Pescador fine. However, it's definitely not meant for standing. I haven't tried standing in mine but there's a downward slope right in front of the seat which I imagine would make it tough to balance.

My tankwell fits

-Crate with PVC attached, 5 gallon bucket inside.
    -Kayak cart, lashed with bungee
    -Small cooler.

As far as standing goes? It can be done, with great balance. I've done it in the pool while testing gear, and on the flats/canals without much on board. You cannot stand in any kind of chop whatsoever, and it's quite difficult.

Bottom line, the Pesky isn't made for standing but it is a great, cheap , reliable offshore fishing platform. For the money, it can't be beat. If you need to stand and still go offshore, I'd look for a prowler on CL.
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Do you plan on going offshore?

If so, stay away from the caster. Please, do a search on the forums HERE for "caster" as well as "pescador" and "pompano" You'll find posts from where I bought and returned the caster in favor of the Pescador. A scotty rod holder can be EASILY installed up front for $25-30 and flush mounts cost $8 each. Don't think that the "angler" version offers anything more when they charge $100-150 more for 3 rod holders.

If I were you, I would screw in 3 separate scotty deck mounts (one in front, two behind the seat) and have three rod holders. VIOLA!

You could always go the PVC route and hose clamp/zip tie sections of PVC to a milk crate and create 4 rod holders very easy. People have bought the 3 rack rod holders (bass pro) and attached those to milk crates before as well.

I prefer to rig the kayaks myself for my applications as opposed to how they come from the store. Just my .02

Lt. Firedog is a WEALTH of knowledge when it comes to rigging kayaks, feel free to shoot him a PM or wait for him to chime in :wink

Back to the caster, it's a nice looking kayak and will be just fine for inshore/backcountry etc. The gunnels (sides) are just not high enough for offshore fishing in my mind. I took a TON of water over the sides, and there are no scuppers in the seat area. Thus, you take one big wave over the side, and you're stuck in a DEEP puddle for the rest of the day. It was quite annoying for me while offshore. Also, it has no keel whatsoever, completely flat bottom. Any wind, and you're all over the place. I found the Pescador easier to paddle, easier to rig and just an overall better fishing platform.

Just my .02 having bought and paddled both.
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Actually they are only charging an extra $50 for the angler version and it includes the 3 rod holders and anchor, which really isn't a bad deal.
    My guess is the non-angler version comes on sale more often though. :wink

Since I'm planning on picking one up on my vacation I will more than likely get the angler version as I don't want to waste precious vacay time rigging when I should be fishing. :grin

When I get back home the depth finder and other extras will be installed.
  • screename116screename116 Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Pescador it is then! lol I like the idea of rigging it myself. Will probably do one rod mount and a milk crate with two in the back.
  • Ralph-WiggumRalph-Wiggum Posts: 147 Officer
    I think the angler version only comes with two rod holders (one flush mounted and one Scotty), at least that's what mine came with. And, to be honest, I barely use the flush mounted rod holder; I prefer to use the milk crate/pvc pipes rod holders instead since they seem to protect my reels from getting splashed more than when in the flush mounted rod holder. If I had to do it again, I probably would've gone for the cheaper, non-angler package version. But if it's only $50 more, go for it.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    This is a great crate set-up for any SOT kayak that Bass&BBQ had in his Pescador 12.0-
    BTW...the single flushmount is the perfect storage spot for a grappling-style folding 3 lb anchor. thumbs_up_smiley.gif

P3290064.jpg