Home Ask the Law!

can i keep 2 snook if?

bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,101 Officer
im fishing the beach with my 13 year old daughter and she is with me.i have my salt water fishing license and snook stamp.does she need to catch one of the snook or can she just be chillin on her iphone?

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,371 Officer
    Sure, you can keep 2 snook, and in the process, you'll be teaching your kid how to violate the regs.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    If she reels it in if not heck no
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    She has to reel it in.

On a side note my niece and nephew always want me to take them fishing if I were to cast out for them and hook the fish and let them land it are they able to keep it or is it considered mine since I casted and hooked it.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,348 AG
    No different than some of the respected guides here that let their clients keep the "Guides" limit too.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,571 Captain
    Short answer Yes.

Ethical? Not really. What I mean by that is...If a FWC officer stops you and he asks her did you fish and then she looks at you with the "what do I say" look in her eyes then what?
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    SJC wrote: »
    Short answer Yes.

Ethical? Not really. What I mean by that is...If a FWC officer stops you and he asks her did you fish and then she looks at you with the "what do I say" look in her eyes then what?
    good point
    but i also think its kind of unethical for a fwc officer to ask a 13 year old if they fished. knowing good well that you are forcing the child to tell the truth and get daddy in trouble, or to lie in order to protect daddy. no need to put a child in that predicament. just ask the parent.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 817 Officer
    Darcy wrote: »
    good point
    but i also think its kind of unethical for a fwc officer to ask a 13 year old if they fished. knowing good well that you are forcing the child to tell the truth and get daddy in trouble, or to lie in order to protect daddy. no need to put a child in that predicament. just ask the parent.

Really? The FWC officer is putting her in that position or was it the parent who put her in that position? The truth is never wrong.
    Really? The FWC officer is putting her in that position or was it the parent who put her in that position? The truth is never wrong.
    i didnt say the fwc put her in that position to have to lie.. we all know who did but he is forcing her hand. I dont believe in this situation asking the child is absolutely necessary. Ask the responsible adult.

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,961 Captain
    bocapup1 wrote: »
    im fishing the beach with my 13 year old daughter and she is with me.i have my salt water fishing license and snook stamp.does she need to catch one of the snook or can she just be chillin on her iphone?

It's not a question of "can i" It's a question of did you...:grin
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,101 Officer
    nick no way man just asking before i bring her beach fishing.this weekend i will hook her up and force her to fish the mullet schools with me and we will see what happens and thanks for the answer.
  • Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
    Why don't you go to myfwc.com and see what the regs say. Why is everyone so lazy to do some leg work. Do you want to teach your 13 year old how daddy wants to break the law and cheat? Your pathetic!
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Cant you be happy with one snook? If your daughter doesn't like to fish forcing her will most likely make her hate fishing even more and hate going to the beach with you if she is going to be forced to fish. Take 2 aspirin and place a cold compress on your forehead, the bad case of snook fever you have will pass.
    Mako_One wrote: »
    Why don't you go to myfwc.com and see what the regs say. Why is everyone so lazy to do some leg work. Do you want to teach your 13 year old how daddy wants to break the law and cheat? Your pathetic!

Wow.

just asking a question before i did anything.mako u need a time out
  • PoppopPoppop Posts: 181 Deckhand
    I agree 100%. Even if you make a mistake. the truth will set you free but a lie lingers on.

Poppop
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,374 Captain
    Come on, Dude!
    Is this what you want to teach your kid??
  • LODI QUACKERLODI QUACKER Posts: 149 Deckhand
    HA !!!!!!! This is funny! Everyone here lives in glass houses. I cant believe there are so many perfect people in Florida. Dam not what I have seen when I have been there. If you hook up on a fish that she can handle, hand her the rod and let her fight it in. Take pics so you have the girl fighting a real fish and you net it. Done. End of story. Now you can catch yourself one. She must participate in the fish catching, she doesnt have to do it solo.
    i asked a question and after getting the correct answer i was all good,and then bashing for something i didnt do.go suck on something sour suckers!
    i asked a question and after getting the correct answer i was all good,and then bashing for something i didnt do.go suck on something sour suckers!

Too funny. I like it.

• kreidelkreidel Posts: 78 Deckhand
    To the OP I say just keep yours and teach your daughter how to respect our resources. It means a lot more when you earn it anyways.
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    Just remember how honest kids are. From the mouths of babes.................. I think you could be in a pickle. If you want to keep 2, teach the kid to fish. let her catch a legal one and keep it
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    I love the part where some of you guy's actually think he is going to catch a slot snook and better yet "Two" slot snooks..
    IMO if you hook up and gave her the rod to fight it/land it... and its a Slot>>>> take it home...

I would be hard press to see a FWC Officer come up to you and give you the third degree on who caught
    the "SLOT" snook :grin

Oh yea and didn't you know...Everybody on a forum is a Saint :willy-nilly

You want to give her a lesson on people breaking rules>
    run to a boat ramp and watch some of their catches.. and
    if you really want to see it thrown in your face> Go to most
    fishing piers and be ready to watch all the honest folks
    there... LOL..
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    for the last time i was asking a question and i got the answer so this thread should be dead but no too many butt-plugs on here with nothing better to do!grab your rods and go catch some fish already....out
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    butt-plugs to catch some fish

I've been snook fishing for a few years. Is this a diver, suspending or top water plug and do these types of plugs work?
  • Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
    If you got your answer, why do you continue to watch and post. is your conscience getting to you??
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Gotta love the internet police... LOL!

I've always fished with my dad. Used to catch the fish too. YES is your answer, if she doesn't need a license that's okay but she can keep the legal fish she catches. Just get her to reel it in anyway and that's about all they want to do anyway.

Would I keep 2 reds if taking a 6 yr old out fishing? You betcha and the kid would probably reel both of 'em in. Perfectly legal, legit, and ethically/morally acceptable to me.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Maybe the fish cop was hiding and watched you catch both. Then, when you and the girl both lie about it, you both get felony arrests for obstruction of justice.
    23895.gif
  • snookerf150snookerf150 Posts: 298 Officer
    These people are funny, i wonder how many of you go out grouper fishing and after their limit is in the box put their rod in the holder and say "well i cant fish anymore you guys have to catch your own limits" Or go lobstering and stop at their limit climb in the boat and watch the rest of their team continue. bunch of jokers here i tell ya.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    You and your daughter are a team. Do what you think is best for the team. Ask her what she thinks. If she doesn't care and you don't feel guilty then there you go. You're not doing anything illegal. The regulation says "1 per harvester". They don't define harvester in detail so if she's with you and you want to keep it then legally you are OK. From a personal standpoint, when I take my 8 year old daughter out she fishes but rarely catches a slot size fish. I have no problem keeping "our" bag limit if I am going to eat them within 48 hours. And yes I ask her if she wants to keep them........ Unless my wife says otherwise before we leave.
    well I was at the boat ramp today and asked the fwc personally about this question and this is what he said with a stone cold face so here it goes.the fisherman or fishergirl must hook there own bait,cast on there own or flip the bail,set the hook and fight the fish plus retrieve it to make it a legal catch.asked if they have been catching and with the same stone cold face he replies cocaine and marijuana :USA