Home General Paddle Craft

Weather not looking good for the tourney.

Everybody still going?
Nil magnum nisi bonum

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    I'm out, but not because I am afraid to launch in the surf.
    All this **** rain has highlighted a leak in my new house, so I'll be repairing that this weekend instead of fishing :cry
    Good luck to all that make it out there.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    I should add, Joe and his crew will have their eyes on the weather too, so if its not safe, he will move the date. They are all about safety first.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 498 Deckhand
    3 to 5 separates the men from the boy's. But won't be bringing the Pro Angler.
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Android77 wrote: »

call me a boy, 2-3 no problem 3-5 occasional seas up to 6' not fun no matter what kind of boat you have......hoping it dies wayyyyyy down. Boynton says 4-6 occasional 8' wont even see boats out.
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 356 Deckhand
    I will be there, but its not going to be pretty!!

It is looking to be even worse than last years September Slam at this point!!
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    It will be fine. Way to early to properly predict. We will know more at the captain meeting. Android is right. What happened to all the so call hard core kayakers. I read a lot of post from forum brother's stating how they launch in 4/6 ft seas.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I am a hard core 2 foot or less angler. Never rolled in the surf and plan to keep it that way. :crossed. Hope they do it another day if the seas are up.
  • Mag1171Mag1171 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    It must suck for the guys coming from far if it was to get postponed.
    Nil magnum nisi bonum
  • rvadogrvadog Posts: 831 Officer
    I am a hard core 2 foot or less angler. Never rolled in the surf and plan to keep it that way. :crossed. Hope they do it another day if the seas are up.

Same here. Too much amazing freshwater fishing here for me to be miserable just to bend a pole.
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    Android77 wrote: »

Sweeeet lemme borrow dat
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Hope they do it another day if the seas are up.

Not me, I drive 4 hours to get to the tourney. As long as I can break through the surf its game on. Would really suck to take time off work, drive 4 hours, pay for a hotel, only to get sent packing at 6am on the beach.

As long as the period is long enough the surf will be more than doable. If not, we will see who can bust through it!
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I'm out, but not because I am afraid to launch in the surf.
    All this **** rain has highlighted a leak in my new house, so I'll be repairing that this weekend instead of fishing :cry
    Good luck to all that make it out there.

Did you pay to enter already?
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    It will be fine. Way to early to properly predict. We will know more at the captain meeting. Android is right. What happened to all the so call hard core kayakers. I read a lot of post from forum brother's stating how they launch in 4/6 ft seas.

x2. To early to tell. Since Monday it has gotten way better! We really won't know till Friday. This happens to us every tournament.
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Did you pay to enter already?
    nope, but if it gets rescheduled I have a better chance of entering.

@Flatsbroke, I remember last September with the rain, surf and lightning, but even that turned out ok!

@Flatsbroke, I remember last September with the rain, surf and lightning, but even that turned out ok!

Yeah man, It happens, this time of year the weather reports can be so off. It's really hard to tell. But on a Positive note, its getting better. I have a feeling we will luck out on this one.
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Punching through the surf is EASY in 3-5. Just friggin' paddle fast and straight into the wave......
    EVERYWHERE else in the country that's a calm summer day.....
    Doing so W a loaded livewell, however is a WHOLE different story, and needs to be done carefully timing the sets...
    Water temps right now are way cooler than last year as we seem to be seeing more customary fall conditions...

Im unfortunately out as well, Got Kid stuff in the AM and my wife is workin 7-7...Catch up w you fools in May ( if not sooner at the beach....lol ) Maybe Ill show up for the weigh in and say HI....

Lotsa luck to all competing !
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Its the EXTREME OFFSHORE TOURNAMENT!! if yall want the inshore grassflat classic then dont enter
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
    :funnypost :Agree A lot of the guys here offer so much advice on Offshore kayak fishing yet none of them ever compete. EVER.
    :funnypost :Agree A lot of the guys here offer so much advice on Offshore kayak fishing yet none of them ever compete. EVER.

Well it could be for other reasons...last tourney I didn't compete because of my knee but still lent a helping hand where I could. Some don't compete due to the $$$. After entrance fee, parking, gogs, gear etc it becomes an expensive day on the water. One of the most attractive aspects of kayak fishing is the low cost option compared to owning a boat, chartering a boat or even hopping on the drift/party style boats.

As a recent college grad (two years) I could see where someone could be limited by their disposable income.

On another note, my Pompano gets REALLY tippy with a full livewell. It's even worse in anything over 2-3 seas, thus anything over that I wouldn't even want to bring live bait/bucket. Without live bait my chances of winning the tourney are drastically lower than the other people using livies. In that situation, it would almost be a "waste" for me to enter.

I'm just trying to play devils advocate here as I've been in both situations. Luckily, I'm more financially free now a days and I've paid off most of my student loan debt.

Dougs post was funny though.....:rotflmao
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Zimmerman, You could write a book with all those **** excuses. Lol all good bro, I'm just messing.
  • kayakanglerkayakangler Posts: 207 Officer
    Zimmerman, You could write a book with all those **** excuses. Lol all good bro, I'm just messing.

I agree, plus Zimmerman, the parking is free during the tourney :-)

who cares if its a little choppy, it adds to the excitement. It feels awesome once you get past the surf (going thru it can be sketchy) you are going to get wet in the kayak even if its flat out so that's no excuse. If you haven't flipped before, your not pushing yourself hard enough. just my opinion

Not excuses, I was in the same situations that I described at one point. I hear ya though, excuses are for the weak.

With that being said, I'll see y'all at the captains meeting, I'll be selling volunteering and selling shirts for charity!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Every day the weather looks better. 2 foot off the beach and it builds up as you make your way out. I will be there and will be shooting some video. I went off Palm Beach one winter. The seas that day were 8 to 10 foot along the beach.:hairraiser I paddled out the inlet and talked to a few surfers, hooked a few macks:fishing and paddled back in. It was a nice ground swell and not choppy at all. I could never made a beach landing that day. I now pick my days, 2 foot or less, Go with the flow, push myself a little to keep a good drift , catch a few fish and stay upright.:dance
  • burroughsa0623burroughsa0623 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    never been over to east coast but I'm still driving the 6 1/2 hours after class and heading down. im so pumped for this. Check out the FlardaFish booth when you guys get in! its a small company i run that im trying to get bigger, we will have some sweet new shirts, hats, decals and koozies! see you guys at capt meeting!
    never been over to east coast but I'm still driving the 6 1/2 hours after class and heading down. im so pumped for this. Check out the FlardaFish booth when you guys get in! its a small company i run that im trying to get bigger, we will have some sweet new shirts, hats, decals and koozies! see you guys at capt meeting!

Oh, I'm all about Coozies! I'll rep one for you, see ya at the meeting tomorrow!
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Based on hourly wind reports, you're looking at a NW wind throughout Friday and Saturday starting off with a slow N wind. I wouldn't be surprised if it's glass.

Last Sunday had bad reports, and ended up being a light chop.

If it's flat Friday, you can bet it will be flat for the tournament.

Here's what we're looking at right now!
    uploadfromtaptalk1380212000597.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
    looks nice out there!
    looks nice out there!

Exactly. Can't predict the weather too early. Friday will tell for sure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Deckhand
    i'm out. but not because of weather. my stepson was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident on monday morning. he's still in trauma ICU in ft. pierce. his mother has not left his side, so i am doing everything to keep everything operating 'round here so she can just focus on him.

for everyone attending,

O Eternal Lord God,
    who alone spreads out the heavens and rules the raging of the seas,
    receive into your protection all those who go down to the sea in ships and occupy their business on the great waters.
    Preserve them both in body and soul,
    prosper their labors with good success,
    in all times of danger, be their defense,
    and bring them to the haven where they would be.

cheers.
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
    uno--mas wrote: »
    i'm out. but not because of weather. my stepson was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident on monday morning. he's still in trauma ICU in ft. pierce. his mother has not left his side, so i am doing everything to keep everything operating 'round here so she can just focus on him.

for everyone attending,

O Eternal Lord God,
    who alone spreads out the heavens and rules the raging of the seas,
    receive into your protection all those who go down to the sea in ships and occupy their business on the great waters.
    Preserve them both in body and soul,
    prosper their labors with good success,
    in all times of danger, be their defense,
    and bring them to the haven where they would be.

cheers.
    drew

****... Sorry to hear the news. I hope things work out for you and your family. Thanks for the prayer. I'll be sending some your way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Helio Gracie

Links: