Further addition to the Gun Cabinet.

Staying with the same theme of a quiet approach/stealth mode, the latest addition is a fully moderated over and under shotgun.

HushpowerOUA_zpsde46e86e.jpg

HushpowerOUB_zps252288d8.jpg

Its a basic Italian Investarm 20ga, single trigger, with fixed chokes at 1/2 and 3/4.
The fully moderated barrel makes it quieter than the Mossberg moderated pump, especially with subsonic cartridges.
With a barrel length of 30", it is much smaller than the Mossberg .
It also has a much closer "point of aim", so the front heavy allowance is almost minimal.

I will keep the Mossberg for evening rabbits and walking around the barns, etc., but I found the pump action movement in the hide/blind was spooking additional incoming birds.
The extra length in the hide was also difficult on occasions.

Its quite surprising how many avenues the quieter approach is opening up for me.
I shot 45 pigeons in 2 hours around a grain store, that I would not have been allowed to shoot with a normal 12 ga, due to nearby housing and noise nuisance.
I have also been asked to clear out the crows from a large pig farm, which has a Hospital within 400 yards and there are a few more opportunities in the pipeline.
I don't want too many crow shooting offers as I can't sell them and 20ga cartridges are at $395 per 1000, with the subsonics at $480 per 1000.

Fortunately, I still have lots of land where the unmodified 12ga can be used with impunity and good effect.
There is no doubt I shoot better with my "standard" guns, but I am also enjoying the novelty of the latest additions.

Replies

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,974 Captain
    That's Grand!
    Cheers!
    God, save the South!
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,952 Captain
    It ain't real pretty, but it sure is ugly.
    Still think it's neat, though.
    Cartridge prices over here have caught up to y'all.

I paid right at 60 dollars for 200 rounds a couple of weeks ago.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,310 Officer
    The moderator is a 360 adonised metal tube with about 1" of thread at the bottom, that screws on to this male threaded flange on the gun (sorry about the excess grease blob) .
    A grub screw is used to "secure" it.

HushpowerOUD_zps6da24089.jpg

This is the gun with the moderator removed.
    You can see the set of six holes drilled through the original barrel.

HushpowerOUC_zps7b686564.jpg

Finally, the two pieces side by side.
    The moderator is hollow until the end of the original barrels, then the extra length is taken up by baffles inside the moderator.

HushpowerOUG_zps81ab0f99.jpg

I hope that is all easy to understand.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,315 Captain
    shotgun silencer,sweet!
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,867 Captain
    How quiet is it Brian.
    Less decibels than a four hundred and ten?
    F the feds
    I cannot be accurate with a decibel comparison, but a .410 tends to "crack".
    The noise from this Hushpower is more like a "thud", it doesn't sound like a gun going off.
    It is definitely much quieter than an unmoderated .410.

Today was a still day with light variable winds, I did a test with subsonic ammo this afternoon and fired away from a friend standing 200 yards behind me and he couldn't hear it.
    He could hear a noise at 125 yards, but not like a gun firing and he said it wasn't loud enough to make him look up.
    On a normal windy day down here, with perhaps a little rain to thicken the air , I doubt anyone would hear this at 100 yards.

They also have a .410 conversion which sounds like a springer air rifle being fired.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Your gun cabinet must be quite impressive. That is not a pretty o/u but it sounds like it sure makes up in function what it lacks in form.
    Thanks for sharing a unique piece
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,277 AG
    Take a video shooting a regular 20 and this one and post it. It gets another ugly vote from me but it is neat looking and would be good on a hot dove or duck hole :grin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • stanwillstanwill Posts: 387 Deckhand
    " Hot dove or duck hole" What that be? :grin
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish
    micci_man wrote: »
    Take a video shooting a regular 20 and this one and post it. It gets another ugly vote from me but it is neat looking and would be good on a hot dove or duck hole :grin

Being a bit of a Luddite, I don't own a video camera and even my mobile phone is a basic one without camera facilities, but I will set something up and post some noise comparisons in the next few days.
  • rgrx1276rgrx1276 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Wow, That is waaay cool! I have several suppressed firearms and they are a ton of fun to shoot, but I've never seen a real suppressed shotgun before.
    That is a problem with the Mossberg, but you can adjust for it.
    However, over a matter of hours it can be tiring.

The O/U being much lighter and a "normal" length, feels just like a standard gun, with a slightly different view down the barrels.
    I am taking it for a 100 sporting clays next week and I will learn a lot from that.
    I don't like practicing in the field on live birds, as missing costs me money.:)