Egret 189 150 Yamaha SHO VS 2011 250 SHO ((Help Deciding))

houlesterhoulester Posts: 12 Greenhorn
I am selling my larger offshore boat and looking to downsize to a higher end flats boat. I have considered a Yellowfin 21 or the Egret Line. I am about 90% sure I would like to move on an Egret. I like the self-bailing feature, lockable fish storage option, and the huge amount of dry storage. I have always had Yamaha 4 strokes and haven’t had any problems. I have considered the 175 Etech for the 189 but don’t know if I want to fool with the oil reservoir. I would be fishing primarily two people in the Tampa Bay, Tarpon Springs, and maybe trailering the boat to the keys or Boca Grande. I want something that is going to be lightning fast, easy to take care of, and of course fun. My fishing would be for redfish, Tarpon in the passes and off the beach, and maybe trolling for grouper in Tampa Bay. I am fairly large at 230 and my buddies are as well. I would be putting a trolling motor on the front, possible two blade power poles, Garmin, etc

Could someone please give me some advice on which one to go with? The 189 or 2011? Engine ideas? I owned a Boston Whaler 17 Montauk and used to have fun on that smaller boat.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,374 Officer
    If your going with a 189 then i would get the Mercury 175 Pro XS is the fastest motor on that boat combo no questions asked because i owned one!The fuel economy and the speed can't be touched by a Etec or SHO

If your going with a 2011 then the Yamaha SHO 250 or the Mercury 250 Pro XS is the two to decide on.The SHO will be quieter and you will not need to use 2 stoke oil but the Mercury get's better fuel economy than the SHO as far as speed that is to be determined still in break in on my motor.
    Hope this helps!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    2011 with the SHO is a great boat with a refined power plant that has no competition.

You really need to have a firm idea of what you are going to do with the boat for us to say witch boat will be better for your application.What area do you fish and what type of fishing do you do? If you have time to come down to Duck Key and demo some Egrets in October you can ride in some birds there.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • houlesterhoulester Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Thanks Guys for the input. I am strongly thinking of coming down to Duck Key and checking out some boats. I'm not to far and that would be a great time to see some in person. Other than a picture and a video I have never seen one up close. Very very impressed by what I have seen and heard.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    You know my vote. The 2011 is the sled
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    This advice is from a happy 189 owner: It sounds like you don't plan on poling the boat, will do a little live bait, running big waters like Tampa Bay and outside the passes and want to go fast...that screams 20'11" all day long. I trailer massive distances and still wanted to pole and store a smaller boat so I went with the 189. The 189 feels like it should be rated for a 200 HP or higher. My Yamaha F150 is fine on it but I would love to have more power. I wish someone would put the new SHO 150 on a 189 because I am very curious about the performance differences compared to my F150. If they ever come out with a SHO 175, I may have some thinking to do.
    Thanks so much everyone. I have a deposit on my boat being sold so there is some excitement brewing! I love both boats. Will have to figure if I will store it in the garage or at the office. If at home it would be the 189 but I don't think my garage will cover the poling platform or length. 84 inches on the height and 20ft length. Why did I buy a house with such a small garage?? So if its at the office I will have Yamaha come up with a 350 sho and strap it on the back of the 2011 since that is the max hp and I can litteraly fly to the fishing spots.
    91tiger wrote: »
    This advice is from a happy 189 owner: It sounds like you don't plan on poling the boat, will do a little live bait, running big waters like Tampa Bay and outside the passes and want to go fast...that screams 20'11" all day long. I trailer massive distances and still wanted to pole and store a smaller boat so I went with the 189. The 189 feels like it should be rated for a 200 HP or higher. My Yamaha F150 is fine on it but I would love to have more power. I wish someone would put the new SHO 150 on a 189 because I am very curious about the performance differences compared to my F150. If they ever come out with a SHO 175, I may have some thinking to do.

I don't think the 150 SHO would be much faster. There is a performance test on Yamaha rating the Maverick 18. Same top speed numbers and close acceleration times between the 150 and SHO150.
  • Larry418Larry418 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    houlester wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone. I have a deposit on my boat being sold so there is some excitement brewing! I love both boats. Will have to figure if I will store it in the garage or at the office. If at home it would be the 189 but I don't think my garage will cover the poling platform or length. 84 inches on the height and 20ft length. Why did I buy a house with such a small garage?? So if its at the office I will have Yamaha come up with a 350 sho and strap it on the back of the 2011 since that is the max hp and I can litteraly fly to the fishing spots.

My thoughts align with 91tiger's. I have a 189 with a 150 etec. I am very happy with it.It runs in the low 50's which works for me.
    From the bit of information you gave about your fishing habits and the size of you and your friends it sounds like the 2011 is the way to go. Either way you will be getting a great boat.
    I have always owned very nice boats but nothing super fast. So it sounds like if I narrowed it down to two it would be either the 189 with a 175 PROXS or the 2011 with a 250SHO. It's funny how you can feel so excited to sell a boat yet within hours feel so excited to get a boat. It really makes no sense. Lol
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I have a new 175 pro xs on a 189. These engine's are not very quiet when running around so if you prefer that or you have really good hearing like I do, you may want to elect an Etec with the same 5 yr warranty. At idle it's OK but the drone at 40 mph on longer runs wears on you. I do lots of long runs as my average day running around is often 100 miles total. Some like the noise but I prefer quiet on the water. If I had it do over, I would have not elected the Proxs. I have cars if I want to hear HP and noise. Whatever you elect, I think you would be happier with the extra hp vs. the 150. As for the 2011, space wise and functionality wise you'd probably be happier with the larger platform and it floats in the same water as the 18. If the odd looking asymmetrical hatch designs up front don't bother you much you should give it strong consideration. And you may want to inquire about having them make a molded hatch for you too for the splash well instead of the after market ones that don't really match the rest of the finish and are prone to leak according to some owners.
    A lot of pros and cons. If I don't order a boat first I am really going to to try and stop by the Duck Key event this year for Egret. Thanks everyone for your insite. It is nice to hear from owners.
    Hope you make it down to Duck Key. We'll be more than happy to take you for a ride and show you the boats inside and out first hand in real world conditions.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Hope you make it down to Duck Key. We'll be more than happy to take you for a ride and show you the boats inside and out first hand in real world conditions.

Thanks a lot. I will look for you. What would be a good time and day to come down? I wouldn't be staying the night so I would want to try and come when the most boats would be around to check them out.
    I would think early afternoon.Since we'll be fishing in the morning till about mid day then take a break for lunch and maybe some afternoon fishing also.Set it up with Frank and i'm sure he'll pass it on to us when he would like us to be around for some demos.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    houlester wrote: »
    If at home it would be the 189 but I don't think my garage will cover the poling platform or length. 84 inches on the height and 20ft length. Why did I buy a house with such a small garage??

My 189 fits fine diagonally in a double wide door garage 20 ft by 20 ft on a low (but not custom) riding trailer with a swing tongue. I had an older 189 for 8 years and then ordered a new 189. I thought for quite a while about the 2011 but just didn't feel it would vastly change the fishing I do: mostly just increase the costs.

Can't beat the option of looking at multiple boats in one place though!

Check out the extra tall and extra wide offset console rails on my boat if you / passengers are over 6 ft tall.
    Would love to see your pictures. I am 6'2" and brother in law is 6'4". Plus our combined weight is probably 500lbs. We need all the help we can get. I have another fishing buddy over 6ft too and large. Grow them big down here in Tampa!
    mbowers wrote: »
    My 189 fits fine diagonally in a double wide door garage 20 ft by 20 ft on a low (but not custom) riding trailer with a swing tongue. I had an older 189 for 8 years and then ordered a new 189. I thought for quite a while about the 2011 but just didn't feel it would vastly change the fishing I do: mostly just increase the costs.

Can't beat the option of looking at multiple boats in one place though!

Check out the extra tall and extra wide offset console rails on my boat if you / passengers are over 6 ft tall.
  • knot tightknot tight Posts: 250 Deckhand
    I see Egrets Landing above comment about noise and I will let you know the 250 SHO is not a quiet motor either. I just sold a Yellowfin 21 Hybrid with the SHO and I would have probably kept it if I didn't get a headache everytime I ran the boat 10 miles or more.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    knot tight wrote: »
    I see Egrets Landing above comment about noise and I will let you know the 250 SHO is not a quiet motor either. I just sold a Yellowfin 21 Hybrid with the SHO and I would have probably kept it if I didn't get a headache everytime I ran the boat 10 miles or more.

The Merc is allot louder than the SHO and I think they come with ear plugs.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Ghost147Ghost147 Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    All I know, is that I'm saving up for a Egret 189.... it'll take 3-4yrs before I can achieve it financially, however, I can see it...... The first one in Australia. I have good experience with the Yamahas and most guides here including myself use them. They are really silent and stealthy to approach very wary fish. I have not had the same feelings with E-tecs or Mercurys to date, however, I have heard from a few guys running the Mercury's that they have fixed a problem with them and that they are a lot better than previous.

Michael
    East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Tying Group Member

Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963
    "Just because a fish swims away, it does not mean it will survive! Think about your fish handling methods!"