9/22 Gags

Saturday night I cancelled plans to go offshore Sunday due to winds and predicted morning t-storms. 7:30AM, woke up to light winds (As it appeared) and clear skies. Woke up my buddy and told him to git his butt over here……we’re fishing! Took a cple of grouper rods and inshore rods and decided to do a little shallow water prospecting. Headed out of Gasparilla and ran into a steady SSW wind. Solid 2-3’s footers just a few miles offshore (Mostly 3’s with an occasional 4 as the morning progressed). Anchored on our bait spot and sabiki’d 3-4 dozen big pins then headed to a rock pile in about thirty something foot of water to see if there were any gags around. We nearly emptied the well on the first rock pile. Caught gag after gag, but all were 19-21”. This told me what I needed to know and we did not bother with any of our other near shore rock piles and little breaks. Headed back in, tried a cple deep docks to see if they were holding big gags…nothing with the exception of a 15lb Goliath.

Messed with some fall red fish (27-32”) in the skinny water for a ½ hour then ran the outside of the bars looking to skip some pomps I keep hearing about, but miles of running and I did not skip a single one. Called it a quick day and headed back in.

Judging by the number & size of gags on my spot, we’re not too far away. Once the water turns more green, a few more dips in water temperature and the influx of the bait schools; the fall near shore gag fishery will start to light up. This rock pile and many others were nonexistent of gags just three weeks ago. Year after year, spots like this have produced easy limits of Gags up to 20lbs, often culling 24” fish for 28 – 32 inch fish. If we have the bait, we’ll even drop down 18” live ladyfish & 12” live mullet to avoid the smaller gags.

Hope to head out deeper once this front passes. Bright side is, were one front less away from what is probably the best inshore and offshore transitionairy period in our area.

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,567 Moderator
    Hey thanks for the very helpful report. Another crazy summer/fall now, weather forcast.
    larrywitt
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    We have been getting our gags mixed in over flat live bottom with the RG. We spent Saturday night60 miles out of Homosassa in that slop and Sunday calmed until around noon.
    This front out to fire things up.
    Nice effort!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Your right on with the gags CA , last week on the inside of Old San Carlos Pass Picked two 23" gags on big pins . My fishing buddy went out Sunday and picked one 25" gag trolling a bomber inside of the Sanibel Light .
  • ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    Already been picking a few off some of that inshore stuff. About three weeks away in my opinion.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 691 Officer
    Hopefully we get good weekend weather!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    Hopefully we get good weekend weather!

Another pressure system over the weekend. Nasty until Monday. Tuesday through all of next week looks good. Light easterly winds and near zero chance of rain. At least that's what the weather gods predict. Tuesday is the start of our short ARS Season.

Anybody looking to head out next week for ARS?

PSC/Luna: I agree; a few more weeks. I've always done well once the water temps dip below 80 and the masses of threads, sardines, etc. are in our area by the acres, headed south. Seems like the shorts first appear, then the big boys follow shortly after.
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Not next weekend but the following weekend on the Trek . We figured out the fuel and it was less to go with Kenny for a few days .
    Luna, what dates are you going on sea trek and cost?
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,731 Captain
    Already predicting next weekend on tues? Heck, they can't predict it to days out!
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Red snapper? Yes please... I will more than likely going for them. Come on good weather!
    Luna, got it, thanks. Pm replied to
  • surferjs01surferjs01 Posts: 184 Officer
    Sometimes the bigger gags like a swimbait, I hit a rock pile about a week ago in 39 feet and we got the smaller gags on live bait (pinfish and threads) . But once we dropped down a swimbait they fired up!
    Follow me on instagram for daily catches! @surferjs12