Home General Paddle Craft

Ascend Brand Kayaks

Was looking at basspro.com and keep seeing Ascend kayaks. Are these like bassproshop brand or something? Are they any good? Looking at buying my first yak for inshore and looking to paddle out past the surf/sand bar.

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Sand/product/11081905012225/

Thoughts on this or the next class up from it?

Replies

• Android77Android77 Posts: 498 Deckhand
    There are a lot better kayaks just watch Craig's List and the for sale in this forum and you will get a lot more bang for your buck. Go where people fish and see what they have to keep from having buyers remorse.
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    I agree with above...... Check craigslist religiously a couple times a day and you could find a great deal.

If you really want an Ascend I'd go with this o
    http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128TSit-On-Top-Angler-Kayak-Camo/product/12102505321116/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    ascend is bass pro brand.
    they are alright, my buddy has the previous version of that yak, which is almost the same, hes had it for several years now, still works great. its a decent starter yak, but i agree with the above, find something used on craigslist. if you see something you might like, google search it and gather info to see if it will suite you.

i have the new ascend, the FS128. its a heavy *** yak, but for calm days, poling the flats, standing up, its hard to beat at that price.
    i would have made it a bit different to improve it, but its good for a cheap fishing platform.
    i have several videos on youtube catching fish from it, search awe son fishing

im thinking about selling the yak and looking into a hobie, taking that next step up, but for now, it does the job.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Yep, BassPro store brand.
    I've heard that folks main complaint is how flimsy the hulls are.....like the others have said; look for a name brand boat.

I'm not a big fan of Craigslist (even though I have sold 12 kayaks through the site), a majority of sellers describe their offering as being pristine...but it ends up being some abused piece of plastic with a unrealistic price.

That said, f you keep a keen eye out, there are some good deals to be found, they don't last long at all.

I recommend buying new due to the warranty and ability to deal with the local shop if any problems pop up in the future.....but that's me.

Here's a bit of advice.......buy a Hobie now, because that's what your going to want eventually. :grin

Good luck.
  • krashkrash Posts: 687 Officer
    LT has a lot of good advice, search these sites and you'll see plenty of recommendations, MPO is Hobies are nice but being in this paddling mess for many years I've never said wish I had a Hobie, although I've had 3 canoes, and 3 kayaks, currently in a kevlar canoe and have a fiberglass Dorado kayak just sitting in the back yard in need of some serious TLC. Good starter yaks for around $500 can be found at **** - Perception & Field & Stream Talon, or West Marine - Pompano.

If you search here you'll also find a few reviews on the Ascend kayaks.. what I remember reading is they are heavy, and come with leaky hatches although I've never had one. Seeing them in the store I've seen more than one with dented mal-formed hulls.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish