9/21 Prospecting Grouper Trip.

I first have to thank everyone who posted info on my last post "East Coast Boat in SoWFla". Full of great info.

I headed out from the dock at 6.20am and out of Red Fish Pass. Live well had small pinfish, Green and White Bucktail jig, and Squid chunks. Headed due east until I saw 60ft. Then started NW. Looking at the Depth finders I identified hard bottom in about 5 spots. All of them looked pretty much the same on the depth finder, but no fish found. There was one spot we marked on the way out and we didnt stop . We reached 70 feet and decided to head back to that spot we skipped. BOOM.

The three of us dropped the three different types of bait and all 3 hooked up immediatley. Great Feeling!! 2 of them keepers (not huge, but keepers). We stayed over this spot for a while pulling up 15 Red Grouper and 1 Gag. Biting on all three baits.

Headed home around 1pm and glad to have an offshore boat. NOAA said 2 feet, but it was the roughest 2 feet I have ever had. Cleaning Grouper and watching College Football pool side... Can a Saturday get any better?!

#### Cleaning the red groupers I found that they had 10 or so black tube like worms inside the fillet meat. Has anyone seen these before? Its not like the worms Im used to seeing on AJs and such jacks. #######

Replies

• swaptrexswaptrex Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Worms are common in grouper, just cut them out. I personally wouldn't eat them (the worms), but some do.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,565 Captain
    Yeah just cut them out. No biggie

Congrats on your catch
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    Just awesome that you were able to hit the mother load with just a little advice. I'm happy with you, now where are my grouper filets! But seriously congratz. Sound like you found a honey hole. What bait seemed to be the best? Was it 15 keepers?
  • PtsrhenryPtsrhenry Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Don't talk about the worms at the dinner table.
    RANGER BAY 2300
  • iss that riteiss that rite Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Congrat to your homework on finding your honey hole :fishing. Was it 15 keeper on RG or catch and release 15 RG but still a good job. We would like to see some pics thanks.
  • BlanesBlanes Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Sorry Finsfan - I gave my fillets to the crew. I will try to remember yours next time :)
    The 16 Grouper count includes the shorts, so I wouldnt go as far as saying I found "the motherload", but defenitley somewhere to bend the rods. Im not the type of fisherman that goes out to Limit Out on fish. It is my preference to only bring back fish we can eat that night or the next day. I much rather catch fish than eat them I guess. Below is a pic of the best two keepers.
  • BlanesBlanes Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Also 8 of the 16 grouper hit on Live Pins. 3 on the Bucktail Jig - including the largest fish. 3 on Squid.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,116 Officer
    Nice ! What more can you ask for , we do live in paridise, that's for sure. Nic to have you aboard and reporting' thanks
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,647 Moderator
    Worms in grouper is normal situation. In the past health experts have said they pose no health threat. Once cooked just another source of protein.
    Thanks for the post keep them coming.
    larrywitt
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    Blanes wrote: »
    Sorry Finsfan - I gave my fillets to the crew. I will try to remember yours next time :)
    The 16 Grouper count includes the shorts, so I wouldnt go as far as saying I found "the motherload", but defenitley somewhere to bend the rods. Im not the type of fisherman that goes out to Limit Out on fish. It is my preference to only bring back fish we can eat that night or the next day. I much rather catch fish than eat them I guess. Below is a pic of the best two keepers.

Ah ok I thought you caught 16 keepers. thats why I said the motherload :).
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 757 Officer
    Some nice fish there. Congrats on putting the info to good use.
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Nice trip. Very little need to go past 70 feet this time of year for grouper around here. Reds will be in the 50-70 foot range for the next few months