Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

whens the best time to go camping?

i have paddled out and camped twice now in the past couple of years and caught one fish. The last time i went it dropped in the 20 degree area and the time before that there was a tropical storm. When is the best time to go camping out there?

Replies

• IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    I like to sleep in a bed too much to camp, but I would think that Spring would be the best time. A lot of folks go down South in the winter, but you have to be careful regarding strong cold fronts and storms. Still windy in March, but late April and early May bring stable weather, improved snook fishing, and it's usually before the start of hurricane season.
    P1000022_2.jpg
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    Camped many times in the islands. It can be great, but time of year is definately important. Late October and also April if the winter is mild. Never done all that well in winter and the bugs during the Summer months can make it down right miserable. Try the outside islands because there tend to be fish in these transition areas and you can fish the the beaches very early and very late since your camp is esentially right there. Nothing better than catching some pomps, seatrout or reds and cooking them for breakfast or dinner over an open flame!
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I love camping in November. The reds are schooled up, the weather is great and football is on the radio. And the yankees are still up North. No crowds.
  • ifishifish Posts: 132 Deckhand
    looks like october or novemeber i will be heading west thanks guys.
  • ShottShott Posts: 203 Officer
    Right after the first cold front pushes through and kills the bugs some. For me winter fishing in the glades is the best. A large variety of tasty fish to be caught. Time your trip 1-2 days after a good front goes through and the weather is warming up and the fishing can get crazy.