Tubing Ft. DeSoto

Tampa Bay BoaterTampa Bay Boater Posts: 69 Greenhorn
I'll be out of Bunces Pass on Saturday morning and would like to pick up the family at Ft. DeSoto in the afternoon for some tubing. What do you think is the best/safest location in that area to run around for awhile with the shorties?

Replies

• Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    *** There are a few areas out of the traffic and the wind... WIND being key word here. Find "flat" water. I see boats tubing rrrregularly around the corner by Tierra Verde. Follow the channel around by the houses. Usually flat water, and 4-5' deep. You can also hit the "flats" up towards Conception Key, but NOT that far out in the "shallows".
    Right off the channel on the (right) South side as you leave the boat ramp @ Ft. Desoto, hang a right, go under bridge, and a few hundred yards up on the South side of channel is grassy and 3-5' deep. If the wind is from the WEST, head to I-275 on the EAST side closer to Skyway. Grassy area again in the 3-6' deep range. Hide from the wind, and do a quick "tour" of the area to know your limits. No rocky areas where I've suggested, and light boat traffic.
  • Tampa Bay BoaterTampa Bay Boater Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Thanks Capt. Pants... we'll take some time (along with your notes) tomorrow and have a good look around before giving it a go.

Much appreciated!
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    Thanks Capt. Pants... we'll take some time (along with your notes) tomorrow and have a good look around before giving it a go.

Much appreciated!
    We fished the area off Tierra Verde I had mentioned and there were tubes there being towed yesterday. It's near "**** Key". Clean grass flats about 3-5' deep.