Live well pump

Daniel79Daniel79 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
I have a new egret. Great thus far. Only nagging issue is the live well. I have an 800gph pump with clam shell output. Can I replace the pump with an 1100 gph pump or would I have to place new fittings and hoses as well?

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,376 Officer
    The 1100 does have 1 1/8 inch fittings and the pump housing is different to accept the larger output hose.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Daniel79 wrote: »
    I have a new egret. Great thus far. Only nagging issue is the live well. I have an 800gph pump with clam shell output. Can I replace the pump with an 1100 gph pump or would I have to place new fittings and hoses as well?

No.. Just change out the pump if you want. The fittings and hoses should work fine for either well pump depending on what was put in there. Some require a different size hose fitting. But it seems to me 13+ gallons pumping through there every min. should be quite sufficient though. Maybe you should just add an aerator to what you have if you are loosing bait. Water flow probably not the problem.
    If you put the 1100 on the 800 housing with the 3/4 in. hose you may cause to much back pressure and burn the pump up. I would swap it out if it was me to be safe.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer

Why is this a nagging issue?
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Daniel79Daniel79 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I m having a hard time keeping bait alive. Today, blacked out the well, in an hour, 200 baits dead. In a couple hours, only had 100 alive. Wasn't too upset, since it only took me 10 minutes to net the bait. The bait gets sluggish then blocks the drain and the well overflows. I had to babysit the livewell to keep unclogging the drain pipe. Once there were 100 or so baits, they were very frisky and had no more issues with clogging. I threw out all dead bait, I did not leave it in the well. The temp on flats was 76, so was not that hot. Today, I drilled a bunch more holes into the stand pipe. I d like to see some the drain pipe mods you guys have. Same issue occurred last time I went fishing. I think the well can benefit from more flow unless the drain pipe mod can resolve the issue. That being said, day not bad, caught 15 reds up to 34inches in a few hours.

Will the 1100 quick release pump fit in the 800 housing?

Sorry for typos, I'm on my iPad.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    The 1100 will help out. Just get an adapter and leave the current hose in.

http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    500 thread fins isn't going to work in a 34 gal. live well ,
    Regardless of flow
    Use both wells w/ 1/2 the bait.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    On the main page is a video on live baits. They are suggesting 1 gallon per bait fish such a thread fins, 34 gallons-34 thread fins. Not sure how conservative that is as I mostly use shrimp and crabs. I've read several posts like mentioned above on introducing aerators to live wells. The more active the fish (bait) the more oxy they use and deplete. The size and shape of a live well already has them in a panic and like us they will consume more oxy. I have a pond and thought my spill way was introducing enough oxy, added an air pump with aerators and what a difference. Good luck.
    Bait was pilchards not threadfins. And yes, I expect them to stay alive, especially not die in an hour. The wells on my previous boats kept that many bait alive and more. Those boats had inferior designs on the live well and were smaller. They had the spray nozzle rather than the clamshell which would take slime off bait. I also have a 26 ft boat with a 40-45 gallon livewell with rule tournament 1600 gph pump (clamshell) and is great. I think the egret live well for what I do, may benefit from more flow. That is why I asked. I am going to try to replace the pump in next few days and use my mod drain pipe to see if that improves things, which I think it will.
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    I upgraded the 800 cartridges to 1100s and it has solved the issue of my baits dying. I don't have the clamshell though, I have the down pipe with the aerator and its kept my bait frisky the whole day.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Those boats had inferior designs on the live well and were smaller. They had the spray nozzle rather than the clamshell which would take slime off bait.

My previous boat had a circular well w/built in drain--no stand pipe.
    The "spray down" nozzle agitated the entire surface of the well generating great O2 and flow.
    Yes, much better than Egret design.
    Am interested how greater pump capacity works out.
    Prefer to use my release well for dry storage.
    Let us know.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    I had Frank build my 189 with the same livewell plumbing system as the 2011. 1100 GPH pump, danco air intakes, clam shell, no standpipe drain. The drain is recessed behind a piece of starboard with holes from top to bottom. This drainage system allows the water at the bottom of the well to turn over better and not collect so much ammonia. I also added 2 separate bubbler pumps that pump additional air into the well through 4 lines with airstones.

Several times I have filled the well so full of tiny pilchards (too small to put on a hook but great to chum and get the fish going) that I felt like you could walk on them. I have been pretty stunned each time how well they stayed alive in the well because those tiny baits have been very difficult in past boats. Obviously with bait that small you are going to lose some but overall I can keep them for hours. I have had issues with them clogging the drain holes in the starboard cover for the drain area causing the well to overflow and drain out the back of the splashwell but they live great.

The first thing I would try is putting a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it over the top of the standpipe like Pole Position and Flatsboy have done on their wells. This should do a better job of draining water from the bottom of the well. If I had to guess, I would think that would be a bigger problem than the volume of water flow. Even if you do require more water flow, you should still make this modification to your standpipes. It made a huge difference in the Pathfinder livewells with standpipes.
    Can someone put pictures or the link to the old thread of the modded livewell drain? I know it's been posted but I can't seem to find it online.
  • CaptandywernerCaptandywerner Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I did a test to figure out this same problem. I took a five gallon bucket of water and pumped till it was dry. The first time was with an 800 with 3/4" hose five feet long. It pumped the bucket in 36 seconds. Next I did an 1100 reduced down to 3/4" with the same five foot of hose. It pumped the bucket dry in 32 seconds. Then I pumped the bucket with an 1100 with five feet of 1 1/8" hose. It pumped the bucket in 22 seconds. So to answer your question, if you change to 1100 gallon per hour pumps you much change the hose and fittings to 1 1/8" or will will gain very little.
    I did a test to figure out this same problem. I took a five gallon bucket of water and pumped till it was dry. The first time was with an 800 with 3/4" hose five feet long. It pumped the bucket in 36 seconds. Next I did an 1100 reduced down to 3/4" with the same five foot of hose. It pumped the bucket dry in 32 seconds. Then I pumped the bucket with an 1100 with five feet of 1 1/8" hose. It pumped the bucket in 22 seconds. So to answer your question, if you change to 1100 gallon per hour pumps you much change the hose and fittings to 1 1/8" or will will gain very little.

Yup!:Agree
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand

What happened when you pumped with the 800 pump connected to the 1 1/8" hose? 25s?
    This is what i did to my Egret 189 with a 1100 GPH pump with 1 1/8 fittings and hose. Also take note to the standpipe.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    This is what i did to my Egret 189 with a 1100 GPH pump with 1 1/8 fittings and hose. Also take note to the standpipe.

Thanks Phil, I watched the video and after listening to sound. I have to take a leak.:grin
  • CaptandywernerCaptandywerner Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    mbowers wrote: »
    What happened when you pumped with the 800 pump connected to the 1 1/8" hose? 25s?

It was the same as the 3/4" hose. What ever is the smallest fitting inline in the plumbing is what determines the flow. You can run everything in 1 1/8" and have one fitting that is 3/4" some where in the line and all you will get is the flow for 3/4". In talking with the rule guys at the Miami boatshow, he said the two motors are exactly the same but the flow changes due to the outlet size and slightly different impeller.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    I installed the venturi kit and it has been night and day for me. Pilchards are super easy to keep alive IMO. I mean I keep a dozen alive in a 5 gallon bucket when beach fishing.

I black my well out with pilchards in the summer and haven't had an issue since installing the Venturi kit.

I also added the clam shell which was a bonus.

ZZ15274.jpg
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

Thanks Phil, I watched the video and after listening to sound. I have to take a leak.:grin

That was my intention all along!:grin
  • mike345mike345 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    On a similar topic: I am in process of restoring a '96 18.9. I have a leaking /shot baitwell pump (700 gph rule pro series ) . Anyone have any recs on replacing these? Can they be unscrewed from intake or need to replace through hull as well? There doesn't appear to be a seacock and water flows in through broken pump. Would a seacock be recommended to prevent leaking into bilge were this to happen again in the future? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • ksjksj Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Daniel

Any luck finding a pic, post or thread regarding a livewell drain modification? I get bait stuck between the livewell standpipe and the livewell wall.

Kevin
    No, I haven't had any luck. I actually drilled a bunch more holes on the top of the stand pipe. That helped solve the drainage issues. I had prolly 300 to 400 baits in the well. They did much better. I spoke to frank and it looks like I need to replace all fittings for the the larger pump, including on the live well. I will wait til it gets cold here before I embark on that project. I don't gave an issue with bait congregating around my stand pipe. The outflow from my pump is right behind my stand pipe so that moves the bait away.
    What model of rule pump fits 189 Egret boats? I see a Rule pump with an angled inlet ("C" series) , and the others ("FC" and "STC") look to be bottom entry.
    What pump did you end up installing?

I have a similar boat (2001 189) with the same problem.

Kevin
  • mike345mike345 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Ended up using the 800 GPH Rule 403 series (what my mechanic recommended) I think all of the series have same pump depending on GPH. I believe the C , FC, STC differ on straight, thru hull, sea **** application but not sure of that. Seems hard to find a good review on any of the live well pumps / companies out there : they all seem to be equally bad if read online reviews.