Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Yankeethon...

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
Six months it worked. A couple it didn't. Took its toll on my soul... Needed a good solid purging of demons and thats what I set out to do....

Florida is a forever long state... Boring, flat, not much to do. I play mind games thinking of the crowned surface and how much wear I might be getting with gravity doing its thing. I play games with speed trying to improve on my consumption of dead dinosaur juice. Georgia goes away. South Carolina flows smooth. Gone are the talk radio shows I listen to at home replaced by country or religious stations. North Carolina starts ok. Brake lights, miles of em in front of me, lets me know somebody made a mistake. No map no gps but a good internal compass has me pull off at the exit next to me. The next couple hours is delightful. I roll through small towns that nobody has heard of. Pretty sure I might have gone through Mayberry even. Quaint churches, Piggly Wiggly, used cars for sale in front yards. This is America...
I stop and see an old friend. He has given up fishing and opened a hunting/ tactical store. We share memories and talk of recent issues... Day turns to night. Ground fog and bugs smudge the wind shield. I find a $29 hotel room. Frogs croaking from the mostly drained pool make music in the night air.
Virginia and endless construction is brutal. Maryland beats me up for a $4 then $8 toll before Delaware nails me for another $5. I slide into home base. Grab my sticks and my tuna gear and catch a nap. A Springsteen C/d keeps me company as I drive to the boat. We clear the inlet into the dark of night. My shot at sleep for this shift. I smoke a last cigarette then turn in. I bounce around the bunk but find sleep somewhere. The throttles pull back.
I emerge into a still dark knight. To the east a faint glow of the approaching day. I prep a spread. Gps says we're in old familiar territory. The spread gets wet... The light grows... Water tem goes up a full degree. Four plumes of white water and 4 tlds start groaning. In the grey I struggle to make out a flavor. One fish pulls off but minutes pass and the first of three remaining comes in gaff range. I stroke it and 40lbs comes out of the water to the deck. It looks like an airplane... Long fins start the day... We go some more and a single pop this time... This one shows yellow fins and joins the others. Full light produces a small dolphin as we pass a lobster ball.
We switch to the drop game. Lay it on the numbers and slow but steady pick of small tiles. We put it back on the troll. A single bust adds a longfin to the collection. I see a rod twitch. Shes loaded with a spreader bar in the middle of which is a white marlin smacking all the individual baits. Doesn't find the steel. Pulls down a single bait as it leaves the spread.
Finally a hole opens up the size of our pit. The big eye we hoped for was there. The canyongear hoo machine disappears . Tld screams like a turbine. The rod stands up straight just that quick. Hook has pulled and our shot at our target was done... I throttle up toward the distant beach. Black canyon water goes to a blue grey eventually to a muddy green. You ain;t in Bimini no more Dorothy or Toto. I find the markers and hug them through the maze to the dock...
Grab a slice of pizza. Make my way back to base camp. One in the books. No home run but not a skunk... :)

Replies

• Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 410 Deckhand
    I read about 6 words in that diatribe.
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • on deckon deck Posts: 653 Officer
    Dude...Your Phillip Wylie style is killin' me. Take a month or two off, go write a book, and give me something to read besides the 40 YO book that I currently reading for the 47th time.
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Aw bite me... Its nice to see a fish again after the nightmare of Bimini... Don't like it? Don't read it... So Jersey isn't exactly some tropical paradise but they got tuna, swords and white marlin right now... What do we got at home? Stray dolphin, yellowtails or maybe those exotic cudas or bonitos? That reminds me ... They even have real bonitos here, not the little tunny that we call by that name... :)
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 11,268 AG
    Capt Kurt wrote: »
    I read about 6 words in that diatribe.

you did better than me.
    and no one cares what happens in jersey :nono
    Ray
    I thought you would be giggin frogs in the swamp or something like that... :)
    Ok lets call it Jersii the exotic place west of Bermuda just north of Walkers... Jersey is just a land place but I'm playin in canyonia big pocket like places chocked full of delicious critters of the deep. So, be that way... I won't tell you about the spankin my crew laid on the yellowfins plus a wahoo and fist full of tiles today. I wont tell you about the white bite just south of here that has boats running 20-50 pieces of laundry on an epic world class blistering of the round topped demons of the deep. I sure as hell won't tell you that we have a blow commin for a few days that I'll sit out then get that big eye I want before switchin gears to target a giant or two.
    Oh, and these sword steaks? You can't have any... Nyah! :)
  • SapingasKangasSapingasKangas Posts: 279 Officer
    Ponderous. At minimum, N.E. Region, not Tropics.
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    Ponderous. At minimum, N.E. Region, not Tropics.

Thought you were gone for good!
    Bspot wrote: »

One can only wish....
    giggin frogs is a no no around here, busy setting up the tree stand over the pea patch. and chasing blue gills in our 2 acre lake/pond.
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    One boat out of Virginia had 49 flags up yesterday, saw it on Yahoo.
  • pescador67pescador67 Posts: 66 Deckhand
    Compleat wrote: »
    Ray
    I thought you would be giggin frogs in the swamp or something like that... :)
    Ok lets call it Jersii the exotic place west of Bermuda just north of Walkers... Jersey is just a land place but I'm playin in canyonia big pocket like places chocked full of delicious critters of the deep. So, be that way... I won't tell you about the spankin my crew laid on the yellowfins plus a wahoo and fist full of tiles today. I wont tell you about the white bite just south of here that has boats running 20-50 pieces of laundry on an epic world class blistering of the round topped demons of the deep. I sure as hell won't tell you that we have a blow commin for a few days that I'll sit out then get that big eye I want before switchin gears to target a giant or two.
    Oh, and these sword steaks? You can't have any... Nyah! :)

TTIUWP
    Bspot wrote: »

No chance WetSpot. Thankfully neither you, PooPooBear, DragonBreath, OnDick, Complicated and his croanies can lay ownership claims to this site. Therefore, I shall visit, post or not participate at my discretion. Unless I of course comitt the egreegious act of disagreeing with hillbillies and be banned.
    sippingpingas
    your left flat is spinning and washed out, better hook placement and more salt in your brine should fix that
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,648 Captain
    another cot **** *thon? we need more thongs and less thons. anyway, they are good reads so go at it paul, but as said previously this thread is useless without pictures.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
    sippingpingas

:rotflmao
    sippingpingas
    your left flat is spinning and washed out, better hook placement and more salt in your brine should fix that

It's the hillbilly comment, isn't it....
    :rotflmao
    I'll bet it's more like slurping...that guy wouldn't want any to make it to his chin.
    Wow... My funathon thread has legs of its own... :)
    Deckies got pics. I'll see if I can get. Weather gonna have me boxed in for a few days. Got Sandy related damage that still needs tendin to. Smokin hot Missus coming for weekend to help me celebrate my birthday. Might see if I can find her a striped bass to tug on. In mean time eating like a pig is on the agenda. Might even go run a shaft in a deer or two for grins...

Yall play nice nice til I get back... You too Sippy... :)
    on deck wrote: »
    I'll bet it's more like slurping...that guy wouldn't want any to make it to his chin.

On-****, that "comes" across as the voice of experience or maybe preference.
  • Seriously Paul, you got a lot of play out of the Bahamathon thing, but there are a lot of forums that would be more interested in you Northern adventures than this one.

You better got find a Bluefin before the quota reallocation puts you out of that fishery. You probably have no idea what I am talking about.

Take the suggestions made prior and go write a book!

If you need, I can refer you to a few NE forums who might care about you chasing rat yellowfins off the Carolinas. Tip from those boys, try wahoo and hit the whites if you want epic fishing right now.
    I'm north of that bite too far to play. Our tuna here arent the rats. LFT are 40-60, yft are 60-100, big eyes are like yft but 100-275 and the bluefins could be 50 all the way up to stud 900 class. I grew up with tuna and those regs and allocations and iccat bs are nothing new. Gets worse every year... Thats why I tried the islands... Even our ground species are regulated to the point of not worth going. I'm just killing time and making up for lost charters right now. Nothing serious here... All fun...
    I know a lot of our guys like tuna. They do the chase birds, chunk and add live baits thing. That works well but as I go along here and redial in my game maybe I can impart some tricks that could up their game. Its also possible that if the islands keeps getting tougher that some of our guys might enjoy a trailer trip to really knock out some good numbers.. Like I said this thread is all about fun... nothing serious.
    On the books... I penned a trilogy of action/ fiction ones... Wrote a collection of shorts that I'm going to break into two books (one big game/ pelagic and the other inshore species)... Could and might write one just about Bimini stuff...

Ps I write on lots of northern forums as well... :)
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    You wankers with the negative comments need to chill.

Pablo is a master at whatever part of the deep blue he is in. Pay attention, you will very well learn something not just about fishing, but also about the craft of word-smithing. If stream of consciousness is too much for you, go to the next topic and don't look back.
  • CNTDRCNTDR Posts: 890 Officer
    I enjoy reading all your reports, Paul. Whether they are from the north, south, east or west, they are still amusing. When is the last time we have seen a local reporting on fishing in this thread? If it wasn't for Compleat, there would be nothing but lame ads in this section.
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    CNTDR wrote: »
    When is the last time we have seen a local reporting on fishing in this thread? .

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?125501-Bimini-Aug-14-17

There would be a lot more reports here for everyone to enjoy if the people reading this thread and others here posted reports of their frequent trips over. Don't complain about lack of reports when you don't post yours.:wink
    Part of the problem with that is the fishing "that side" is not always stellar. In fact it flat out sucks quite often and many that go don't score. Or at least score enough to where they want to share... Part of that comes from fear of being scoffed at for a small catch by the "experts" here. Me? I have no shame. My last fish report in the big thread was about porgies in 4 feet of water. To me its a report, a look at what's really happening. I enjoy posts from others that say that they had a skunk as much as the descriptions of mass fish carnage. Still some are shy about posting it and I do understand that as well...
    At least up here , weather permitting, fishing is pretty good. I like it cause we do most of our day time tuna on the troll. The toys we use are a little different than we use down there and I like that too. I use some of the tricks from here down there and once in a while it works. For example, I use a bait called a "match the hatch bar" up here... 8-12 small lures fanned out into really three daisy chains. I don't see their use much in Florida or the islands but I use it now and then and the blackfins love it. Dredges... I do see their use more and more down there... That concept started up here for the white marlin fishery... So our palm trees might be imported up here but now and then this area coughs up some neat stuff...
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,648 Captain
    dpdash wrote: »
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?125501-Bimini-Aug-14-17

There would be a lot more reports here for everyone to enjoy if the people reading this thread and others here posted reports of their frequent trips over. Don't complain about lack of reports when you don't post yours.:wink

that's true. i am still compiling mine and will post one of my last trip.
    On-****, that "comes" across as the voice of experience or maybe preference.

100% true! But, mine comes from experiences with females...You...Not so much I suspect.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Compleat wrote: »
    Still some are shy about posting it and I do understand that as well...

That's for sure. Never know when someone is going to search your entire past and dig up some random video of you teasing a turtle with a sponge or something like that and then try to ruin your life. The drama on this board is sometimes entertaining but mostly just childish. Kind of makes me embarrassed my family picture from my last "report" is now forever plastered on the FS homepage. Keep posting away Paul; there is a lot I can learn from your posts and I really miss the great fishing to be had off the Jersey coast.
    2003 Viking 45C