Search for a better trailer jack wheel

mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
After hurting myself struggling with the factory jack wheel on the AmeriTrail (cheap jack wheel installed WAY off center, too high from the ground and on a trailer with too much tongue weight) I picked up a Fulton F2 jack wheel for a lot of money ($150). It is very expensive but it's the only one I've seen that offers the adjustability of the starting height before engaging the jack: the mounting plate is bolted in a sliding track and not welded to the outer tube so when you install the jack you can adjust the relative position of the mount and the outer tube. By setting the starting height of the jack wheel just off the ground I don't have to jack the wheel down very far which means the wheel swivels properly under that ridiculous tongue weight of 500lbs. (When I try to make the current factory wheel swivel, the wheel just slides sideways leaving black skid marks and digging chips dug out of the concrete driveway). Curious if anyone else has experience on the reliabilility of this F2 jack wheel as so far I'm very impressed with the engineering design of it and the trailer pivots like it's on an air hockey table!

F1413130334_1000.jpg

Replies

• eli_lillyeli_lilly Posts: 135 Deckhand
    I have an F2. It's 3 or 4 years old and does seem to be more durable than other trailer jacks I've had. However, unlike your experience, mine does not swivel well and the the wheels almost always slide sideways. But mine has done that since new, so it's not due to any wear issue. Other than that minor issue, I don't really have any complaint. It still cranks up and down, which is probably more than I can say with my jacks on other trailers. And you don't get grease all over yourself while using it, since it has no place to grease it. I also jam my trailer light plug into the little "cave" between the wheels before I dunk the trailer, keeps the plug from hanging into the water.

There's also a wheel lock kit you can get for it for 20 bucks or so.

-E
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I have a new ameratrail and it also has that same jack that performs poorly in terms of the single wheel turning as you need; it does not rotate the direction you need and slides sideways. That is the only issue I have with the trailer but I must say I was not happy to find that crap jack on it when I picked it up. Was hoping I could just get a new wide double wheel for it but its all one assembly so I am seeking a totally new jack replacement that has a wheel that rotates freely and easily. They offer that F2 as an option on it for $145. I think I am going to call down there and see if they will put that one on an take this crap one back for some credit. I called them and told them the wheel doesn't operate properly and they should not be selling it any more or advising the buyers up front it is a problem as it seems to be common. They said they offer it in a larger wheel too trying to skirt the issue of the part not working properly in the first place. If I was running the place that cheap jack with a single wheel would not be installed on any trailers ever again.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 211 Deckhand
    I'm not sure of the model number but I have the same Fulton jack except it only has one wheel. Once of the reason I chose it was the wheel spins at the bottom. I think the single wheel version is about $30 less. I just though two wheels were over kill for an 18' boat. There is a synthetic washer at the base where the wheel is. I greased that down with lithium grease and have not had a problem with the wheel turning.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    I have the fulton and love it. I moved my boat back a little on triailer, so it is not extremely heavy, but I can't lift it on my own of course... the fulton is great. Occasionally I put a little grease on it.
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    I still wonder if something like this would work: http://www.kornylak.com/wheels/rotacaster.html
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    eli_lilly wrote: »
    I have an F2. It's 3 or 4 years old and does seem to be more durable than other trailer jacks I've had. However, unlike your experience, mine does not swivel well and the the wheels almost always slide sideways. But mine has done that since new, so it's not due to any wear issue. Other than that minor issue, I don't really have any complaint. It still cranks up and down, which is probably more than I can say with my jacks on other trailers. And you don't get grease all over yourself while using it, since it has no place to grease it. I also jam my trailer light plug into the little "cave" between the wheels before I dunk the trailer, keeps the plug from hanging into the water.

There's also a wheel lock kit you can get for it for 20 bucks or so.

-E

Wheel lock kit was included in my boxed set. That lock is not enough to keep the trailer in place on my driveway but it is handy on a very slight incline.

I had to adjust mine a little (I set the starting height a little too low) and when I reset it in the new position the wheel was not turning just like you described. I remembered I had tried to get the wheel to hit perpendicular to the ground the first time I mounted the U-bolts and hadn't bothered the second time. I backed off the U-bolts and rotated the bolts a little so the jack was perpendicular to the ground but not perpendicular to the trailer tongue (5-8 deg difference maybe?). After retorquing in the new location the jack wheels swiveled like butter again. I suggest checking that adjustment on your trailer and adjusting so the jack hits the ground as perpendicular as possible. Hope that helps!

i am not a light unplugger so places to stash my electric plugs are irrelevant. :)