flamingo trip

I want to plan a trip down to flamingo and I am looking for a lil advise from my fellow FS crew. Places to put in, parking, fees gear needed or not needed. mainly going for reds, snook and trout. most importantly directions from west palm beach lol. guessing if i wanted to tent camp would be wise to wait till the cooler months. i thought i heard some one say that there were stands along flamingo where u could pull up to and camp on??? not sure if that is correct. so hopefully you all can help me out.
time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time

Replies

• CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Never been myself. But I can tell you to bring bug spray!
  • TexTex Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Tons of info if you do some searching.

Launch at the Flamingo boat ramp and head east.

There is a chickee at the mouth of Rankin Bight on the water so the bugs might not be too bad there. I just stay away from the mangroves and pray for some wind. All you need is Gulp on a weedless hook. Put in a few miles and you will find fish. Its worth going. Now until October is the best time of year to fish out front. Good Luck.
  • Dj Dan DecibelDj Dan Decibel Posts: 142 Officer
    i agree take lots of repellent once you are out there the bugs can get really bad sometimes take plenty of water and fluids cuz the days out there get really hot especially if you dont have a breeze. also look for clean water most of the action will happen on cleaner water not all the time but most of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    I wouldn't try camping there until a couple of cold fronts have come through. Skeeters can be bad there even in December. It will be about a 3-hour drive from WPB. Park admission is $10 (good for a week) and another $3 to launch a boat. In addition to the marina launch, if you go down to the campground area and head back east to the picnic/amphitheater spot, the road ends in a round cul-de-sac. You can drag the yak 50 yards to the water and launch from there to the little spoil islands and Bradley Key. Park completely on the asphalt in the cul-de-sac, as they frown on your tires damaging the adjacent grass. Dolphin and sizeable sharks come quite close in shallow water, even near the launch areas, so no wading. Tarpon hang out near the marina, so you can target them without paddling very far.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    so basically cold fronts or bathe in off. is it 3 bucks to launch a yak or can i just launch @ the cul de sac and paddle from there.. are there any fees to camp on the chickees? and this is off topic but what colors are you guys finding more productive
  • Dj Dan DecibelDj Dan Decibel Posts: 142 Officer
    i think for the chikee u might need a permit but im not sure though also if u get to the parks before 6 or 5 am you dont have to pay the fees in front of the park only times that i have paid have been when i get there after 6am.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    thanks for the info guys, dan it seems you have been killing it in flamingo, Ill have to drop you a line when i head down that way.
  • mountaintroutmountaintrout Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    irishff727 wrote: »
    thanks for the info guys, dan it seems you have been killing it in flamingo, Ill have to drop you a line when i head down that way.

Hope im not to late. Now is a great time to go.

Get a bug suit for $30.00, the one in cabelas is better than the one in campor, in my opinion.

A ten dollar permit and 2 bucks a nite to camp in the park. If you camp on a chickee remember
    only one nite max. You will be moving your campsite alot.

If you can camp on north cape. On the ocean, windy not buggy and you have fast access to the backcountry
    ( lake ingraham i believe).
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,174 Officer
    My wife and i camped down there last winter. No bugs but the wind killed the southeren side for us so we had to fish the north side which is more dificult to acess. Bring some hand shears to trim your way through some skinny water. The ramp is free but the many power boats who also use it dont have much patience for kayakers. No food was availiable as the restaurant was closed for us so be prepared. Bring some firewood if you have room. Get a pic of the front of your kayak and the 12 foot crocodiles who hang around the ramp in the background of the pic.