Home Ask the Law!

Coral Growing on Bottles, etc

Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 328 Deckhand
If during a reef clean-up or other dive, what is the law about removing a bottle or other man-made item that has coral growing on it? I see both sides of the argument: litter is litter, but it also can be structure for growth; however, unsightly it may be.

Replies

• FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    If it actually has live growth, as a biologist, I would say leave it alone. It will be covered up soon enough, posing no danger to wildlife, and become a part of the habitat.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    if you take the bottle you will be in possesion of the organism
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    If a coral is growing on a piling(s) on a fishing pier which is man made and said piling(s) on the pier is slated to be demolished, there is a permit required to touch any of the corals on any of the pilings, even if it is man made. I would believe there is a similarity between this situation and the one you are asking the question about.

Coral of any species is considered Essential Fish Habitat by NMFS and thus are protected and would require a permit.

The one area that I do not understand how the process works, is how do those that sell coral in aquarium stores get their corals for resale and how this situation in your question applies.
  • Under pending law, even coral frags trade will be stopped.