A Labor of Love

Launched with Phil in UTB at 6:45am today. We headed over to a nearby oyster bar and Phil immediately hooked and landed an 18" red on the Spook Jr. in bone. No more strikes in this area so we went down to a nearby point. Phil's spook got destroyed at 8am. After a tremendous fight I slipped an over slot red of 27 3/4" into the net.

We moved around the point into this shallow bay. It was alive with activity. Mullet were jumping everywhere and lots of bait fish were moving. Six minutes later Phil caught a small jack on the spook. I finally got on the board at 8:20am with a 20 1/2" red on a skitterwalk that I sanded and re-painted gold. Phil got a 20 1/2" red on the spook just 3 minutes later. I picked up a 19" red at 9:05 am on the gold sw. At 9:26am I caught a 19 1/2" red on the sw. Caught back to back small snooklet on the 3" mullet in smoke/gold halo just after 9:30am. We had so many strikes and follows in this area. I had one red explode on my spook jr in bone. My drag was screaming and he straightened out my VMC Sureset hooks on both trebles. Those hooks are now going in the garbage.

We worked this area a long time and finally decided to move on. Over across the channel to another bank. I caught a small jack on the 3" mullet in shadflash at 10:42am. Working down a great bank with grass and potholes, I hooked and landed a nice 24 3/4" red on the 3" shadflash at 11:15am.

Some of the banks we worked today were some of the fishiest I have ever laid eyes on. It looked a lot like areas in Everglades National Park. Just a few minutes later I caught another red of 19 1/4" on the same lure. I picked up a small troutlet on the same lure on this bank at 12:04pm. We worked this bank for a long time but had no more strikes.

We went back to the spot we caught all the reds, but nothing happening. Over to another bank and nothing happening. We were struggling. Back to the other side to work a small pass into some backwaters. Finally, I caught a 20" red out of the middle of the pass on the 3" smoke/gold halo at 2:50pm. We went back into this area and worked the backwaters. No other strikes. Back to another pass closer to the ramp. We were working the mangroves where there was some shade. I threw into the shade at 3:25pm. A fish inhaled the smoke/gold halo when it hit the water and was running along the mangroves. I caught up to her and she turned back the other way and wrapped me around some hanging mangroves. It was a pretty good snook. I held steady and she finally worked her way out of there. After a good fight I slipped her in the net. She measured 26 3/4".

We went down this bank till it opened up into big water but had no more strikes there. Motored up to another bank and worked it back down with the wind. Another grassy/sandy mix that looked so redfishy. At 4:07pm I caught a 21" red on the smoke. Eight minutes later I picked up a 19 1/4" red on the same lure. At 4:35pm I picked up a 19 3/4" red on the same lure. Unfortunately this was the last fish we caught today. The water was rolling out and it was getting skinny everywhere. We worked a few more areas before heading to the ramp at 7:30pm. We were beat. It was a long, but productive day. The area we fished looked fantastic. It was a blast Phil. Look forward to doing it again soon.
Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies

• perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Great job again ba. I am glad to see you out there tearing them up.
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Nice report as always BA. Sounds like y'all had the redfish dialed in man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,020 Moderator
    Good stuff BA, always a great read.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,263 Officer
    Thanks guys. It was a long hot day. We went about 5-6 hours where neither of us caught a fish, which can be frustrating. I caught 9 reds in all, which was very nice. Beautiful area to fish. Nice to explore different areas and catch a few fish.
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Sometimes you have to be patient to be sucessful. You have mastered this by now I am sure. Keep up the great work b.a.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,020 Moderator
    Hey Dave, UTB? were you up near Double Branch?
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    Hey Dave, UTB? were you up near Double Branch?
    Zip it Dave!!! He's an offshore spy!!!
    There are NO FISH in UTB beside Catfish!!
    Not that far up RL. There are definitely lizard fish where I was. I caught 5. I am the Lizard King.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    There are NO FISH in UTB beside Catfish!!

Not true. We have plenty of puffers...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • abm5926abm5926 Posts: 186 Officer
    Nice job guys, I need to get out there with y'all!
    Thanks abm. We need to get out there with you!