Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Stray cat

Steve WSteve W Senior MemberPosts: 613 Officer
What can be done these days about stray cats?

Don't tell me to poison or shoot it.

I have a trap, but beyond that what do I do with it if I catch it?

I understand animal control and the humane society only take adoptable cats. This one is a Tom cat, pretty but no collar, don't know if it has its shots, hangs around all parts of the neighborhood and is constantly harassing other cats.

Replies

• teampryorteampryor Senior Member Posts: 218 Officer
    catch him get him fixed and he will be your friend, if you deserve it. that is.
  • teampryorteampryor Senior Member Posts: 218 Officer
    Pretty much all of our cats have just turned up, most as kittens but some as you have described. We live on a small farm, in the more undisturbed part of Florida. We had this one cat that we called Buddah he just turned up one day and was a great cat, had extra toes and a high crowned head, very unique and cool cat. We always get our cats spayed or newtered, and vaccinations.
    Did you know that cats only like accomplished fishermen and women. That only makes sense right?
  • ramble392ramble392 Member ArlingtonPosts: 40 Deckhand
    Google "feral cat neutering Jacksonville Fl" they will neuter the cat, bring it up to date with the proper shots, this is all done at no charge, I believe. They clip or notch the ear so you or anybody can tell its been fixed and they will return it to your area, I would think if he's been neutered he would calm down and not be so harassing.
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Banned Jax. FlPosts: 5,987 Officer
    My bud called animal control not long ago and they came and picked up the animals. They came back and dropped them back off a few days later and he about fell out of his chair. The animal control officer explained to him that they had been fixed and he would just have to live with them destroying his property..... I haven't seen those animals around anymore so I guess having them fixed causes them to go to heaven.
  • GaffitGaffit Senior Member Jax Bch/Ft. LauderdalePosts: 580 Officer
    Most cats don't have a collar outside. My cat is an orange tom cat and runs my neighborhood. He picks a lot of fights. I break them up when I can but I leave cat business to the cats. I moved to jax with one and now have three by thier choice. I wouldn't interfere unless he's spraying on your stuff and out of control..
    I have a huge wild black and white one around here. He gets in the garbage and strews it all over the driveway after he wakes me up by continuously trying to beat my preventative measures ( which he succeeds at ). I clean up the mess every day only because I realize that every thing has to eat and he is just surviving. That being said.... if the neighbors piggy gets into my garden, the BLT's are on the house !!!!
  • JizzoJizzo Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 1,364 Officer
    We have a ferrell cat problem in my neighborhood. They are always "fighting" in the middle of the night and crapping in my yard (its always by the door or where I walk).

I have researched my options and the only leagal option in trap neuter release...which is BS. I have been considering trapping and dropping them off at the humane society in the middle of the night. I don't think that's legal either. I would kill them (humanely) if it were legal. They're really a nuisance. We have probably 15 or 20 running around the neighborhood.
    -Jon
  • jacqueojacqueo Senior Member Jacksonville FlPosts: 1,272 Officer
    I agree with Jizzo. But I hate cats. There I said it. The cat is out of the bag. We have an idiot that started out with two... And now feeds them all. There are about 50 running in my little cul de sac. We found one dead in my backyard. Frozen stiff and dead. Good boy brewer was my first thought then I worry about disease etc. animal control wouldn't wen come get this cat when it was dead. The system sucks. Sorry to rant but I'm also tired of these **** cats. Lol
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wolferunswolferuns Senior Member Jacksonville FlPosts: 134 Officer
    I used to have a stray cat problem in the back yard next to nature preserve, then I got a pit bull and now have not cat problem. Now every now and then I have neighbors asking if I have seen their cat in the yard.
    If your not living on the Edge, you are taking up to much space.
  • anejo22anejo22 Senior Member palm beachPosts: 1,511 Officer
    trap him n go drop him
    off somewhere else
  • Steve WSteve W Senior Member Posts: 613 Officer
    Ok thanks for the input.
  • Westside MarineWestside Marine Senior Member Posts: 155 Officer
    in china they call it meow-mein
  • GaffitGaffit Senior Member Jax Bch/Ft. LauderdalePosts: 580 Officer
    anejo22 wrote: »
    trap him n go drop him
    off somewhere else

I tried that one. Dropped it 1/2 mile away were all these strays hang out in the woods. It came back two days later.. Cool cat and hasn't left since..
    in china they call it meow-mein
    Makes good crab bait, not that I would know but that is what I heard......
  • Steve WSteve W Senior Member Posts: 613 Officer
    Makes good crab bait, not that I would know but that is what I heard......

My friend had a crab trap out by his dock. The trap is out of the water at low tide and a raccoon got inside. He found it a few days later full of crabs and a skeleton and fur.
  • ThefourseasThefourseas Senior Member Jacksonville, FLPosts: 320 Deckhand
    Am I the only one that laughed at all these cat stories?
  • TrapperTrapper Senior Member In Arlington near the riverPosts: 266 Deckhand
    Trap him in a box style trap and hose him down with the water hose. That should send him running when you let it out