Friend Of Mine Found A Jack Russel Swimming A Few Miles Offshore Miami........

AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,695 Captain
Nobody around, he was just swimming along. They couldn't believe their eyes. They scooped him up and took him home. No ID and nobody claimed the dog. Which leads me to ask, how long can this type of dog swim in an open ocean before it drowns? I guess they were at the right place, right time. My moms dog drowned when it fell off the seawall while visiting when I lived in S Fl.. It was a little Maltese, and was not in the water long, but a Jack Russel is one little powerhouse.

Replies

• SonOfAGunninSonOfAGunnin Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    Awesome!
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,688 AG
    Cubans
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Good thing the little fella found some help.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    Post a thread in the South General forum, maybe someone's looking for him
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    they were chumming for sharks
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    We found a full grown raccoon swimming three miles off Lighthouse Point one time.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    We found a full grown raccoon swimming three miles off Lighthouse Point one time.

Bring him home?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer

Fullgrown?
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,695 Captain

What did you do? This seems far fetched. Lol
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,301 Admiral
    AC Man wrote: »

Target practice!
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,337 Admiral
    This is why you should NOT pull the old "fake throw" the tennis ball...especially with a Jack Russel Terrier....little son of a gun is sayin to himself..."how far could he have thrown that thing anyway"....:dog:grin

...just sayin'....
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral

It was on my dad's old Concorde. Dad had one of the big landing nets so we scooped him up and put him in the fish box. Ran back in the inlet by the lighthouse beach and dropped him back over the side. He was too tuckered to put up a fuss.
    Pretty sure we had BCD's folks with us.
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Mitch I was expecting to hear you brought it back and fixed it for supper. KoonKababs. :rotflmao
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,301 Admiral
    Nobody around, he was just swimming along. They couldn't believe their eyes. They scooped him up and took him home. No ID and nobody claimed the dog. Which leads me to ask, how long can this type of dog swim in an open ocean before it drowns? I guess they were at the right place, right time. My moms dog drowned when it fell off the seawall while visiting when I lived in S Fl.. It was a little Maltese, and was not in the water long, but a Jack Russel is one little powerhouse.
    Depends on the dogs condition and other factors. JRTs are fighters.....

One dog, not a JRT, went overboard in a storm off the Australian Coast, swam many miles, made it to an island, lived off goats for many months. That dog was finally re united...

Chances are good someone is looking for that dog.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,923 Admiral

I've seen raccoons offshore too.

edited for clarity
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,866 AG
    Be sure to get it scanned for a micro-chip. Most of the time they are inserted in the top of a dogs neck.
    Micro-chips are the new ID tag for pets.

Any vet will have a scanner and access to the data base showing who the owner is if there is a chip detected.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,078 Admiral
    Put it on the local news so he can find his owner.
  • PangamoniumPangamonium Posts: 139 Officer
    Did it speak English??? Might be a Cubano ! :rolleyes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alas, poor Fishcake, I knew him well. Fish On !! It doesn't get any better than this.
  • jacsdokenjacsdoken Posts: 125 Officer
    Have your friend try to gets this info posted on facebook.
    Did it speak English??? Might be a Cubano ! :rolleyes

Long story short, this is a life long friend of mine ex girlfriend, so I do not have direct contact. Funny though, a couple of you mentioned Cubans, what does that mean? Thrown/lost overboard?
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Things are so crappy that the dogs are swimming away...do Cubans even eat dogs...
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Long story short, this is a life long friend of mines ex girlfriend, so I do not have direct contact. Funny though, a couple of you mentioned Cubans, and so did my friend. What does that mean? Thrown/lost overboard?

Given where it was found, and close prximity to a population that is the majority, what are the odds?
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    Things are so crappy that the dogs are swimming away...do Cubans even eat dogs...

haitians
  • stringlestringle Posts: 462 Deckhand
    So is the dog okay? What happened?
  • tenacioustenacious Posts: 124 Deckhand
    thats something you dont see everyday
    i remember a buck being pulled out of the water here in nj something like 8 miles offshore still alive. i tried to search for it but only found this one, it was found 1.5 miles offshore.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    I saw a rabbit swimming in a lake one time when I was bass fishing
    stringle wrote: »
    So is the dog okay? What happened?

Last I heard, doggy and everyone ok. They contacted all the appropriate organizations and no one claimed him. Like I said, don't have direct contact with them, but as far as I know they adopted him. It was a couple weeks ago.

Still curious where he came from?
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,301 Admiral
    Last I heard, doggy and everyone ok. They contacted all the appropriate organizations and no one claimed him. Like I said, don't have direct contact with them, but as far as I know they adopted him. It was a couple weeks ago.

Still curious where he came from?

I networked this and have watched ALL the sites.... I have not heard anything....
  • Lost my JRT for 45 minutes 12 miles off Boca one day a few years back. Found him swimming a weed line and he would not get back in the boat.

OK, then one day coming thru Camino Bridge, I know he was on the boat. Got home, no dog, and 30 minutes later one of the Charter Captains from the cove showed up at my front door with the dog.

That's just two of the four episode where he went fishing without me..

Now he's 17 years old and too old to do that anymore.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    My JRT (mix?) jumped off the boat for the 1st (& only) time ~2 yrs ago- when he saw a dock & (apparently) was tired of the boat. I don't think he had ever been in water before & when he surfaced 'wild eyed' he was swimming toward the boat @WOT. Pretty sure he thought he could just walk to the dock... He has NEVER jumped in the water since... He loves my dock, boat, paddleboard, kayak, etc...- but never jumps in & seems to hate to swim ??? I'm actually thrilled he hates to swim, as I don't have to worry about dealing w/a nasty, wet dog every morning when he goes out to potty...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!