Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Where can i find flounder

Ive been trying to catch these darn things for awhile but all im pulling up are 8-11 inchers. i usually go around the meritt island wildlife refuge.. never pulled any out of the haul over canal..i was thinking about poking around jetty park..i can only get to spots on foot or wade. any ideas anyone?

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    the culverts in the refuge will sometimes hold em..

if you want quality flatties, sebastian inlet in november..
  • RedTomRedTom Posts: 138 Officer
    huh ill have to try that ive never thought of looking in those
    RedTom wrote: »
    huh ill have to try that ive never thought of looking in those

not in them, but around them.. when they are open (i cant remember if they open them or close them in september) it drains off water from the MINWR and it also flushes out little minnows and other edible critters.. fish will stage around the culverts waiting for easy prey to flush out
    i know there a big one always pumping water out or at least every time i went its was..i think it is off of gator rd
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    when they are open (i cant remember if they open them or close them in september) it drains off water from the MINWR and it also flushes out little minnows and other edible critters.. fish will stage around the culverts waiting for easy prey to flush out

Since these are for mosquito control...They are supposed to be closed prior to the summer rains so the impoundment will have water covering the mud...thus the salt marsh mosquito cannot lay it's eggs....and because they are supposed to be important habitat...they are supposed to be opened in fall to allow fish and crabs to leave the impoundment.

At MINWR...there are some other factors in play ( rotational impoundment management) that effect the timing of open / closing.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Since these are for mosquito control...They are supposed to be closed prior to the summer rains so the impoundment will have water covering the mud...thus the salt marsh mosquito cannot lay it's eggs....and because they are supposed to be important habitat...they are supposed to be opened in fall to allow fish and crabs to leave the impoundment.

At MINWR...there are some other factors in play ( rotational impoundment management) that effect the timing of open / closing.

upon further investigation it looks like they are open roughly september thru april..
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    They are near rocks. But im in the same boat, and can't manage to snag one even with a pole spear. Funny that the limit is 10 per person lol when we cant even get one.
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • victorythagr8victorythagr8 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    The best two place in brevard to catch them are port canaveral and around Sebastian inlet area. At the port they are found close around the pier at jetty park. Just drop a mullet, mud minnow or shrimp on a fish finder rig straight to the bottom and walk across the pier while bouncing your bait at the bottom until it feel like you get hung. Then put some slack and wait a few second before your set your hook. I udually catch my limit on flounder when I fish around the port. The hard part is finding some doomeats for me.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Playalinda beach produces a lot of flounder for me oddly enough... I just hit beach 12 and can usually get a couple when I target them...
  • Orlando Key LargoOrlando Key Largo Posts: 113 Officer
    Go north, the icw near matanzas inlet have a good amount of flounder year round
    well i went and poked around sabatstian inlet and used a small weight just light enough for it to bounce off the bottom during tide flows..using the live bait that was running in and out but no flounder but i did get my limit on Mangrove snapper.
  • mogantamersmogantamers Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    If fishing for Sebastian flounder gotta wait till at least the first cold front. That being said I gigged a 3lber last week there. Going on Sunday night again I'll let you know how we do.

10-18