Home General Fishing

Shimano Teramar, not that great.

CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
I got this rod on the basis of endless good reviews. Not that it's a bad rod, but there is nothing that great about it. I have a couple star rods and they are, IMO, far better rods. I'm going to get a falcon Lowrider next week. Looks and feels much nicer.

Maybe this thread is pointless, but I wanted to see if anyone else felt let down after purchasing the Teramar.

Replies

• fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I love the rod, but for some reason the guides rusted on mine. I am going to try and get it replaced....
  • PargitoPargito Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Nope.

My teramar continues to impress rather than let down. Paired with my shimano calcutta 400B 15lb test the teramar I have is a medium heavy power, extra fast action 15-25lb test rating, 7ft rod , 10 guides and 1/2oz-1.5oz casting range it has been a solid light tackle snapper rod.

I even got 5lb red grouper on it. Was not easy given the short rod butt but I was impressed that it fought the grouper well. My only complaint is casting lighter weights and lures as well as the short butt. Otherwise it has been a very solid rod for me.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Pargito I think you actually identified what I don't like about it. I guess I just don't like the way it casts. It's heavier than my star rods as well.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,413 Admiral
    You have to remember teramar rods have a fiberglass core. The other rods you mentioned don't.
    It comes in a ton of different configurations. You can literally beat the snot out of it, and if you break it shimano is most likely gonna replace it.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    I have 3 of the 7' medium Teramars that I've been using since 2006 and couldn't be happier.

Which one did you buy?
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    **** n I really an of buying this rod but a 7'6 medium tho.maybe this one will cast longer?
    Hobie outback
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Teramar is a great rod for the money, with a great warranty. I personally prefer the action of the Falcons, but you're getting a more fragile rod with a worse warranty.

Also check out TFO and 13 fishing
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 560 Officer
    Just goes to prove that internet reviews are just that... internet reviews. Everyone likes to fish with different styles of rods, and just because it gets tons of positive reviews doesnt mean you will actually like it. Look at it as another excuse to buy more stuff!
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I understand it has a good warranty but so does star. I'm not saying its a bad rod, I guess I was expecting more. Or maybe I don't know what I was expecting. I just find myself casting it for 20-30 mintues and thinking "I hate this rod."

I think some people make a little too much out of warranties, anyway. You keep your receipt and if it breaks fairly quickly you bring it back and get a new one. Some guys have a rod for five years, throw it in the back of the truck every other day, and then feel indignant when they aren't handed a new one after they wander into a local tackle shop with a sense of entitlement.
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 504 Officer
    I've had the same teramar for 6 years now and it's the best spinning rod I've ever owned. What works for one person might not work another. Find what you like and just stick to that.
  • dt-fishingdt-fishing Posts: 157 Officer
    Carlo wrote: »
    I understand it has a good warranty but so does star. I'm not saying its a bad rod, I guess I was expecting more. Or maybe I don't know what I was expecting. I just find myself casting it for 20-30 mintues and thinking "I hate this rod."

I think some people make a little too much out of warranties, anyway. You keep your receipt and if it breaks fairly quickly you bring it back and get a new one. Some guys have a rod for five years, throw it in the back of the truck every other day, and then feel indignant when they aren't handed a new one after they wander into a local tackle shop with a sense of entitlement.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Check out the custom service counter in a bass pro on any given weekend and 9 out of 10 people that bring in a rod for warranty issues is due to simple use, and not warranty issues.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I just find myself casting it for 20-30 mintues and thinking "I hate this rod."

Not to laugh at your pain, but that line cracked me up! It's exactly how I feel about my Stradic 3000FJ.

After owning both I'd probably buy neither of those rods if I had $100 to spend. Unless it was for tarpon, in which case the Teramar is money.

Most impressive rod based soley on performance in that price point is the BPS Carbonlite or 13 Fishing Omen. Check it out.
  • JF1shJF1sh Posts: 452 Officer
    I don't understand how can you dislike a Teramar. If any company offers a lifetime warranty, it's gotta be pretty good. Plus you can't beat Bass Pro's no questions asked replacement program
  • SteveW_VASteveW_VA Posts: 69 Deckhand
    JF1sh wrote: »
    you can't beat Bass Pro's no questions asked replacement program

When I brought a broken crucial rod to BPS to exchange they asked questions and asked me for my receipt. If you read shimano's warranty policy it actually states you need the receipt. I'm sure it depends on the fishing dept manager per location also
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    The Teramar line probably has one of the best varietys when it comes to sizes and powers, 7 ML to 8 XXH. If dont like the weight id check out the Compre line
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Germ wrote: »
    The Teramar line probably has one of the best varietys when it comes to sizes and powers, 7 ML to 8 XXH. If dont like the weight id check out the Compre line

true.
    compre are really nice, light. 7' m weighs 6.5 oz, not super light, but a really nice rod, i recommend it.

when i bought my compre, it was that in one hand, and a 7' m teramar in the other. only reason i didnt go with the teramar was because i wanted an extra fast tip, they only had fast. it weighed more than the compre too, that was a slight factor. but i kinda wanted the teramar because the tc4 build and the silver guides. i hear they are among the best for saltwater use, compared to black ones and what not. as far as corrosion
    Different strokes for different folks. I can't stand Star rods and there has never been more overrated rod than St. Croix.

I dropped over $200 on a St. Croix and in less than a year, all the guides were rusted, and 2 had broke off. No different wear and tear than my normal usage. Also bought my son one which snapped in half trying to haul in a big fish. Quickly came to hate St. Croix rods in comparison to my 3 Teramars that have stood up to the same workload with no issues for 7x times longer.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    See and i'm on the side of that coin... I love my St. Croix they have taken a beaten and still have been going strong...
    I also have a Star rod (heavy) that's never let me down... don't get me wrong I also like the Teramars ... but even
    uglysticks have outlasted the guides on the two teramars I have..... but I can't blame that on the Teramars... because
    falling and beating up guides doesn't count... LOL
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    My experience with St. Croix rods has been great. The price of a St. Croix is generally a little higher than the performance you get, but I think that's because they're built in America, built very well, and have great customer service. They're extremely tough rods that when taken care of and used properly should give you zero issues. Assuming you're catching fish with these rods, dissecting whether or not you've received a lemon shouldn't take long at all. That said I wouldn't buy a $100 St. Croix, that price point is too competitive.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,660 AG
    Jettypark wrote: »
    See and i'm on the side of that coin... I love my St. Croix they have taken a beaten and still have been going strong...

When I retired, The guys in my dep't decided that rather than the traditional "watch"..they bought me a St Croix Premier and had it "personalized" with an inscription to commemorate my time with the dep't...and paired it with a Penn 260 slammer...
    And now...it has been 5 1/2 years of fishing EVERY DAY ( except duck season..of course :rotflmao) ...and other than it is weather worn from being outside every day...the rig is still flawless and hauling in fish...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ClamshaverClamshaver Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Spending the money on a reel from Shimano is definitely worth it. The rods on the other hand aren't to special in my opinion , just fancy words. 50% of people i'd say that fish strictly Shimano rod/reel get them for free. Gotta love and be thankful for all warranty's no matter what brand your fishing.
    All of you who swear by St. Croix- what model(s) do you own?

As stated before, the Avid that I paid $200 for sucked.
    The Triumph I got my son for a little over $100 snapped.

Just curious which models you have that you love. I'd take a Teramar over Triumph any day. And 2x Teramar over an Avid.
    kodiakzach wrote: »

As stated before, the Avid that I paid $200 for sucked.
    The Triumph I got my son for a little over $100 snapped.

Just curious which models you have that you love. I'd take a Teramar over Triumph any day. And 2x Teramar over an Avid.

6'6 MH 10-20lb Tidemaster
    6'6 M 8-17 Tidemaster
    7'6 M 8-17 Legend Inshore

Each has a purpose and does good job doing what it was designed to do.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    7' ML Triumph, ive hooked hundreds of spanish macks and even landed a 31" redfish
    7' Premiere Medium, hooked the typical inshore fish, large mouth bass, and even used it offshore for mangrove snapper
    8' Heavy Avid Inshore, only been one 1 trip but I caught several 30" AJs on it
    7' Heavy Tidemaster casting, not used it
    7wt Triumph fly rod, it sits for the most part cause im not good at tossing a fly

honestly ive only ever broken 2 rods since I started saltwater fishing a few years ago, and all were because of me, not fishing. I have Stars, Ugly Stiks, St Croixs, Oheros, Quantams
    They were re-designed a couple years back , I have 2 TIS76MF one from about 6 or 7 years ago the other from about 2 1/2 years ago , they are not identical. The differences are slight ,but there is a difference...imo the newer rods are better built.
    I have 3 avid inshores all bought within the last 3 years , you couldn't pry those from my cold dead hands.
    AIS70MF
    AIS76MF
    AIS80HF
    Also have a Premier PS70MF, a TIS80HF and to be honest if I could justify it, I'd own a Legend inshore LIS76MF.
  • victorythagr8victorythagr8 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    sorry but the avid is far superior to the teramar. It is a lot lighter with far better component. The avid is a finesse rod for casting light lures hence how light those rods are compared to the teramar. Teramar is a work horse rod. Teramar are basically for casting live bait and fishing around structure s. The st. Croix rod comparable to the teramar is the tidemaster.

I own a teramar heavy for big snook and tarpons.

Redbone 7 heavy(feels more like a mh) as my dock rods

And my st Croix mojo inshore for my light lure and free lining small bait in the flats with no structures.

Each type of rods are good in different situation even with the same power. That is why you bring your reel with your when your rod shopping so you can test the balance and action.
    Another one of my favorite rods is one that doesn't get much recognition outside the tampa bay area, it is a Eupro. I have a 8' 15-30 # ,I'll tell ya that rod can take a beaten. IM8 graphite , double foot Fuji stainless guides all the way to the top , Fuji reel seat and a lifetime warranty.
    I don't have any problem recommending them and one of our forum members sells them if you don't see them in your local shop.
    http://www.anglersystems.com/euprodtns.html
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    kodiakzach wrote: »

I have 3.
    A 6' light Avid that is not a caster, but is a friggin bulldog. Dont let the light power fool you. It hauled in a 30" red off the jetty with a 1000 reel, and have pulled in 8# bass with it. And it weighs NOTHING. It's in semi retirement because 95% of my fishing requires long casts.

A 7'6" ML Tidemaster that is now my flats workhorse rod which replaced an original Falcon Coastal. It's a good rod, and does it's job well, but IMO, not as light and sensitive as the Falcon. The more I think about it though, part of the bad rap I give it may be due to my being completely unenamored with the reel I paired it up with.

An 8' 30# Tidemaster that sits on a big Penn reel for casting duties to big fish. Only took it fishing once and didnt hook up, (I guess the tarpon/ shark were too scared to tangle with it, LOL,) so I cant comment on its performance. But it is big, light, and stout with a fairly fast action. It replaced an 8' Chaos rod that the tidemaster couldnt hold a candle to in the weight or action dept.

As for the fella that says rods dont matter, well it depends on the type of fishing you do. If you make lots of casts, need to make long casts, or turn a fish away from structure/ cover, rods are extremely important. Other than that, grab your Ugly Stick and go!
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    true.
    compre are really nice, light. 7' m weighs 6.5 oz, not super light, but a really nice rod, i recommend it.

when i bought my compre, it was that in one hand, and a 7' m teramar in the other. only reason i didnt go with the teramar was because i wanted an extra fast tip, they only had fast. it weighed more than the compre too, that was a slight factor. but i kinda wanted the teramar because the tc4 build and the silver guides. i hear they are among the best for saltwater use, compared to black ones and what not. as far as corrosion

Nah, I bought my stellar lite and Teramar on the exact same day last summer, and use them often, but the guids on the stellar lite are immaculate, while the Teramar have rust on them...