Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

GPS antenna question.

As everyone knows by now the new rig is being built as we speak. My question is this...The chartploter/sonar unit is a Garmin 740S. They have installed a Lowrance external radar antenna (nomenclature unknown). Is the Lowrance antenna compatible with the Garmin unit and vice versa? I tried several web searches but can't get a definitive answer so i decided to turn to the experts ! Let the discussion begin....

Thanks in advance KLUELESS II
Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty.

Replies

• Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    The Garmin 740S has it's own built in antenna. I have had 2 of them and they work fine.

Despite being installed in the panel of the center console and under a very large T top, there is no issue with satellite reception for the GPS.

I'm not sure if you are asking that or if you are wondering if the Lowarance Radar will be compatible with your 740S?

If it is the latter, I have no idea.

Good luck.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • KLUELESS IIKLUELESS II Posts: 262 Officer
    The antenna they have installed is on the center console,no t top. I previously had the exact same Garmin unit on my last rig and the reception was fine. I did not request the additional antenna on the build sheet but they they threw it in for free (this is gonna be a catalog boat for them). My question I guess is the Lowrance antenna going to help with the reception and will the compatibility be an issue?
    The Garmin 740S has it's own built in antenna. I have had 2 of them and they work fine.

Despite being installed in the panel of the center console and under a very large T top, there is no issue with satellite reception for the GPS.

I'm not sure if you are asking that or if you are wondering if the Lowarance Radar will be compatible with your 740S?

If it is the latter, I have no idea.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    If you do not need it, do not put it on. Nothing like having something you do not need cluttering things up.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    The antenna they have installed is on the center console,no t top. I previously had the exact same Garmin unit on my last rig and the reception was fine. I did not request the additional antenna on the build sheet but they they threw it in for free (this is gonna be a catalog boat for them). My question I guess is the Lowrance antenna going to help with the reception and will the compatibility be an issue?

Klueless,

Gotcha!!!

I guess I'm a little confused why the even mounted a Lowrance "radar" antenna when you clearly don't have Lowarance aboard. :shrug

Make sure you post pics of the build.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • KLUELESS IIKLUELESS II Posts: 262 Officer
    UPDATE ! I spoke with the rigger and the Lowrance antenna is part of the Evinrude ICON gauge package. Its function is as follows "Required to view GPS speed over ground (SOG), longitude and lattitude, and to support fuel management functions. Works with all Evinrude E-Tec engines. "
    They have installed the motor and will start the final rigging on Tues. I P/U the new Ipiolt trolling motor on Tues. as well I'm looking at maybe splashing her on Thurs.
    There are pics of the build under a different thread under my handle.
    Thanks for all the helpful responses.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    That doesn't sound right. Your Garmin 740s ought to be able to provide a GPS signal to your ICON gauge package. I have that package and it is wired into the NMEA 2000 backbone which gets a GPS signal from my Lowrance HDS 10 (1st gen). You shouldn't need a separate Lowrance GPS antenna to get the system to work.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • PIERCINLIPSPIERCINLIPS Posts: 191 Deckhand
    You don't need the second GPS antenna. just hook the 740s to the network.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Call Garmin, some of the best support in the industry...