Are McDonald's employees worth $15 an hour?

124»

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,698 AG
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    More like " Collective begging" :rotflmao...since with no ability other than to say "please"... you got...what the city council wanted to give..

And...being a right to work state...I did not HAVE TO belong...I would still get everything that all the union members got....but I wouldn't get to go to those conventions...Oh Man!... :dance

Why would you pay union dues if you didn't have to?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Mister-Jr wrote: »

You didn't just ask that, did you?

My wife is an CWA member for over 30 years. She hates it but knows better than to buck the system. Shes proud and happy to have a job.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,190 AG

Me personally?....

Our " Association " ( we learned that the republicans who run city gov't don't like the TERM "union") was very good.
    Of course we had a "representative" assist with contract negotiations.....but depending on how many year deal we struck...we may not have that but once every three years....It just depended on how the economy and other factors were going.
    Anyway, The amount of " per capita" paid to belong to IFFA or either PBA or FOP is nill for our contract representation. I want to say it was something less than $2 a month per member. Since we were also Police officers..it also gave legal representation in case of any IA action etc...

As mentioned...We had nice meetings with catered with food and drink which gets the guys " out of the house" which is nice.
    The Conventions were a nice vacation.....always in nice places all around the state.
    We also got paid life insurance...
    We also got paid a vision/dental stipend up to $1,000 per person/family...all paid to the member thru the Union.

Remember the F in FOP stands for " Fraternal "....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Floridians finding jobs, but often at low wages

As a result of low wages and lost jobs, the median household income in Florida from 2000 to 2011 plunged by $5,668 — a whopping 11.5 percent — to $43,556.

The average retail clerk who made an inflation-adjusted $25,037 in 2000 earned $23,815 in 2011. Professionals, scientists and technicians on average made $45,284 in 2000 but only $42,695 in 2011. Health-care and social workers did a little better, going from an average of $37,148 in 2000 to $38,386.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-florida-gains-jobs-loses-wages-20130902,0,5078502.story
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,692 AG
    If the median is 43 and thats low, then ****, I am below the curve lol
  • Major WaderMajor Wader Posts: 702 Officer
    The real shame is that someone has convinced these people that they should view fast food counter work as a career, rather than a stop on the way to something better.

If you want higher pay, develop your skills and get a better job. Sometimes, that better job is with the same company, and is offered to you because you deliver better quality work than your co-workers.
    Member #4013
    Canton, GA
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    The real shame is that someone has convinced these people that they should view fast food counter work as a career, rather than a stop on the way to something better.

If you want higher pay, develop your skills and get a better job. Sometimes, that better job is with the same company, and is offered to you because you deliver better quality work than your co-workers.

^^^ Excellent ^^^
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew

There are not many good paying available, especially in major cities. Perhaps they could go to college, end up with $60,000 in student loans, and still work for $10/$12 an hour.

Everyone is making less, while prices continue to climb. It cannot last.
    Mister, the idea is to work smart, show initiative and do a good job for your $7.25 an hour. A year later apply for a customer service job which will pay close to that $15 an hour.

Step #3: keep moving up the ladder. It's up to YOU.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Calusa wrote: »
    Mister, the idea is to work smart, show initiative and do a good job for your $7.25 an hour. A year later apply for a customer service job which will pay close to that $15 an hour.

A lot of these folks are from an environment that accepts mediocrity. Even looking down on education to a point where the children are afraid to tell momma how well there are doing in school. A work ethic that is grounded on 'look how much I didn't do today and still got paid'.

I find that quaint, but inaccurate in today's economy.
    Step 4 is to be a part of the good old boy club
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer

That's because your king obummer has brain washed you into thinking all people are equal.
    Smart people make more money PERIOD.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
    That's because your king obummer has brain washed you into thinking all people are equal.
    Smart people make more money PERIOD.

Lol, ever worked, anywhere? Some dumb people in charge simply because of who they are and know

Today's economy is not much different than the economy I lived in back in 1979.

I have a high school education. I did carpentry work until the mid-70's when the economy started going down (here in Florida anyway). I then worked a variety of low pay, moderate pay jobs until I found myself without a job in 1979. I answered an ad in the newspaper for a custodian, in a computer room. About 6 weeks into that job of sweeping the floors, dusting and taking out the trash for these IT people, the Production Manager came up to me and offered me a job with the company (GTE Data Services). A number of people told me that the manager had asked them about me, and some told him I was sharper than some of his computer operators.

Thus began my career in computer operations, data center management, and a whole new world. In this field companies offer free, paid technical and management training to employees and I took advantage of as much of it as I could. I've not done too bad, certainly a long, long way from that $3 an hour custodian job.

To this day I credit that $3 an hour job for providing the catalyst for what I have today. I was able to build a new house, adopt two kids, buy boats and live a normal life. All the while enjoying timely and regular pay increases based on my performance at work.

Just my story, but I'm not much different than today's average hamburger flipper. They have to pay attention, look forward, set goals and be determined to succeed. When they reach that 2nd or 3rd step in their work history, it won't matter if that McDonald's job paid $7.25 or .72 cents an hour.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
    wow...blast from the past. GTEDS. A lotta folks went from Eckerd Drug to that place.
    I probably know some of them. :)
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
    I probably know some of them. :)

I bet you would. If I could remember names! LOL! You guys were hiring big time in the late 80's into the 90's.
  • HiHHiH Posts: 407 Deckhand
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Lol, ever worked, anywhere? Some dumb people in charge simply because of who they are and know

x2 and who they fish with and drink with etc etc etc.
    this is prevalent where I work.
    :fishing The longer I'm Single, The more I get to fish!! :fishing
    Calusa

Your personal story is much like mine, so I understand what you are saying. Sadly, in my opinion those days are gone. There are a couple of facts that point to my belief.

First, there are more service sector, low wage jobs being created than any other type of work. The job growth in American is not keeping up with population growth, and baby boomers, due to lack of saving are working longer because they don't have the money to retire creating fewer job opportunities for younger employees.

Inflation adjusted low wage jobs are paying about what they did in 30 years ago, but the cost of living has not been stagnant, with everything costing more and more, leaving $8.00 an hour workers struggling and often turning to taxpayer provided solutions to help them survive.

I have never seen McDonald's business plan, but I'm sure there is nowhere it says out plan is to only high high school students. People are being forced into low wage jobs because in many cases nothing else is available.

Finally, the growth and power of large corporations with no other obligation that squeeze every dollar out of the economy has stymied wage growth and will continue to do so in the future.

The good old days are over as we continue toward a decade of no little or no growth.