Note to self about working on car

Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,447 Admiral
I decided to do the brakes on my car this morning. I thought about investing in a floor jack, but decided not for this job. I'm worn the heck out after finishing the job due to having to use my scissor jack. I really should invest in a shop fan as well because my garage gets just a bit warm this time of year. :banghead
Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,692 AG
    Harbor freight is your friend
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    Floor Jack + Jack Stands is nice. Or if you get an electric impact wrench, you can get a bit to drive your scissor jack. Over time I've accumulated all of them, but sometimes its still a pain in the butt.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,447 Admiral
    Had the stands, wouldn't do the job without those.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,898 AG
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Harbor freight is your friend

:Agree

You're not a mechanic, so for the 4 or 5 times a year you will use it, it will last for 20 years or more.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    I got a floor jack to carry in the truck, it makes changing trailer tires a lot quicker/easier. That and a 30" section of pipe to go over the lug-breaker bar or a battery powered impact wrench.
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,574 Captain
    Shop fan or big floor fan whenever I work on anything outside or in the garage.

#1 reason = keeps bugs off you
    #2 reason = Keeps you cool
    #3 reason = wifes voice completely downed out
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,447 Admiral
    mjn wrote: »

LOL, the cost of the fan if worth #3 alone. I'm sure we all agree.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Used to have a car w/cleats on bottom of rockers for OEM scissor jack to lock into, was especially secure. Made an extension rod to engage scissor jack that fit HD 1/2" drill & could lift car in seconds w/one hand on drill!

Just made long trip w/car trailer & had an old tire blow out when empty, didn't even know it until gas stop! Had remembered to put scissor jack in truck, just for trailer axles. I carry a perfect size hydraulic bottle jack & pad/blocks in case I need to lift truck.

Wouldn't want my 75 lb floor jack taking up space & rolling around in bed.
    mjn wrote: »

The kind of feature that should be printed in bold on the package.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,102 Admiral
    The thing with the floor jacks if they are not used often enough the seals dry rot & the hydralic fluid leaks out. It'll last a little while longer with the bottles of fluid keeping them filled. Eventually they will quit working at all. I know & i've even had the good ones do it. The thing to do I've learned is go to your son's house & use his jack, that way you got a younger fellow to do it if you have trouble. :wink

X2 on the cheater bar for lug nuts. I got about a 3' piece of 1" square tubing that I keep for busting lug nuts. No reason for being square it's just what I had.
    Reminds me of the 32MM nut that VW bugs used to have on the rear axels. I remember taking a craftsman breaker bar back because we had broken it trying to get one of those nuts off and they guy at Sears asking how many kids we had standing on the cheater when the bar broke. I replied, all 3 of us,

For them you also had to have a way to stop the wheel from turning, so we made a bar from a 4' piece of angle with two holes burned in it to put the lugs through and wedge against the ground to hold it in place while we torqued on the big nut.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,191 AG
    Can you say....High lift jack....

And it can save your bacon if you get stuck...Jack up stuck end...push off jack...repeat on other end...now you are no longer in the rut you dug and are not stuck and don't need a wrecker...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    2 floor jacks. Never had one leak even the one that has been underwater for days a time. 2 jacks allows you to rotate tires too. well 2 and jackstand. get the aluminum jacks when on sale for 30% off or so.

Oh and I do this and oil changes some times so next time I remember what I'm paying for when I have it done.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "