Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Jupiter...Nice Day Fishing 8/29

Headed out early with Rondo aboard the RocknReeler and we're greeted with clear skies, clean water, and calm seas.
IMG_8581_zpsc9970849.jpg

Heard there was some nice live bait just off the Juno roofs on the bridge dump. Picked up a nice assortment of live baits, although you had to wade through the Hornbellies and Blue Runners to get the sardines. Ran all the way out to 700ft looking for weed mats, rips, floating debris...Nada, the ocean surface had nothing. Ran back in and saw some fish popping on the surface in 160 ft. Dropped chum bag, put out some livies, and also dropped down some bottom stuff. Caught a nice trigger, released a Queen Trigger, then had a Dolphin swim up to our boat.
Threw some chunks, dropped in a new livie, which he took right off my hook. Dropped in another, rod bends...big fight....but alas, it was only a Bonita that got the bait. Now we have sharks all around the boat, so we move inside to see if we can find some snapper and such.

Fish the reef in 70 feet, and although the bite was not terrific, we did manage a number of nice fish for the cooler.
Most were holding just inside the west edge of the reef. Here's a nice fat Porgie I pulled in on cut squid.
IMG_8582_zps64a799b8.jpg

Had a nice mixed bag when we finished, just before noon:
5 Yellowtail
2 Mangrove
3 Porgies
2 Triggers
1 Rainbow Runner
and a "Tally Fish" Rondo pulled in on a flat line. Never caught one before, but we took it to the Dock and the charter guys said they "taste like lobster". Rondo said the skin tough to get through, but the filets looked nice. Will have to ask him how it tasted.
Was a beautiful day on the water, everyone should have been out there who wasn't at work!

Replies

• pathfinder11pathfinder11 Posts: 182 Deckhand
    good report, i went out also yesterday a.m. hoping to do some solo wahoo fishing but left the bucket with the yahoo lures on the dock. ricgged up some ballys and worked 125-300 off of singer but it was topwater so no luck other than a bunch of bonitas. once i got past 175 they thinned out.
    by 10'30 i headed out and i found a rip in 650 and got lucky with a school of dolphin, first go around was a triple header which is always fun solo, managed to keep them around a bit and caught a few more, fish were mostly 36-40" i'd say. reset the lines and 2 mins later they were back on. called it a day after that. nothing like getting lucky on a hot summer day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    25 Parker SE
    Palm Beach Marine Fuel - REC90 & Diesel
    Palm Beach & Martin county
    Marine (slip,lift, trailer), Construction, Generators, Skid Tanks.
    561-692-4909
    [email protected]
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Nice mixed bag and appreciate the report.
    Ocean tally's are VERY good eating (IMHO)
    Tough skin but WHITE meat. Bring a sharpener and best blade ...
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
    Like e-money says, that was one tough skin on the tally, however it was well worth the effort the meat is white and flakey, too bad we can't target them.
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,286 Officer
    Thanks for the report RnR
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • Dbsurfer419Dbsurfer419 Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Isn't an Ocean Tally the same as aTriggerfish?
  • RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
    Its like a trigger on steroid, got the same features, however the anal fins and tail are different. Very good eating.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    I've always pitched those guys back... I keep Gray and Queen (Trigger), but never Ocean... My last trip to the Bahamas we anchored up at a ledge and it was all we could catch, so we pulled anchor a moved on for Muttons... Interesting, I'll have to give one a try...
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 502 Officer
    Nice report. That is a fat porgie.
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Thanks for posting!!! I'll keep that in mind when we get into the Triggers, thanks!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]