Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

48 Inch Bull Redfish During 2013 Redfish Spawn

RichardrbloomRichardrbloom MemberMayport, FLPosts: 70 Deckhand
Went out today 08-29-2013 around 3 o'clock and went for some bull reds. Started off messing with some jacks but then got bored so headed to the red grounds and anchored up. Started the day with no bait but saw some crabs swimming and netted them and also cast netted some mullet. Threw a mullet out on the only rod that was already rigged up and before we could finish rigging another rod we where hooked up. Pulled in the fish and was just around 40". Next threw another mullet out and rod starts bouncing. My friend picked up the rod and started reeling slowly to get a firm hookset. Once the fish felt the pressure it took off peeling line for almost a minute. Finally gained a few inches then it turned around and started running again after. After watching the rod for a few minutes we had a feeling it wasn't a redfish. Noticed no head shakes and fast bounces on the rod every now and then. After a 20 minutes battle we had a 80-100 pound stingray right next to the boat. Broke the line and continued to fish. Tide started to slow down and the a rod started bouncing. Before we could pull it out of the rod holder the fish started peeling line off the reel. Fought the fish for about 2 minutes and got it next to the boat then pulled it in. Ended up being a 39" redfish. Put the rods back out and the tide is complete slack now. About to head back with only 2 fish caught out of 3 people and sure enough a rod starts to bend. Picked up the rod and line started screaming off the reel. The run was short and so where the head shakes so we thought the fish was small. Then the fish starts to run again. I call out 36 inches, fish kept running I yell 38 inches, fish keeps running, I yelled 40 inches, fish kept running, then I said this might be our 45 we have been after! Fish started to cooperate after that run. We had the fish boat side and I reach to take my sunglasses off because they tend to magnify things making fish look bigger. Sure enough they where hanging around my neck. Was really awkward trying to pull in a 48 inch redfish due to giant gill plates. Decided to end the day on a good note and headed back to the ramp
zevypy3y.jpgujupenuh.jpg5etu6yby.jpg5ydu4e3u.jpg

-Tight Lines
-Captain Richard Bloom Jr
NortheastFloridaFishingCharters.com

Replies