Keep getting water in tank!

GrouperchampGrouperchamp Posts: 9 Greenhorn
Very time I head out I have to let water out of my fuel water separator. Yes I collect it in a small Tupperware and don't let it drain in the ocean. I know moisture builds in empty tank space so I keep it full after I trailer it out of the water. What else could cause water in the tank? I use rec gas. My gas cap is tight and I've checked it. It's not the best of boats but besides this problem it's done great. I have a 2002 CC 19'8 Sea Fox. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any help would be great. It's hard to empty the water when it's just me and my 6 year old son. Once I empty the water after 3-4 cap fulls from the clear part on the bottom of the separator I'm good. Why do I have to do this every time?

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,623 Admiral
    Are you using any typs of fuel additive?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 522 Officer
    That's way too much water to be condensation. You've got a leak somewhere allowing water into the tank. You need a tube of silicone, not a fuel treatment.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,382 Officer
    The two most common ways to get water into the tank are: The gasket (O-ring ) on the gas cap might be old and cracked. Or, water is entering the gas vent.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 143 Deckhand
    Billat, take a close look at your gas tank vent (if you have one?) it happened to me once at that was the culprit
  • Greendog 2550Greendog 2550 Posts: 91 Deckhand
    I used to have the same problem till I switched to non ethanol fuel
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 779 Officer
    I had a similar issue a few years ago. Ended up being the vent. It was suppose to have an anti-siphon valve, but something didn't work. I replaced it as well as installing a device from Racor that keeps anything from going back down the vent and fuel from burping out as well. Never had a problem since.
  • Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    If you have access to see where the sending unit is, check that. If the boat has a plastic tank it will sag where the sending unit is. When it sags the sending unit cant seal and the water drains into the tank.
  • GrouperchampGrouperchamp Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I use ethanol free gas only. I'll have to check the o ring and vent first. Thanks!