Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Did anyone see.......

The awesome water clarity we have had in stuart the last few days? The high tide and sun high in the sky has let me actually see bottom. Stuart causeway to just outside sandsprint all the way south to rocky point is looking good.

Replies

• Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Cut runner wrote: »
    Seriously?

Could be. With the lack of rain, the Corps has slowed the flow from a high of almost 5,800 cfs (3.7 billions gallons a day) down to 1,800 cfs (1.1 billion a day).
  • ClamshaverClamshaver Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Cut runner wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yes seriously! Go check it out , high tide is around 5 o'clock around the crossroads!
    Goin out tomorrow morning.
    Last weekend blue water was in 50ft instead of 300ft like the weekend before that.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    I was out today for a few hours. The inlet was not nearly as dark and nasty as it has been for the last few months. Even out at 50ft it was much better looking water, nowhere near what it should be but it is improving since they slowed down the water coming out of the locks.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • SFCarlSFCarl Posts: 300 Officer
    I don't get why everyone is blowing this out of proportion. They've been dumping water into the river for decades. Each and every summer. The water quality will be back to normal in a couple months after the rainy season. The dumping isn't going to stop anytime soon either. There is no land to flood and the water from lake okeechobee has to go somewhere. Don't be surprised if they're still dumping into the river 10 years from now.
    SFCarl wrote: »
    I don't get why everyone is blowing this out of proportion. They've been dumping water into the river for decades. Each and every summer. The water quality will be back to normal in a couple months after the rainy season. The dumping isn't going to stop anytime soon either. There is no land to flood and the water from lake okeechobee has to go somewhere. Don't be surprised if they're still dumping into the river 10 years from now.

Don't know about you my friend but you can only kick someone in the nuts so many times till they can't take it anymore.
    Yea the water quality goes back in a couple months but the grass is dead and takes about untill next year to grow then thwy justt dump again and start the cycle over again..
    If they didn't dump for 10 years it would truly be hard to wrap your mind around how awesome the ecosystem in stuart would be

This explains why I put up this post. I'm tired of hearing toxic on the 5am news. Suddenly everyone wants to care about the water they are hardly ever in (memorial day , 4th of July , Labor Day).
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    Clamshaver wrote: »
    This explains why I put up this post. I'm tired of hearing toxic on the 5am news. Suddenly everyone wants to care about the water they are hardly ever in (memorial day , 4th of July , Labor Day).

Really. Your tired of hearing about it ? I am a native of south florida who is on the rivers virtually every weekend and watch the river slowly die every year. Because it happens yearly it is ok? Ignorance truly is bliss. Please don't brag your ignorance. :nono
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
    Really. Your tired of hearing about it ? I am a native of south florida who is on the rivers virtually every weekend and watch the river slowly die every year. Because it happens yearly it is ok? Ignorance truly is bliss. Please don't brag your ignorance. :nono

What a coincidence because I'm a florida native too! I'm on the water 5 days a week MONDAY-FRIDAY. I've watched the river progress to what It has become present day for the last 12 years. There are good times and bad times(mostly good). The news channel exaggerates Marjory that is what I'm sick of. It's good that people like you care about the river. Don't try to tell me off about your weekend fishing trips... Thanks for being such a sport.
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    Always great to hear from a fellow native. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. This was just a particularly bad year. Hope to meet you someday captain. Tight lines !
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
  • monkeybusinessjrmonkeybusinessjr Posts: 380 Deckhand
    They've been dumping it out the SLI since 1937 because we live in a drained swamp. Pissing and moaning won't change those facts. Future projects are aimed at water purity not water volume. There is no fix when you get this kind of rain and there never will be.

PS I'm a native too.
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    It is getting cleaner, but nowhere were it should be. Pecks lake was crystal clear @ 30' yesterday. The beaches from House of Refuge north were very clean also but all points in between still had nasty brown water. Took a few pic on my return to the SLI yesterday.
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer

i'm tired of hearing about it too because most of it is bullship....the dead manatees and other ''claimed'' stuff all happened in the spring 100 miles to the north.....the water dumped from the lake is not ''poisoned'' and does not already carry b/green allergy...the list of accusations made by some is almost silly when the facts are faced.....true, the salinity and color of the water will change, but that happens in all rivers when it rains a lot.....seems as though the people who deeply study the problem (and are ignored by the media) are coming to the conclusion that most of the problems w/ the St.Lucie and Indian rivers are "home grown" because of local sewerage.......again,put down the sign and make a few serious inquires to people who do the ''real'' research and then report back..
  • CATTLE MANCATTLE MAN Posts: 129 Officer
    i'm glad ya'll are getting a big drink of it, sure is great up on the Kissimmee chain,ENJOY!!!!
    Kissimmee is a **** hole, and you sir are a troll
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG

And there you go.
    People sure like their houses to no be flooded even though they live in a former swamp. They don't stop fertilizing their grass or throwing stuff in the storm drains.
    Yesterday and the day before we had light east winds and low current so the stuff spreads out north and south. The fresh water.. water that's dark but doesn't even mean polluted as repeated jupiter water testing shows

Here's a picture from way back. Same thing.. the world was going to end but it didn't
    9yrs ago
    o011415m.jpg

9-1-13 low tide
    LowTide9-1Jupiter.png

9-1-13 High
    HighTide9-1Jupiter.png
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    i'm tired of hearing about it too because most of it is bullship....the dead manatees and other ''claimed'' stuff all happened in the spring 100 miles to the north.....the water dumped from the lake is not ''poisoned'' and does not already carry b/green allergy...the list of accusations made by some is almost silly when the facts are faced.....true, the salinity and color of the water will change, but that happens in all rivers when it rains a lot.....seems as though the people who deeply study the problem (and are ignored by the media) are coming to the conclusion that most of the problems w/ the St.Lucie and Indian rivers are "home grown" because of local sewerage.......again,put down the sign and make a few serious inquires to people who do the ''real'' research and then report back..

Then why does this transformation only happen when the locks are wide open? There have beeen plenty of times we have gotten alot of rain in the spring after a normally dry winter and the locks remained closed, and the river didnt turn into the cess pool that it is now.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
    Because not very often do they long torrential downpours up the middle of the state with out on the coast too.. Though the other direction is very common. So do they open the locks wide open when there is no local run off? Wouldn't stagnant Lake O be covered in algae if that was the source?
    Lake I grew up on would get a bloom every now and the too.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Because not very often do they long torrential downpours up the middle of the state with out on the coast too.. Though the other direction is very common. So do they open the locks wide open when there is no local run off? Wouldn't stagnant Lake O be covered in algae if that was the source?

Lake I grew up on would get a bloom every now and the too.

Maybe its the mixture of salt and fresh water that causes the reaction, i dont know. But to say there is not a correlation between the discharges and the algea bloom is absurd. Maybe if the fresh water wasnt introduced in such a tremendous amount the reaction would be different, but cmon CT you have to admit the huge discharges are to blame for the bloom.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
    fishknut wrote: »
    Maybe its the mixture of salt and fresh water that causes the reaction, i dont know. But to say there is not a correlation between the discharges and the algea bloom is absurd. Maybe if the fresh water wasnt introduced in such a tremendous amount the reaction would be different, but cmon CT you have to admit the huge discharges are to blame for the bloom.

Correlations is not causality was my point. You can't say x and y happen together so x causes y.

I don't know if they are but if I were just asked to guess I would suspect yes. From fertilizers and such.
    I also know the entire system has been changed so much and so long ago what would it have been? With draining the area how stagnant and algae full was the area? Before dredging and jetties and what not how was it? I dunno that's what over 100yrs ago?
    How was it before lawn fertilizer?

If we are teraforming then some things get better and some worse. They could make it better by dumping into the lox.. We don't want it. But we have water control to prevent salt water intrusion up the river, the opposite. They could make it better for sli by dumping into Florida Bay to kill the coral reefs.
    Simple fact is its going somewhere and for a Long time it's gone were it's going. The population grew around it. Same with Brevard on the north IRL right? 23k people in the 50s, well over 500 now.

What's the answer? What's affordable?

In 2 months will it all be forgotten as it is every year?
    I predict the Martin Co. health dept. will upgrade the water quality at Sandsprit Park..

I'll tell you why when the results are shown.
    I predict the Martin Co. health dept. will upgrade the water quality at Sandsprit Park..

:huh
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    It seems most here don't really know what exactly is going on with the algae blooms. Smaller freshwater lakes have algae blooms in summer, either because of excessive fertilizer runoff from yards or simply higher levels of sunlight. What is happening in the St. Lucie is that nitrates and phosphates from both yard runoff and lake Okeechobee releases is getting dumped though the locks. Higher nutrient levels lead to increased growth in the algae, as that is what fertilizers are meant to due. This is a SALTWATER algae that is not present in Lake Okeechobee. It is present in the estuaries in which the canals run into. The BG algae that has happened to grow this time has direct effect on us, as it is irritating to skin. Now, the main problem is eutrophication. This is the process where after the algae exhausts the nutrients in the water, it dies. After sinking to the bottom, bacteria begins to decompose this algae, and in the process uses high amounts of dissolved oxygen. This in turn removes the oxygen used by fish to breathe, and as can be expected, most will die.
    The salinity also is dangerous to the river. Many fish, oysters, and other organisms have specific salinity tolerances. If you throw a sailfish in a pond, it won't survive. The same goes with the fish already living in the SLR. The water becomes too fresh for them, and they either leave or die. One thing worth mentioning is that most of the fish that are targeted frequently have wide ranges of salinity tolerances. Reds, trout, snook, tarpon, etc can all survive in even fresh water, so they are not going to be effected as much by salinity changes. For someone targeting those species, they may not immediately notice any changes. It is only when other problems begin that these fish have to move.
    The third problem is turbidity. Basically, the water is brown, the water is murky, light doesn't go though murky water, seagrass needs light, light doesn't reach seagrass, seagrass dies, more eutrophication.
    This is about the St Lucie River only. As far as I know, the Loxahatchee and Taylor Creek are not connected to lake O. So, in Jupiter and Ft Pierce, the problems are just excessive freshwater, turbidity, and local runoff.
    we were very lucky w/ the allergy blooms...from what i personally observed it lasted for about 5 days and was not nearly as encompassing as ones in the past or ones at other locations this decade....your ''local runoff''also includes the sewage problem which is now being questioned as a leading factor with the problem here,and in Lee Co. ,in Brevard Co.and other waters

well, i was only 50% correct.... the water quality (bacteria) was raised, but only from poor to moderate....my prediction was based on the fact that the two (one to hold the vial and the other to dip the cup) took their sample at about dead hi water......
  • Trit21Trit21 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    So, in Jupiter and Ft Pierce, the problems are just excessive freshwater, turbidity, and local runoff.

If you look at Google maps, Taylor Creek is actually connected via a canal to the water in Stuart. Not sure how much water flows but it is connected.
    Tom

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live: Orlando
    Boat: Ft Pierce
    2000 Tiara 3500 Open
    Thank you all Bill Nye's and Einstein's! If anyone wants my opinion I think that POS levy is fragile ,and Army Corps doesn't trust it as much as Mother Nature!
    On other news my friend has gigged about 50 flounder in or in the vicinity of sand sprint the past two weeks. Not a big fan of the slaughter ,but he ate every **** bite! I've lost a few fishing buddies to their remarks on the water. I believe I've been calling it the Bahamas. The pocket has always been a mudhole I don't even know why they bother taking a sample there. I reported a gas/oil spill from the weigh docks to shrimpers last year. Massive/ BP status! Never heard a thing about it and never got a call back...
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Could someone translate that to English for me? TYVMIA.
    Could someone translate that to English for me? TYVMIA.

The water is good. The flounder's are fresh. The bloom is over , but my friends opinions won't change.