Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

South Goon 8/28

ill keep it short and sweet, since its a pretty crap report.. went out yesterday and got two decent reds but the wind was RIPPIN... so bad that i didnt even fool with pics because by the time i did all that i would have drifted 1/4 mile lol....

same results today, but under much frendlier conditions.. immediately after getting bait we found a school that was already moving north in a hurry.. in so much of a hurry we couldnt even catch up with them.. tried following them around until we found another group.. but they were also ripping through there.. not sure what was up with that.. at one point we counted 7 nice pods, none of which would let us near them.. im pretty sure these were large, and wise reds.. i say that because i witnessed the biggest tail ive ever seen on the flats tip just briefly about 50 yards ahead of us.. had to be a 30lb fish AT LEAST.. just couldnt get near them.. finally found some singles and doubles around and i managed this dude.. perfect tourney fish.. a credit card width under 27" with tail pinched..

i spent quite a bit of time on the main flat, didnt see any reds but ran over a couple of hero trout.. made my way behind a very shallow island... 12" or less.. crystal clear water.. and finally found what i was after.. sort of.. first tail i saw, wasnt moving at all... i was tossing a cut bait past it, reeling it right into the zone, and the tail wouldnt even move.. i thought for sure the fish had to be dead so i plunked it right on top of him and ZOOM! he was gone.. this behavior continued.. tailing fish, not moving, not paying any attention to anything almost as if sleeping.. one i got so close to i was able to bump it with my push pole.. very strange behavior.. this was very shallow, and clean water, at about noontime.. the water was really hot and i didnt expect to see anything in there but it was holding a good amount of fish.. i ran over countless ones who were literally buried in the grass, and i never even saw them until they blew out.. waiting in ambush maybe? ive never seen reds hold so still for so long (except when its cold).. the ONE cruising fish i saw, was headin south past me while i was heading north.. had on a live finger mullet and had to pull a harlem globetrotter behind the back cast which was dead on..

saw a few more dead still tailers after that but not even a live mullet would budge them .. ive never seen them act like that.. does anyone have any insight on what the hell they may have been doing? :huh

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    They were enjoying the sauna....:rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    They were enjoying the sauna....:rotflmao

that water was very shallow and ridiculously hot.. usually that time of day they arent up in there.. but the one i pulled from there was very warm to the touch..
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    You posted that second rat red pic about 2-3 weeks ago.
    type in south goon and compare it to all the other pictures :) maybe you need your vision rechecked, gramps.. or maybe senility is setting in..

and here's a tip that will help you narrow it down even further.. i almost always unhook the fish before snapping a pic.. if youll notice (put your spectacles on) the line is hanging out his mouth still..
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Don't sweat it...all my pictures are the same fish too....I keep them in my release well for days taking pictures under different lighting conditions and I change colors on the CAL's sometimes....I also ask other fisherman if I can have their fish to take pictures of since I just don't catch any very often. :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    You have to post a pic of your boat/ seat/ platform setup.

Looks like you've found a new home. My only concern is when I get out there they'll see the red canoe and scatter, thinking it's you.
    You have to post a pic of your boat/ seat/ platform setup.

Looks like you've found a new home. My only concern is when I get out there they'll see the red canoe and scatter, thinking it's you.

it **** sure aint purdy but if i can remember, ill snap a few shots when i beach it this afternoon..
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Good report Marc, you are doing the work and getting the results!

Photos are pure, not easy taking them by yourself.

:thumbsup
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Don't sweat it...all my pictures are the same fish too....I keep them in my release well for days taking pictures under different lighting conditions and I change colors on the CAL's sometimes....I also ask other fisherman if I can have their fish to take pictures of since I just don't catch any very often. :wink

ah dont give away the secret dude!! lmao..

tuna, you dont catch enough fish to have very similar specimens in your collection of photos.. some fish are **** near identical.. some fish you may have caught on a past trip.. of course you wouldnt know this because.. well.. you know :) i think ill start using the bump board again.. boring **** pictures but.. they eliminate discrepancy from those who fish twice a year..

oh btw tunacan can i hold some of your sharks and catfish for pics?? thanks!!