Any Luck Trolling....???

Our offshore trips this season have been rather limited. We usually start offshore (50 miles plus) out of Big Pass and troll, hoping to find blackfin or wahoo, then end up fishing any interesting bottom we mark for grouper; but this year has been a complete bust (for pelagics). Most reports I have seen over the past couple of months revolve around bottom fishing. Wondering if anyone has had any success with the pelagics. We are planning a trip around the September full-moon.....just wondering if its worth the effort to put out the spread. Any input is appreciated....thanks in advance..

Replies

• doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    We trolled a little the last 2 times we were offshore. Late June in 170 ft, found a nice weedline, caught bonita. 2 weeks ago we only ran out to 135' and found a nice weed line, we trolled for a bit and only caught bonita although we saw plenty of peanut dolphin under the bigger mats of weed. My buddies were out 3 weeks ago and dropped some butterfly jigs under some mats of grass and caught some blackfin and a nice wahoo in 135'. All reports are due west of gasparilla pass.
  • capnkingfishcapnkingfish Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I appreciate the info....we also found a nicely formed weedline (for our area) in 122' out of New Pass (Sarasota) on Aug. 24. Unfortunately, we had left the trolling gear home in favor of bottom fishing paraphenalia. I'll give the butterfly jigs a try if the situation presents itself in the future. Thanks again for your response.